Posted: Jul 5th 2010 5:45PM Nadril said

I got invited into the beta and the game is honestly an EVE Clone. It was bad news for me (I don't like EVE) but I guess some people will get something out of it.

I will say that the game looks very dated. Like a lot of the environments looked like Anarchy Online to me. The other thing is that even though I didn't explore much what I saw was pretty barren land.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 6:19PM (Unverified) said

An EVE clone how? The combat system? The user interface? The skill system?

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 6:18PM Firebreak said

It sounds like the game is not even done yet, man there really should be a process for testing stuff before they release it. You know some king of system where people get together and test chunks of code by playing through it before more code is released. That way they can have an environment missing content and have the graphics turned down so the testing can go as quickly and smoothly as possible.

If only would come up with something like that.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 6:30PM Nadril said

@Hayoo: All of the above.

@Firebreak: Yes I know it is a beta, I was simply stating what the current BETA is like. **BEEPED BY EDITOR FOR PROFANITY**

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 6:41PM yeppers said

@Firebreak... unfortunately, the type of "beta testing" you're describing doesn't exist anymore. These days, "beta" = "pre-release".

Beta keys are given out haphazardly as either contest prizes on most of the gaming websites or packaged as bonus material in some other game or pre-order.

Sounds like a great idea though.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 7:43PM Saker said

Have to agree with yep not like it used to be... These games are really in need of testing! The state of the things that are released is just a disgrace. That people are paying for them in ridiculous.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 8:32PM Loki1 said

Since EVE is an open complete simulation, i don't see nothing wrong with being a clone of it.

While if you're a clone of a non-open limited-minded themepark like WoW, then there's something wrong.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 7:08PM (Unverified) said

Yea I got invited to beta as well. I think if you just sign up for beta they'll give you a key tbh. But in all aspects its an eve clone on land. First I thought it might be a good idea but its not. It felt like eve. I mean you could walk around and such but at all times your in this robot thing like your ship in eve. The skills are exactly like eve's with a few changes. If mean if you seriously like this game, you should go play eve. You'd like it a lot more.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 11:42PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, beta access to this game seems pretty much guaranteed. I got in just days after submitting an application. It really is Eve on the ground which means you can't just go afk while traveling or mining or fighting or doing pretty much anything like you can in Eve; you have to bore yourself to death while holding W, A, S, and/or D down.

The lore reads like slightly-alterred Eve lore. The character creation and skill system is nearly identical to Eve. The UI: chat, targeting, target info, [insert endless supply of unmanagable little immersion-breaking windows here] all might as well be copied and pasted from Eve. Aside from movement, outfitting and combat work just like Eve. Hangars are just like space stations from Eve. Other than the aesthetics of the world, the only difference I noticed was in mining which was a bit more engaging than Eve's, but that's not a difficult feat.

Fantasy RPG's really have all been basically the same since the beginning of time, so it shouldn't be taboo for sci-fi RPG's to be so similar, but Perpetuum makes one wonder if CCP wouldn't be in the wrong to file a lawsuit.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 10:20AM (Unverified) said

except that in eve you don't have abysmall pathing issues like this game heh. I tried this for about an hour and couldn't handle the movement or combat.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 8:47AM Bartlebe said

Pretty much just restating what everyone else has said at this point.

The game's UI is entirely Eve's. Also, firing weapons, equipping your robot and doing most things feels exactly like it does in Eve. The only difference is some neat mining features and the ability to WASD control your robot.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 9:31AM Daverator said

So if I thought Eve was OK, but hated not actually being able to drive and would have rather been on the ground, this game is for me?

Sign me up.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 11:01AM (Unverified) said

Not for the casual gamer for sure. To be honest I found it incredibly boring with low level grind that is some of the worst I have ever experienced. Yeah Eve on the ground sounds about right.

Posted: Jul 9th 2010 9:23PM (Unverified) said

EVE on the ground with mechs sounds pretty awesome to me.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories