Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:07PM (Unverified) said

My thoughts about the game are pretty much along the same lines. While I have no issues with the missions or controls, I find myself perpetually annoyed at the matchmaking system (or lack thereof) which seems to make zero sense. Why is it that when I'm soloing, I'm being offered dispatches (not call for backups!) against 4 maximum threat level enforcers?

Despite how incredibly frustrated I get with imbalanced match-ups though, I still find the game fun to play. The question for me is how long will the fun shine through, and will it carry me at least into September for some FFXIV goodness >.>

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:06PM Pitt said

This review was spot on.

APB is a glorified character chreator, the rest of the game is flawed, but was fun for a while.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 7:02PM Tizmah said

It's got some issues definitely. But I can agree it is very fun to play occasionally.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:20PM mysecretid said

Thanks, Sera, for acknowledging that a game doesn't have to be "perfect" -- or even good, in an absolute, objective sense -- to be worth playing.

I'm one of those people who actually enjoys playing Star Trek Online, for example. Is it better than it was at launch? Yes. Is it perfected? Hell, no! But the way some people carry on around here, they can't understand how I could even /dare/ to enjoy it -- as if it were their business (or their money) anyway.

And so, with you and APB. It doesn't have to be good, you just have to like it.

Someone once asked me how I knew I loved my girlfriend. I replied, "Because the good things about her are better than I ever could've imagined, and the bad things about her don't actually bother me."

It wasn't that she didn't have flaws (she did); they just didn't upset me in the least. Other people were annoyed by them -- I couldn't have cared less.

Likewise, games. The flaws don't matter if they're lost and irrelevant in the shadow of all that's good and fun for you as a player.

Thanks again for saying what needed to be said.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:33PM alucard3000 said

Ok I am a bit confused with your second sentence, you are saying that MASSIVELY is offering people what basically amounts to free DLC for APB's game right?If that is what you meant then confusion is gone and way to go Massively. If that is not what you meant did APB change their pricing model?

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:37PM ultimateq said

They gave away a customized car in the game. You can customize vehicles then manufacture them to sell or give away in the game.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:41PM Seraphina Brennan said

What Q said.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:36PM ultimateq said

The game has come a long way since beta. It's easier on systems, loads faster and crashes less. What does that mean? You can run it acceptably with a minimum of 3gb of ram, it still takes over 5 minutes to get from your desktop to an action district, and it only crashes once a night instead of 5 times a night. Still pretty frustrating, rather, INFURIATING.

I'll agree with weapon balance, but as you play the game more, you start to realize that the weapon balance isn't quite as bad as it's made out to be. The 2 biggest, most used guns are the OCA and NTEC. Both are sub machine guns and spray a lot of bullets. The OCA simply needs a shorter range, and the NTEC needs a bunch of smaller nerfs or one more big nerf. Then it should be pretty fair.

The driving is fine as it is. If your latency is acceptable, driving will be just fine... Try taking a sharp 90 degree turn at 45mph in real life, not gonna happen, unless you have some awesome sports car, which this game provides, and then offers comparable performance.

Overall, I will agree with your review. I love and hate this game. It's so much fun, and so addicting, but I find it so infuriating whenever I play it.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:41PM ultimateq said

I would also like to tack on, that I expect this game to only get better. It's got a solid base, and the customization is amazing. All they really need to do is polish it. Give it 4 months to work on the kinks, then maybe a year to get the content rolling.

I hear they are promising a racing district, I don't know how true this is; it's just what I heard. I keep pitching a zombie district, but I don't think that's going to fly.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:45PM Seraphina Brennan said

EVERYONE HAS A DAMN NTEC. HOLY HELL.

Although I do enjoy spraying people down with the smg. That is oddly fun. Also getting up behind them with the tazer gun. That's fun too.

My issue with the driving isn't exactly the turning... it's what happens when you try to finesse the car. I'm cool with the wide turns (as that doesn't happen IRL, although you can easily use the handbrake in this to achieve the desired effect) but I'm just not cool with how hard it is to make little corrections.

I seem to drive in curvy lines, simply because when I tap to go left, it awkwardly drifts, and then I tap to straighten it out and I drift to the right... then tap to left... go back to left... etc. That's the part I don't like. But I'm getting use to it.

And yes, this game will get better with more districts and stuff. Right now, 2 is nice, but more will be great. Plus, since I'm paying for hours and not subscriptions, I'll probably get to see those without paying huge amounts of money.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:55PM Khorrax said

The only other district I heard of was the "pure skill" district, where upgrades wouldn't matter.

Nice article by the way. I won't be buying the game any time soon, unless they change it a lot - more diverse missions, improved matchmaking and better balanced weapons. And if they drop the monthly/hourly fees :P

As for the 32 bit OS thing, it really is annoying. However, I saw earlier today that simply switching to a 64 bit OS will dramatically improve performance (with no extra hardware upgrade).

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:51PM ultimateq said

Surprisingly, I run better on XP 32 limted to 3gb of ram, than I did on Windows 7 64-bit with a full 6gb of ram. But with some current optimizations it may run better than it did before.

The fee's don't bother me at all.

I know what your saying about the wonky steering. I don't see to suffer from it much in the Bishida, but in the Mikro (the mini that the criminals get) where it handles a lot better, it tends to over-steer on minor corrections.

My gripes with the cars is lack of torque on these expensive higher end cars, like the Bishida and Mikro. They take forever to take off, that doesn't seem right. I see trucks, and crappy hatchbacks accelerate faster. The Vaquero is my favorite vehicle though, that thing has soooooo much torque, and it's so much fun to use. But it's very lively and hard to drive.

The ntec should probably only hold about 28 rounds in the magazine. OR give it less accuracy at longer ranges. The OCA feels imbalanced as well, but I'm not sure of what it needs to fix it, so it's fine for now.

I personally use the STAR, still, and I'm really dang good with it. I'm at Threat Level 13, Peaked at 14, but it's sooo hard to maintain or get higher from these levels. /ego

Anyways, off to APB! Look me up, I'm Goei on the Zombie server. Criminal all the way ^.^

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 10:57PM (Unverified) said

Personally, I use the OCA because
1) I haven't played the game much, and
2) I can't aim for the life of me. I don't play shooters, although i did play GA Beta (YAY F2P!), so i still don't have the hang of handling moving targets with the STAR or any rifles. Currently, i use the shotgun though, as it has a TON of firepower.

I'm not sure about them being OP, although i haven't had alot of time to play it (maybe 3 hours total) but at least that was the reason i use the OCA/Shotgun. I am starting to use the OBIR?(first rifle available after STAR) on my criminal to actually improve my aim. Not alot of skill required to take someone out with the OCA lol

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 12:59AM (Unverified) said

I agree that the NTEC needs to be looked at. It's a bit too accurate even past mid-distance range. I'd have to say that the majority of people playing are using some form of NTEC due to how well rounded the weapon performs. Personally I still like an upgraded OCA more due to the high rate of fire (and it looks badass! :).

Here is some tips that I've discovered while playing:

1) In a fight, just holding down the fire will reduce the accuracy of your shots due to recoil (your crosshair will get bigger and bigger and your shots will be all over the place). It's best to do burst-fire attacks unless you are REALLY close to your target OR...

2) If you crouch while aiming you can get the recoil really low and hit pretty straight even in full auto. The downside is you aren't gonna be moving very quick in that position. If you are able to sneak up on your opponent it is pretty much a win if you can get keep your crosshair on them.

3) You gotta be sneaky and cautious. Running, shooting, talking over VOIP, and driving all make you show up on the radar. Refraining from all of that while moving around a guarded location can help you get the drop on your enemy.

4) Use cover! Never stay out in the open and battle someone if possible. If anything, get a car between you - but don't stay too close to it. Cars are terrible cover due to how movie-explosive prone they can be.

5) Use a car or have a character supply upgrade (F1 to use, it's on a several minute timer) if you are alone (also nice to have on a team to resupply if you're finding yourself winning a lot and getting low on ammo). Solo fights in this game has a bit of a rock/paper/shotgun thing going on and if you die due to having the wrong weapon (lets say OBIR vs an NTEC user in a tight place) you will be able to switch weapons and try again.

6) While solo play is viable, grouping is much more fun and a bit more balanced. I'm finding that most people are grouping in the game and running around solo will get you killed extra quick while you wait for back up.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:49PM paraLogiki said

Can you tell me what part of the game warrents a subscription fee? What makes the game different from, say Modern Warfare or Global Agenda for that matter?

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 5:57PM Seraphina Brennan said

The fact that you don't need to buy a subscription fee. ^_^ You can pay for hours (like me) and the game comes with 50 hours, so that's a lot of game play right there as long as you don't squander it.

To truly answer your question, the customization & group gameplay is enough for the fee. 100 players in a district with you, doing Grand Theft Auto type stuff. That's why I'm still playing.

You make your character however you want with all of the customization options, you assign the upgrades, you make your char however you want, you design your car, you blast your music out the windows for people to hear, and you and your friends team up to either wreak havoc or (attempt to) protect the city. The game zone is way larger than GTA or Global Agenda, and acts more like a city than a map where you matchmake. Think more like Red Dead Redemption's online mode, only with 100 people.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:02PM paraLogiki said

Thanks for the response, very concise. I still don't think I'll try this until it has a free trial/friend invite though.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:40PM Seraphina Brennan said

I don't blame you. It's certainly one of those games that you need to play before you buy.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:53PM ultimateq said

You're not playing on 3rd party owned servers with their own rule sets, buggy mods, stupid sound packs, etc. You're playing a dedicated, high quality server maintained by RealTime Worlds. It's worth $10/mo to me for that luxury.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 1:46PM (Unverified) said

It's worth pointing out that the character customisation (accessed from the "social district") is free and won't count against your hours. Your paid time only starts ticking away when you go into an "action district".)

If you're going to be making symbols/tattoos/clothing/cars/death themes a lot then this is well worth keeping in mind.

Also, I got 60 hours when I bought the game on Steam. I can't remember the last time I put 60 hours into any game, it's well worth the purchase even if you never buy any more game time.