Posted: Jul 9th 2010 10:53AM Littleron said

Last week you ended with:

"and something so awesome, I'm buying a time machine so that I won't have to wait until the fall to experience it."

Now what in this weeks column was that awesome? A haunted cellar? Really?

Talk about false advertising, I thought you were going to reveal a complete revamp of the LI system or new traits, something that had pertinence to the long term gameplay not some fluff item I will enjoy for 10 minutes or so.

I'm a sad bunny.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 11:17AM Mr Angry said

Yeah I was waiting on this news, did Turbine stop you posting about the PvE session play?

I've seen the haunted cellar done really well in EQ2 over the last 3 years, so this is hardly groundbreaking stuff.

I just get the feeling that any Turbine news is spectacularly underwhelming these days. I hope Massively will use a little more control when hyping articles, as I'm pretty sure a lot of folks will be bemoaning the lack of awesomeness here :(

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 10:54AM Thac0 said

I cant wait for this to go F2P, i would go back now but its hard to do it knowing it can just play free forever in a few months. You betcha I'll be buying stuff to level quicker too!

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 11:12AM Fisk said

Seems Awesome! If the prices are somewhat correct it will take 3 months for a VIP to be able to buy Siege of mirkwood (last picture in gallery 1500 points) since you get 500 points a month as a VIP.

Can't wait to play lotro again, thankfully there is a free week comming up next week for EU players :D

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 1:46PM (Unverified) said

Just a quick comment... the VIP payment will be 15$. So 3 months will be 45$, and Siege of Mirkwood was less than that ;) So unless you're paying to play the game with all VIP features (money, bag slots and all), it's not worth it...

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 7:43PM Tom L said

A three month sub is $29.97. If you go month by month it's $45.00. But, if you sub for more than one month at a time the price is $9.99/month

At that price you might want to reassess your conclusion.

Ta,

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 11:20AM Mr Angry said

This made me lol, shouldn't be too hard

They're going to continue to roll out content updates on a regular basis, and may actually increase the speed at which these appear.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 11:28AM (Unverified) said

I thought last weeks hyperbole about an impending "awesome" announcement, to be no more than standard marketing hype. This really hasn't done much to change that view.

Sure the "haunted cellar" seems like fun and I'm sure it will be enjoyable, but I hardly think this merits some sort of gaming epiphany.

"Awesome" is a word that is used out of context so much these days, that it no longer carries and significance or weight.

Now if you had sprung mounted combat on us, then I would recant the above statement.

Posted: Jul 10th 2010 2:28AM Tovrin said

What! Isengard in 2011 wasn't awesome enough? Sure ... It's detail light, but it is only an announcement.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 7:31PM (Unverified) said

No my friend it was not only an "announcement". My wife telling me my dinner is burnt and she's running off with the Milkman ( a classic UK stereotype) is an "announcement".

This was "something so awesome, I'm buying a time machine so that I won't have to wait until the fall to experience it" to quote last weeks Massively article.

On mature and sober reflection, maintaining a level head and reasonable sense of perspective, this was simply an a promotional for a new novelty instance and a preview of the Turbine Store. It was not a clear indication of the Rapture commencing or the Dead Kennedys reforming.

It failed to move my spirits or bowels.

Isengard next year. A specific date would be nice. If it's in spring then we have at least 9 months to reach level cap, before the world ends in 2012.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 11:42AM Carolina said

I hate the way the store looks, I really hope they polish it to look like the other things in the game.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 12:13PM Liltawen said

Finally they're going to do something about character models?-thank God.

The strange thing about the Enedwaith map is that Tharbad doesn't seem to be on it ( Where the Bruinen and Sirannon meet in the NW corner).A sort of mini-Osgiliath/ruined city would be a very interesting place to go.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 2:45PM aurickle said

They didn't say anything about character models. They said there would be new models for cosmetic items. So while your character will have new silhouettes thanks to different sorts of gear, the characters themselves will be unchanged.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 12:38PM (Unverified) said

Totally underwhelming so far. I would like more details on the DirectX 11 update. That is the only thing so far that sounds even remotely interesting.
Hounted celler? You have got to be kidding me! How infantile is that?
Also, my great fear with all the "convenience items" in the store is, that they are going to make the game so inconvenient that people, probably even subscribers, will have to buy these "convenience items" to have a halfway decent game experience. I mean Turbine will have to get people to spend their money somehow. Some deeds and virtues are already way to annoying. I am sure they will make that even more so. So people buy their stuff.
Also it is interesting that they have been planning this for so long. This is pretty much when they said "no it wont go free to play". So once again, they were lying.
I am disgusted!

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 12:40PM (Unverified) said

Liltawen, I dont get your complaint about the character models. They look pretty good IMHO. They certainly look way better than in most F2P games and infinitely better than in WOW, which really, really looks old now. Cathaclysm does not seem like it will improve that much either.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 1:08PM Mr Angry said

On the surface they look OK, but definitely lack variation my issues are :

1) Elves just look poor, their arms are too long, their faces puffy and the hair styles and variations mean that only maybe 3 or 4 are ever seen in game. Botoxed Stretch Armstrong. They tend to constantly squint and have awful facial expressions.

2) Hobbits - look like fat man-children, appalling hairstyles, do not feel heroic or even cute. Silly 'emo' hairstyles added a bit later, these definitely have no place in Middle Earth.

3) Humans - very poor variations, facial models almost identical, identical heights for all characters. All you see is long haired me with stubble, or Gandalf lookalikes. The one face fits all model really kills customization.

4) Dwarves - awesome all round, could use a few new beards, that is all.

WoW toons definitely have more 'character' than LOTRO, it's a bit of a shame, you see some incredible Tolkien art and even fan art, why are these realized by the character models? They might be very detailed, but overall they are pretty bland.

Also let's not go making excuses that LOTRO is a F2P game, so is the best of that bunch, as this has not been the case for the case for the last three years and I think given we are talking about one of the biggest fantasy IP's out there. We should expect magical things from Turbine to enable us to feel connected to the world via our avatars.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 1:58PM InfinitasX said

Two concerns.

The ability to buy faction mounts with turbine points, and what will happen to destiny points?

Firstly, earning a faction mount is usually a challenge. I can see why they are offering them in the store, faction grinds aren't the funnest things in the world, but they were a necessary evil for that epic looking mount! This cheapens the mount (People who don't have max rep will end up having it). Maybe if they gave the rep one and the store one 2 different skins, and changed the hits to knock you off stat on the store one to be lower, it would be better. I know your mount is mostly cosmetic, but it usually takes effort to get the really nice ones, and that effort should be rewarded.

Second, using destiny points, you can buff your character's XP gain (2x!), remove dread, etc, etc. If they offer buffs and XP boosts thru the store, what will happen to the destiny point system? Monster play leans quite heavily on it.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 2:20PM Tom in VA said

I really HATE the faction grinding and some of the deed grinding in LotRO, personally. What you describe as a "challenge" I see as "watching-paint-dry tedium" and I'd just about rather tear my own eyeballs out than do it.

Thus, the ability to purchase (rather than faction grind) a particular trait or mount sounds like a really good option to me. I really despise the way LotRO, for example, forces you to "rep grind" just to use certain stable/swift ride waypoints.

The destiny points question is a good one, indeed. I have wondered about this myself.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 2:28PM InfinitasX said

Its true most rep grinding in lotro is "paint drying tedium", however some players see it as a challenge and that probably what turbine would describe it as.

Traits have an impact on a character's strength, so the ability to buy traits should be a "no", the store should be all fluff, like the emotes, cosmetics, etc.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 4:55PM (Unverified) said

Only VIPs are able to spend DP, so this would be the only option for anyone on a different plan.