Posted: Jul 8th 2010 8:30PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
From the looks of the last video released, the game doesn't look a far cry from World of Warcraft (except for the actual setting of the game) I'm not too big on stories in my MMO's (but then again there hasn't been an MMO that focused on delivering a good story and did it well). I will definitely try The Old Republic out, however, it looks to be mor of the same and that wont hold me over, especially some slightly more intricate AI. I don't know if it will necessarily be better than WoW but I think it could be just as good.

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 8:39PM (Unverified) said

Must everything be compared to WOW? I mean I love the game don't get me wrong but there is absolutely no resemblance to this game and WOW. The story is different, the setting, graphics and characters are different and the way it's played is different. where do you see that it's like wow?

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 8:51PM (Unverified) said

With only having reference to videos of combat of both WoW and SWTOR I don't see how they are played differently. They both look like a typical skill bar RPG. When someone says it plays differently I expect something along the likes of AoC or TCoS.

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 8:56PM Daelda said

WoW is the standard - the "Big Man on Campus" - so yes, everything is compared to it. It is like talking about Mobster Movies without talking about "The Godfather". Or talking about Fantasy Novels without mentioning "The Lord of the Rings".

As to TOR's AI - it sounds like it is much better than that of other MMOs that I have seen. The trick is to balance the AI so that it is more complex, but not so complex and realistic as to take away the fun. Too much realism can ruin the fun of the best of games. But it sounds like BioWare is doing a decent job at keeping a good balance so far.

As to does it influence my choice of MMOs? Of course. I play MMOs to be engaged, immersed in the story and enjoying myself. Anything that adds to that for me will draw me towards one MMO over another. If the AI looks and acts more like a real, living being - I am more drawn in than I would be if the AI acts like a mindless automaton.

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 11:00PM (Unverified) said

What a silly question. Of course it will be compared to WoW and you should know why. Especially when the game look's like they are playing WoW with a Starwars theme. I'm like the least biased person you will ever find, I'm just calling it how it is.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 1:06AM Ingrod said

For now the only thing that have a resemblance to WoW is a 2 min combat video fron a gameplay demo.

The whole game experience is not equal to a small video, true?

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 8:49PM Daverator said

Well if you must ask how it is like WoW.
It is an RPG allowing you to level up a variety of different class types to perform roles such as tanking, healing or dps, instead of being alone you are set in a server with thousands of other players. Also rather than striving for strictly realistic graphics it is set for a more stylized or "heroic" appearance.

As for the article itself, Aggro distance is a small part of AI. Like it fires once per actual combat engagement. But the fact that they care about it, leads me to hope they might care about other small details, and many small details make for important details. So its a point in their favor, if a small one.

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 8:53PM (Unverified) said

In response to the question posed by the article, AI matters a lot to me. Ultimately I'd like for them to be indistinguishable from players.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:48AM Audacious said

This comment reminds me of the only boss encounter in World of Warcraft I genuinely enjoyed playing.

For those not familiar with it, one of the encounters in the game pits you against a group of ten other NPCs who's capabilities are virtually equal to that of the players. Indeed they're actually all conveniently labeled by (player character) class to indicate exactly what they can do.

It was, essentially, a PVP encounter, but with a (surprisingly competent) AI serving as your opponents. They would use crowd control, almost the entire list of skills and spells actual players would have.

It sure beats the hell out of watching a dragon swipe at some heavily armored idiot a twentieth his size because he yelled at him enough to get his attention.

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 9:44PM Zaetal said

I don't see how "aggro radius' of various sizes", "mobs that attack on sight and mobs that don't" are "new". Sure their heads might be tracking you, but even the Sims do that now. And taking available cover is standard FPS fare these days....

This is still an MMORPG, with more talky bits and lore, a star wars setting and apparently actionbar driven. Will come down to how much actual MEAT is in the game, how many hours of content are in each of the areas and what you're allowed to do in your downtime.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 10:19AM Kuriboh said

In this aspect, I think FFXI light years ahead of the rest. Mobs in FFXI aggro mechanisms are quite impressive. You actually have to know what type of mob you are about to encounter to be able to get pass it undetected. Depends on the type of mob it could be sight, sound, smell (yes, smell), low HP, magic...

You truly need to know your stuffs if you want to be sneaky and sometimes, this is vital in a dungeon.

Posted: Jul 8th 2010 11:51PM Aquaryon said

Looking top notch! I can't wait! Compare it to WoW all you want.... thats definitely not a bad thing... just ask over 11 million players. Plus its Bioware and Star Wars. Awesomeness written all over it, well hopefully.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 3:16AM (Unverified) said

There was a long Q/A about the SW:TOR Beta on Reddit yesterday:

Bioware closed it down though, but the beta players answers are still their:

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 3:55AM Miffy said

Never trust previews.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 4:00AM Kalec said

Ok, one thing that bioware said is very true .... that thing is: "Once you go full voice acting you don't go back".

I played AoC and the full voice acting in the starting zone got me really enthused about the game and it's story ... I was geniunly interested in the lives of these ppl and what they were going through. Once I left Tortuga (or whatever it was called) and found out there was no voice acting I left the game.

A fully voiced mmo is a VERY nice idea .... now import the game mechanics from Terra and Global Agenda (aka targeting instead of point and click) and I'm sold. Right now I'm a bit skeptical because it does seem to be a fully voiced WoW set in space!

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 8:31AM (Unverified) said

As much as Tera's combat (target-less) sounds/is cool it gets really old really fast when it comes to PvE. I am/was in the Focus Group/Beta testing for Tera and I thought the game was great but it's definitely not something I would want to play for hours a day just because it gets tedious when killing the same mobs over and over (which so far all their quests have been the same collect 50 of this item).

As much as Tera/Global Agenda's combat really stuck out at me, after trying them it's not something I want/can enjoy in an MMO. But that is just my opinion.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 11:03AM (Unverified) said

That's why most players play FPS style games in small doses at a time. That type of combat is stressful, tedious and prone to carpal tunnel syndrome. The more relaxed the game play, the longer people tend to stick with it over longer periods of time. I prefer sticky targeting and auto attack combine with special attacks. I like it becasue it stresses the importance of my character and his innate skills over my own, that is the purpose of a RPG after all.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 12:51PM (Unverified) said

Tabula Rasa mobs had an excellent AI. I was often blown away by how they would react to me not from aggro range but line of sight like any sensible creature. I never put my finger on what I didnt like about that game, still dont know.