Posted: Jul 5th 2010 6:38PM Laren said

Rent-A-Gear is a poorly thought out game mechanic. It is a sad attempt to try and compensate for some of the games short comings...

The only semi-valid argument I've heard is: "it'll be out of date in 10 levels anyways, so who cares if it disappears". Fine... then why make it disappear!?

So, why would people rent gear? To level up faster? Maybe the level up experience should have been fixed instead. To have a more fair pvp experience? Maybe it should have been tuned. To compensate for not having great gear? Maybe the gear grind needs adjustment.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 7:50PM Danieros said

Leveling with alts maybe? That way you do have disposable income from your higher level characters.

I haven't really used the system yet, so I don't know how useful it is, but regarding buying from NPCs, it really isn't worth it, but so is the purchase of gears from NPC as they want you to participate in the economy. I thought this could be the death of crafting (temporary blues and golds...), but I was wrong.

As a reward from dailies it certain is a bonus, unless you are well equipped.

But statwise this gear isn't really that good considering the temporary nature and lack of upgrading options (can't enchant, socket, use a godstone or armsfuse). If they at least made it was good as a +5 equipment full of white useful manastones 10 levels below the maximum that can be fitted (maybe even let us choose which ones are fitted) and with a basic godstone, then yeah I'd consider using those, especially on alts as it would be a "pick and good to go for the next week" kind of equipment.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 6:52PM (Unverified) said

I haven't really messed with this yet, but will use tokens from the daily quests to play around with it, as I'm getting those for free. I can't see buying it outright, just too expensive for what I can craft myself (and often make a profit doing it too).

Also, if you are working on just leveling up as fast as you can, the Abyss gear might be a better option, and it doesn't go away after a week or two. For alts it might make sense, if you have a high level feeding kinah to them.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 7:54AM (Unverified) said

or you can fix the poor drop rate of the game. Seriously a few number changes as opposed to getting an art team to make new gear seems alot hard. These armors offer some rare set options though. They can't replace other gear but the main thing they do is probably give people a max price for similar items on the auction house.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 10:03AM (Unverified) said

This doesn't really compare to broker prices due to the limited nature of the items. They can't be enchanted or slot manastones, and they disappear after a few days. The new flux vendors are an example of a price limiter, in that they sell exactly the same products as you can get on the broker. Prices for crafted gear on the broker will remain unchanged because they're still superior to these in every way - more versatile, not limited by time, can be resold (vendored or extracted), etc.

I think Wade has the best idea, these could be nice if you're leveling an alt and have money to burn, though I don't even see that being common. Typically the main reasons to buy better gear pre-50 are to get unusual stats like att speed and movement speed boosts. Most of your bonus to key stats (like physical crit and magic boost) comes from manastones, which these lack. Normal players just don't have this kind of money unless they get a few lucky drops, or manage to find a reliable market niche and spend a lot of their grind time doing crafting for cash instead (Which is always a poor idea, grinding for levels gives a better return for time invested than farming cash ever will).

These seem like a waste to me - something less experienced players will buy and fool around with, but experienced players will ignore in favor of free quest gear until they're at level cap ready to get their permanent end-game sets and start enchanting. Aion's structured heavily around completing long quests and farming bosses to acquire rare items to brag and show off. Something you can easily buy by farming some kinah or tokens that goes away after a while is quite strictly the opposite of that collector's mentality.

I suspect part of the problem may be the mismatch in NA/EU economies versus the inflated Korean economies. If the prices were significantly lower these would make more sense.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 10:36AM (Unverified) said

As a currently leveling player, I would only use these via the daily quest tokens. However I am *really* looking forward to using these tokens to fill in a gap in my leveling gear for a long weekend or perhaps even longer. The temporary nature of the gear doesn't seem that bad to me if it comes from daily quests, which I want to do anyway.

So free temporary items as a result of doing quests that I'm doing to level anyway? Yes, awesome, well implemented.

As for the other side, the purchasable gear, I haven't compared the two types yet (is the token gear the same as purchasable temporary gear?) because well, I'm sort of poor (I barely scraped together the kinah for my attack speed gloves ((and they're leather cause chain was twice as expensive)) and forget about the boots). But I agree with others, the ability to deck our your alt is great. Two reasons: 1) It makes leveling faster, definitely, 2), these levels gaps seem to be setup to deck out twinks in gear to go have a blast rifting for a weekend, or even longer.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that rifting and in general world PvP is going to make a massive comeback once these server merges take effect.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 6:01PM ElfLove said

*waves* Hello there!

I'm curious about Aion and considering that Blizzard is now...well....displeasing me greatly...I'm on the hunt for a new MMO.

I'm running a quad core and an ATI Radeon 4870 X2 HD (9.2 drivers)

Will that card run this kind of graphics heavy game?

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 7:00PM (Unverified) said

Yes, it will, Valis.

But I have to implore you to at least play the trial. Then you must consider that this is most involved (story wise) that the game gets. It turns into more and more of a grind and NCWest seem adamant about driving the game into the ground.

Just, please, do some research on the other comments from Aion articles on this site before you purchase.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 11:54PM ElfLove said

Thank you for the info. ^_^

However I've looked around the official site...I can't seem to find the free trial. o_O

Why I Play: ArcheAge