Posted: Jul 6th 2010 7:10PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, make it where even less people can use your product, that's real smart...

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 11:44PM (Unverified) said

The thing that bothers me about AjaxLife's shutdown is that it shouldn't have to end like this. Katharine could have simply pulled out Second Life support from AjaxLife, and continued AjaxLife as a "service-based" client for OpenSim-based grids. If she had done that, then the Lab can't really say anything or hinder AjaxLife's normal operation.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:24PM (Unverified) said

via her AjaxLife blog: http://blog.ajaxlife.net/2010/07/official-ll-stance-ajaxlife-is-not-feasible/#comment-3172

"Katharine Berry Says:
July 7th, 2010 at 4:50 am

AjaxLife’s performance on OpenSim is poor (this may be because performance on OpenSim in general is poor; I don’t know); furthermore, AjaxLife usage on OpenSim is a tiny fraction of that for SL, and I’m not one of them. :p

I could run it for this purpose, but I cannot pay for it. And I already cancelled the server anyway."

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 5:34PM (Unverified) said

Also, it's relatively painless to compile AjaxLife and run it locally when compared to compiling other viewers for Second Life.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 1:30PM (Unverified) said

The "Linden Lab guns for service-based Second Life viewers" headline, I think, wildly overstates what's actually happened here. The Lab shut down exactly one publicly-accessible server for exactly one viewer. AjaxLife itself isn't prohibited, only (at most) multi-user AjaxLife servers. One could speculate that, until they have time to address the issue systematically, they'll have similar objections to other multi-person proxies / servers. But if you host your own server (gesturing at Amazon EC2), you can still use AjaxLife to connect to SL from your mobile today, afaik...

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 2:30PM (Unverified) said

You've got a fair point. It certainly looked like a larger issue at the time of writing - although, perhaps, it could still be problematic to a number of pieces of software in development, I imagine.

And yes, one can still run one's own edition of ajax life on a system of your own, though it would need to have the identity strings altered to circumvent the ban that I understand to be in place on it presently.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2010 3:54PM (Unverified) said

Are you sure it's banned by identity? I thought they'd just banned the IP of the specific open shared server/proxy...