Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:51PM Lionhearted said

This is scandalous -- the dreadnought Galaxy class ship comes with a cloaking device? And other things that normal federation cruisers don't come with? I thought the whole point was to avoid "micro" transactions that hurt game balance?

Ugh. I so wanted to play this game, but didn't give it a shot because I didn't have a computer that could handle it at the time. Now that I do, I'm not interested anymore. Cryptic has ruined it for me, no question. Why would they cheapen their games to this extent?

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 9:52AM (Unverified) said

My understanding is that the Galaxy-X has one fewer rear weapon slot and tactical console slot, but gains the cloak and phaser lance-- a lot have reported that the performance is either disappointing or on par with existing T5 ships. I've also heard the argument that having another beam and beam buff console far outweighs the lance in terms of DPS. Most of the people complaining about this appear to be non-players.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:56PM NeoWolfen said

It may have alleviated hurt feelings..but currently it isn't as it has just been pulled due to an as yet un-noted bug, so raging is commencing as normal. lol

Folks on the STO forums think it is likely the fact that when bought for the 2000 CP (£15) currently you only get the ship on the character you bought it for, not account wide for all your characters like everything else bought in the C-Store.

Frankly I hope they are right or this could well be another My Little Sparkle Pony.

However no cofnirmation asot what the bug is exactly has been mentioned by Cryptic thus far.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 7:47PM Deadalon said

Pay pay pay pay - Who cares about Enterprise ?

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 10:47PM CCon99 said

You forgot to mention the part where this new ship costs $25.

It's funny how Jack Emmert promised and promised that Microtransactions for their games would never have game effects unless you could earn them in game through game play. Yet all their C-$tore species have unique traits with game effecting stats that other players can't have access too. This new Sparkle Pony ship has 3 game effect features (Only Fed ship that can cloak, only Fed Cruiser that can use Cannons, and the only ship in game that can use the lance weapon) and is being sold for $25, yet you can't earn those species or this ship through gameplay like they promised you would be able to.

Then again, Jack and Cryptic lying is nothing new. They also said preorder, CE bonuses, and lifetime bonuses were unique to those purchases and not even 4 months after launch they're available on their store. Jack also claimed MMO Microtransactions make him want to die, yet his company is now in the $25 sparkle pony business. Funny considering how much content STO is lacking, yet the only updates you hear them doing are C-Store updates.

Next up, playable Romulan faction for $50.....sorry 4000 craptic points.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 1:51AM Stormwaltz said

"You forgot to mention the part where this new ship costs $25."

This.

I was actually excited about it. When I was in high school, my circle of friends all watched the Next Gen finale together. The dreadnought Enterprise made us all whoop. I had my wallet out until I saw the price.

$25 is simply too much. No ship costume is worth more than a couple of bucks, even if it does come with special equipment. I just bought Prototype and Star Wars: Empire at War gold -- two complete games -- on Steam for under $20.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 10:49AM Daverator said

Supposedly equal ships will be available in a few months with season 2, but that still means you a purchasing an advantage for a few months.

I know it costs money to run an MMO, but $25 costs the same as an entire video game a few months after launch. It is 100% just preying on people who A. Want the ship because of the memories it evokes, or B. Want the ship for in game advantage.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 4:38AM (Unverified) said

To all the haters…please read the damn forums and you will know that most people wanted the ship in the c store. Plus, when season 2 hit the servers, there will be equal to better ships. As far as Bridge officers goes, their traits are really minor. Some are unique but not a game changer.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 4:50AM Pan1 said

Laugh Out Loud, you think these comments are said by "haters".

Oh man, I really want to see in what world a STO player lives.

You think being skeptic and aprehensive about a 25 dollar skin is being a "hater"?

I'm sorry but I honestly really think that is sad.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 8:17AM Deadalon said

Im pretty sure ppl wanted it... that doesnt mean they wanted to pay for it... or even wanted to pay 25 USD for it.

The gaming industry is no longer about games. Its about how to get as much money as possible out of the custimors. Who even cares if ppl like what they get for their money... thats not the problem that Developers or publishers care about.

Here is a perfect example of what is going on in the industry. Mythic is taking over WAR EU from GOA. Players will have to fill in few forms on the Mythic servers to be able to play. But... They dont have to give Creditcard information again... those have ALREADY been moved from one company to antoher - and ppl will probably be charged next month EVEN tho they are not able to even log onto the MYthic EU account atm.

THis is the gaming industry ... its discusting... No wonder more and more ppl are going free to play or small games on the facebook.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 4:48AM Pan1 said

So when can we finally expect the servers to catch fire for being blasphemous?

Seems like thats the only thing that will get us a decent Trek mmo.
25 dollars for a skin.....

Protip: digital items are not finite.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 6:08AM dudes said

A sub and C-Store explotiing ideas created by a decent sci-fi show from yesteryear for any nickel and dime Cryptic can get?

I can hear Gene Roddenberry spinning in his grave (from thousands of miles away).

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 8:49AM Averice said

This is why gamers don't play Cryptic.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 9:24AM spartanthetriviumorg said

Sadly I purchased it accident today. I though it was skin job. I did not see the 2k points properly. When I clicked on it I thought I saw 200 points. Imagine my surprise!! Simply not worth it. Moreover I'm really not happy with all the C-store updates and content and most all of it is simply not available in game. It really, really irks me to have a sub and pay for a store. I think the paradigm needs to die. Sub or store but not both.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 10:21AM dudemanjac said

You can buy the game for as much as they want for that ship. It's pretty shameful that they would go for that kinda of fan raping. The only ppl playing it are ppl are are crazy fans of Trek. Why mistreat them like that.

I am also now willing to admit that I was wrong for thinking they could actually manage to do this without mistreating customers.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 5:04PM (Unverified) said

Please do not misuse the word rape in your complaint about the price of a virtual item for a piece of leisure software. Consider using a word that is not so emotionally tinged. I suggest "fan exploitation" would be a better phrase to illustrate your disappointment over this news.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 5:20PM dudemanjac said

I'll use the word how I please. I can't be bothered with the sensitivities of some who will allow such a comment to bother them to the point of actually responded to my comment knowing full well what I what talking about in an attempt to show me the light.

I'm sorry if you or someone you know has been taken against your will, but it is just a word, and we all know what I'm talking about.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 5:30PM dudemanjac said

You know what? That came out alot harsher than I meant it to. But really, why would you say something like that to a stranger? So I apologize for my tone, but at the same time, don't take such comments to heart or try to improve someone.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 12:11PM dudemanjac said

I think what I really don't like is, What about the Klingons? You have just made this awesome ship for Fed to run into pvp and own even harder than they used to.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 10:10PM (Unverified) said

Someone should create a parody where Q puts Cryptic on trial but in the end he really does find them guilty.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM