Posted: Jul 6th 2010 11:16AM (Unverified) said

I did the Beta Testing and played TSO for about the year. There were so many prbolems with it, it was clear the the development team had no idea about MMOs when they released it. Within the first week, there was an exploit where 1/2 the players basically were able generate enought Simloens to build Mansions rather quickly. The economy never recovered from this, and it was only quasi addressed a few years later when they opened up a new server to start from scratch.

TSO need to go one of two routes: either become a Second Life type game where players could add custom content and objects,

Or

Make it into a Microeconomic simulation, where every Sim had a Job, and that Job was to make goods that every other Sim would need. For example, you could have a Sim who was a forester, and he would gather the wood to sell to furniture makers, house builders and other Sims who need it to make finished products. The furniture makers would then sell their goods to a merchant, who made the goods available to the entire Sim city. If not enough Sims were in a profession, the price of the goods would go up, and eventually a shortage would occur into more Sims went into that profession.

Each profession would have a mini-game, and the Sims would level up as they got better, resulting in either quicker gathering, or making better quality goods.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 11:35AM Tuza said

That sounds a bit like communism!

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 11:43AM (Unverified) said

The Sims Online was the very first game I ever beta tested. I remember having to convince my parents to send $5 to EA for a disc, and then spending weeks playing the game and submitting feedback. I was helping! I was making a difference! It felt so good! You just don't get that feeling anymore in modern betas. Or maybe I just grew up and stopped being so naive.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 7:12PM Saylah said

My friends, kids and I still lament the fall of TSO. It was more like they'd never played The Sims AT ALL. Much of what made TS so popular were absent such as custom content and career/tracks/jobs that weren't very silly and tedious mini-games. Their attempt to force an economy was horrible. Every property was pretty much like every other. I think most players wanted exactly what TS was PLUS co-op not a completely revamped game with motives to chase. We did BETA and release but couldn't stomach it for long. We all returned to the single player version which we all still play every new version that releases. Albeit not for long since we're pretty hooked into MMOs and soloing TS just isn't what it used to be.

Give me TS4 that is like Red Dead Redemption... The full single player game EXACTLY like what we play it for and a multi-player world where I can progress a different character where the jobs are game controlled like the things you find on Facebook. The rest of the time people will socialize, decorate and act the fool. That's most of what is needed.

Posted: Jul 7th 2010 2:04PM Evy said

I was the biggest Sims addict ever. I was overjoyed when I heard about TSO and even moreso when I got into the beta. I was so in love with The Sims and so very sad to see what TSO became. I lost interest very quickly, for all the reasons you state in the column. It was like none of the developers had ever actually played The Sims...

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014