Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 1:27PM Enikuo said

• 1 heart
That's really depressing. I've never played(?) Second Life. It just sounds like a really awful drama.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Hmmm. When I first cam to SL in 2006, everything was always gray and unrendered. I thought it was my old computer and a terminally laggy game. Turns out it was a temporary bug of a new server that hit the grid just before I did...

I left for nearly 3 years, thinking I lacked what I needed to log into SL, never knowing the bug was fixed a little after I left, because I didn't even know it was a bug...

I think its interesting that the marketing folks tried to get the employees to stop calling it a game. I think that decision did more harm to Second Life than any other ever made by the company.

It is a game. Its not a game in the 'kill and elf' style, but it is a game. Its social play time - that's a form of game. That's what people do with it. They create, socialize, date, debate, and sometimes, yes, even kill elves.

See this recent article for more on that viewpoint: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2010/07/what-went-wrong-with-linden-lab-dwight-schrute.html#more

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 2:27PM (Unverified) said

Well, that's where we generally run into some trouble with definitions. If we expand the definition of a game enough to cover most of what is done in Second Life, then it also covers most of the things that people do that we generally agree are *not* games. Is social activity (on and off-line) a game? Well, yes and no. Depending entirely on the individual.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 3:39PM (Unverified) said

But I think you'll find there are few things people do in Second Life that are not games/entertainment. There are people in there running businesses and just that, or education - but they are a tiny fraction of the greater whole that logs in to play with each other.

That's the mistake marketing made back then, and which hopefully will be corrected now with M. getting the axe.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 7:56PM (Unverified) said

Very good article so far. I remember the gambling ban like it was yestarday. That caused a lot of friction at the time. Can't wait to see the final installment.

_________________
Little Lost Linden

Posted: Jul 4th 2010 4:24AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

I recall 2006 when there was a competition for when 20K concurrency would be hit. I didn't win.

I am glad the Lab and SL is dying though, it gives more room for more progressive grids such as meta7 to take over and provide a level of service far greater than the Lindens ever did.

Of course, it is also a technologically superior grid at a price 1/10 that of the Lab for owning land.

Let us hope 2010 is the end of Linden Lab and the start of the best content creators moving to less restirictive, yet still IP aware grids.

Here is hoping Tateru that you write some posts about each of the major opensim grids out there, and how they have the opportunity to save this gaming genre.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 9:00AM (Unverified) said

Tats, I'd love to get references to the sources to the "alternative reality" of GOM. I certainly never heard that version before!

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 9:37AM (Unverified) said

It was repeated by several Lindens in the vicinity of Ahern shortly after Philip left the scene after doing his bit to quell the alarmed masses. I happened to be standing there at the time (it's where all the action was after all).

I'm not sure how much credence the alternative version should get - probably not very much. I think the generally accepted version is the more likely to be correct. The most interesting part of the event, however, was that Labbers were telling two conflicting tales, and that's probably the most significant part from my perspective.

Anytime Labbers start contradicting each-other, there's usually a significant story lurking in the background.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 12:58PM Azzura said

I miss 2006 - when I was 1 of 200,000 members...and ALL textures loaded within seconds.

SL is a great place - if they would just restructure, get some real Customer Service, and some pro database and network specialists in there....and have them all work together.

I've made money from working in SL....and I've lost money on every land purchase I've made :) Nothing more addicting in SL than Land Accumulation!

I rarely get on anymore - tried this past weekend swapping some land with someone that wanted to connect their land. I do have fun creating and scripting when I'm on messing with Safety Girl.

Drop by and chat!