Posted: Jul 5th 2010 8:18AM Meagen said

I like all the various special drop weekends in Guild Wars (Lucky Weekend with its Four-Leaf Clovers and Shamrock Ale, Special Treats around Thanksgiving with Hard Apple Cider and Pumpkin Pie), but my favourite has to be Wintersday. It has snowball fights! It has candy canes! It has a battle between the goddess of Light and the god of Death for whether the winter will end early or stick around longer! It has eggnog! What's not to like?

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 8:44AM (Unverified) said

Apparently I like them with Ewoks now.
We can has moar Ewoks? And possibly a Teemo?

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 9:34AM Dumac said

The Guild Wars event PvP minigames are great, the Dragon Arena, Rollerbeetle Racing, Costume Brawls...

I'm not too keen on event items, they're useless and farming them, while great for making money, is the opposite of fun.

WAR also had some great PvP-focused events, also great times... Starting to miss that game. :)

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 11:07AM (Unverified) said

WAR's Night of Murder event was great fun it's first run through. The GW events are great, as well as the WoW drunken festival (although I am not that familiar with WoW)

I wish events stayed special, and were not over-used.
Example: DDO rolling out it's 'Winter Event' every two months to the point it is no longer a novelty, and now just completely annoying.
(especially when it highlights every gaping flaw in the abysmal physics engine used in the game).

Make events 'special' and rare.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 11:45AM VioletArrows said

I've only seen the holidays in WoW, DDO, and Free Realms.

WoW: The holidays in WoW are just hideously unbalanced. The fun is there (food, mini-games, storylines), but only if your characters are at end levels or you absolutely do not give a crap about most of it in the first place. Once you start caring, most of the holiday is a hideous grind (Fire Fest/Love is in the Air) with a crapshoot at the end if not just outright bullshit (Children's Week/Hallow'sEnd/the ones involving forced pvp).

DDO: I've only been playing seriously since December/January, but I've only seen the Risia Ice Games, and the egg collecting thing back in April. Both of them were frustrating as hell and I do not touch them anymore. I just sell whatever coins or prizes I pick up because I can't use them either (again, too low a level, save for pastry that clogs up my inventory). Really only care about whatever loot or xp bonus they put in for the rest of the game.

Free Realms: Again, I was too low a level to do anything except throw cake at someone. That was fun for about 10 seconds.

I'm seeing a really stupid trend here. :/

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 12:37PM (Unverified) said

Generally, I think events based on real world holidays are overdone. Usually you end up with a bunch of junk clogging up inventories (which for some reason every game maker cheaps out on) The events usually break from the storyline of the game or are only marginally representative of the game world and at worst a pop-culture nightmare that breaks any sense of immersion a player might have in the game.

Game makers should limit these "holiday" events and focus more on real content or else build actual events that pertain to the mythos of the game, but I guess they just do it because everyone wants some "shiny" that will usually end up sitting in a players bank an hour after they get it.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 12:40PM (Unverified) said

Oh yes, another thing. I would put aside my dislike of "holiday" themed in-game events for anything that involved hunting ewoks. No matter what the game.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 1:10PM (Unverified) said

My favorit holiday event was when CCP gave everyone in EVE spaceship sized snowball launchers with giant snowballs. Was great fun to go pick on newbs and miner by shooting them with snow balls or just getting a huge fleet together and having a 500 vs 500 snow ball fight. EPIC is the only word that comes to mind. (and yes I still have my launcher with melted snowballs.)

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 2:18PM Monkey D Luffy said

I like my events to be very Japanese. Final Fantasy XI has the best events in an MMO and i can't wait to see if FFXIV can top the amazing events.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM