Posted: Jul 4th 2010 7:24PM halfcaptain said

a good balance between exploration safety that still allows you to actually aid in completing sites is the stealth bomber class. it may take a little longer to train for than some ships, but a trained up nemesis can safely get you in and out of low security sites (and low to null security space, for that matter) while still allowing you to dish out some pretty substantial damage (upwards of 3000dps, fit properly).

just thought i'd chime in. great article, Mr. Drain.

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 7:25PM halfcaptain said

should have read "exploration AND safety." wish there was a comment edit function. is there? am i missing something?

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 7:27PM halfcaptain said

ugh, one more mistake to correct: upwards of 3000 VOLLEY damage, not dps. for all you EFT nitpickers out there.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 3:40AM Pitt said

I do my scans differently to the OP.

I put down 1 probe, and max it to 32au, if any unknowns appear on the scan list i select it and position 4 probes over it, and continue narrowing down the signal from there.

Why would you drag 4 probes over each planet 1 at a time? sounds like a waste of scans to me. Unless ive been doing it wrong all this time?

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 10:34AM Brendan Drain said

Pitty, this is actually the way I do it too. In the article, I suggested using four 8AU probes over each planet after doing that initial wide-range (32AU) scan. The first 32AU scan tells you how many signatures are in the system but they'll all appear as big red spheres since you only used one probe, so you don't know exactly where to place your four probes.

After that, I place four 8AU probes around a planet I can see there are signatures at (usually starting from the middle ones outward). This gets full 4-probe coverage over most of the area up to 5AU from the planet so if there's a signature around that planet, 99% of the time it'll show up as a red dot. Then it's just a matter of narrowing it down, starting with 4AU probes.

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 7:26PM Shaard said

Interesting timing since I returned to Eve under the 5 day free offer this week and thought I would try and scanning and work through the exploration missions. It reminded me EXACTLY why I didnt go back to Eve. I got to grips with the basics of scanning quickly enough and the first anomaly mission was fine but then I moved on to the scan probe missions. The very first one I would constantly get 99.99% on the gravametric training site...but could never get 100%....and then it would DISAPPEAR and no amount of scanning would bring it back (although after relogging a few hours later they were back....at 99.99%...ohhh and then vanished again).

Perhaps if the tutorial didnt actually get closed because of another tutorial constantly springing open I would have got further, however it was just an excercise in frustration. I know theres a great game in Eve but my god, it shouldnt be neccessary to work so hard through what are essentially bugs (although usability issues might be closer to the truth) THIS late in the games development.

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 10:29PM Brendan Drain said

This happens when you haven't got a high enough scan strength to get a 100% lock on a particular site. With the skills at level 3, most sites in highsec should be scannable. Some things you can do to increase your scan strength include using a specialised astrometrics ship, adding gravity capacitor rigs and switching to sisters core probes. You'll soon see the big difference these things make!

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 7:28PM Shaard said

Oh I should also have said, informative article :)

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 7:29PM Ageek said

Thanks for all these articles. I recently reactivated my account and have been using these articles as basic guides to try things I wouldn't have thought of. I am surprised by the things that I do actually like that I would never have given a second thought to trying.

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 11:31PM Aetrix said

It's worth noting that cosmic anomalies can be scanned without a probe launcher, as the on-board scanner works just fine.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 12:48AM godlyhalo said

I don't think this article really stressed how difficult some signatures are to scan out. I have been doing exploration content since the time I started playing EVE around 10 months ago, I have done stuff in high and null sec mostly, with some occasional low sec stuff. Stuff in high sec tends to be fairly easy, except for the occasional pesky Radar site. Null sec sites tend to be much much harder to probe out. You need a Covert Ops ship with very good skills to get every signature you find. Not only skills like astrometrics, astrometric rangefinding, covert ops, ect. But you need strategies on how to lock down a signature. I have encountered a few 10/10 deadspace complexes, which are probably the hardest things you can attempt to probe out. They are incredibly difficult and most people will give up because they don't know the techniques to lock them down. My strategies are as follows:

The time efficient way: Requires 7 probes, 6 probes surround the target and one probe on top of target. All of the probes are on the same Z-axis. This allows for quick resizing of probes and is relatively quick. This works for most signatures except 10/10 deadspace complexs and some radar sites.

The best way I have found to scan out 10/10 deadspace complexes, or other hard signatures to lock down is to put 5 probes on the X-Y Plane and position them around the target, then put one probe above and below the signature with a varying position along the Z-Axis. From my experience this allows for the best results when trying to lock down signatures. My quick method may only get 85% strength on a tough signature, where as this strategy will almost guarantee success.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 2:49AM (Unverified) said

The difficulty you have encountered is almost certainly caused by your technique, which I would not call time efficient.

Using more than 4 probes will increase your scan deviation, especially if you're putting the probe right on top of the dot/in the middle of the sphere. More probes does not always give you better scan strength.

Most people make a square of 4 probes around their target, on the same level, although some create a pyramid by placing 3 on the bottom and 1 on top.

In a covert ops frigate with mediocre astrometrics skills I have no trouble scanning any signature I have encountered. Sure, some are still quite difficult, particularly the radars, but most I can get in 1-2 minutes.

I didn't make this technique up: found it on the forums where it is advocated by any serious explorers. Give it a try next time you're having difficulty.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 2:07AM (Unverified) said

Good article. Exploration is one of my main activities in Eve since it can be done casually :p

Though the article is only to provide "basic" info on exploration, I agree with previous posters that a little bit on probing strategies would be extremely helpful to new players who don't have a lot of experience with placing 3D balls in space :P

I believe 4 probes are minimum in pinpointing a signature.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 3:12AM (Unverified) said

nice article!
it would be nice too, if you would consider w-space scanning, because this is my daily job..

is it possible to find exploration sites in w-space where i need a codebreaker or analyzer?

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 10:16AM Brendan Drain said

I did an absolutely massive article this time last year about exploration inside wormholes. My corp got in on wormholes as soon as they launched and I took the time to write up a clear guide to the entire process and the sites you'll find there:

Hope that helps!

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 8:41AM (Unverified) said

Dont forget that the scan list resets when you dock or change ship.
Also if you get 2 signature dots then almost always the one closer to the orbit of planets is the right one.

Posted: Jul 7th 2010 4:33PM (Unverified) said