Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:51AM (Unverified) said

This is not what I was previously lead to believe by their earlier pressers. If this turns out out to mimic wow's gameplay, then I will never touch it. I tried to play wow, I really did, but I immediately sensed the treadmill under my feet, the carrot in my face, the hand at my back pressing me to group up with strangers to go grind instances, and I resented the whole package. I hope this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and he's just trying to impress the shareholders.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 5:48PM wjowski said

...So basically you're incapable of enjoying any video game ever?

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:51AM Mugi said

And there my entire interest for this title just disappeared up in smoke. Never had that much interest, never get that after an CG trailer anyway, plus the universe never interested me that much.

But personally hearing this is just like meh, why should I care for an MMO where they seem to not want anything unique just.
"We gonna make a game so we can take some cash out of the 11m current WOW players, we wanna be rich to so we will make an exact copy".

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 8:07AM (Unverified) said

What cg trailer?! It was all gameplay!

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:53AM Dril said

The WoW demographic won't go for it, what an idiot. He needs to be looking t imitating WoW in who it brought into the game, not by stealing it off them: people who didn't play MMOs before, or people who are sick of WAR.

But, since they're going for this approach, and looking at some of the vids, it's the WoW-clone failboat for this one. Can't say I give a crap, either.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:53AM Crsh said

Depends which WoW fans we're talking about here; the old-school raiders who are disappointed by the ease of WoW as of late (and who probably don't play WoW anymore), or the army of carebears who buy star ponies to parade in cities and feel entitled to everything the second they log on?

Yes, yes.. generalizations are bad, I know.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:06PM (Unverified) said

Again with the WoW-killer nonsense. People who talk about wow killers don't understand the demographic of Blizzard's behemoth.

Most people who play WoW are not what you might call "gamers". They don't like variety, in most cases WoW is the only game they play or ever played for that matter. They aren't people you can potentially steal from WoW because they are not looking for anything else, not even a WoW clone. Blizzard is smart and adapted their game to the mentality of their players.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:26PM (Unverified) said

This just in! AMAZING FEATS OF AMAZINGNESS!

(Reuters)
*THQ core games VP Danny Bilson actually swallows his own foot while alienating every potential player for his new game that wont come out for three years from now, when asked how his foot tasted he replied "muhegurghghu wow gurhglemuh!"

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 1:01PM Pewpdaddy said

Holy Crap!!!! That is greatest comment ever!!!! I'm still laughing, I'm sure my users think I've cracked.

(3 minutes later)
Ya, I wasn't looking forward to this one per se' but this type of info is sure to push away the hardcore WH40k fans. I raided with a bunch in WoW a few years ago..... We have all since moved on.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 1:16PM (Unverified) said

I love all these comments :) Don't you realize that, though you are the majority on MMOsites, you are a small minority when it comes to the MMO gamer as a whole? Cry's of 'Don't copy WOW!' or 'WOW sucks and is a horrible game!' fall on mostly deaf ears.

When the exec says it is wow friendly, it doesnt neccesarily mean is WOW with a 40k skin. You can be wow friendly, and have different mechanics altogether. But YES, it will be carebear friendly, because thats the majority of MMO players today. Accept it. Your dream of some complex, overly suficticated, sandbox MMO is a pipe dream. Stay off the pipe.

And SirNiko is right... All games released since WoW, trying to imitate wow's success, are pretty wrappings in a crap-of-a-mechanic shell. They try to promote the one or two little cool features they add instead of building solidness throughout the entire system.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:09PM (Unverified) said

As one of those old hardcore raiders (naxx pre LK, hyjal etc) that still plays I can tell you I am waiting for something....ANYTHING to play that has the same ease and fun but maybe a few less sparkle ponies.
I have been painting and playing 40k for more years than I have owned a pc, I will be jumping ship the second this comes out. And ya know what, there are a horde of 30somethings that are coming with me (pun intended).

Think back about the mmo's that have come out that tried hard to be nothing like wow...and how many are successful....Eve, thats pretty much it.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:22PM Eamil said

If you define "successful" to be subscriber counts expressed in 7 digits, even EVE is far from qualifying.

As a WoW fan, I still don't like the effect it's had on the MMO market in general, especially when it comes to the expectations of subscriber numbers. An MMO doesn't NEED a million subscribers to be successful financially, but people look at Warhammer, see four servers and assume it's dead in the water.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 6:54PM (Unverified) said

"An MMO doesn't NEED a million subscribers to be successful financially"

Huh? That all depends on the budget that was spent on it. If it cost enough to make, then yes, it does NEED a million subscribers to be successful financially. It has been announced, for example, that SW:TOR is costing so much to develop that they need a million subscribers. Maybe WH40K does too.

WAR probably didn't need a million, but it certainly needed more than its got. That game certainly lost money.

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 5:38PM Eamil said

If Warhammer was losing money from the beginning, and STILL losing money, it would have been shut down by now.

Thank you for providing such a perfect demonstration of what I'm talking about, by the way.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:26PM Psychotic Storm said

Big Unthoughtful Words.

never give numbers especially big ones and for a game that will come out in 3 years time, its unprofessional and will come to haunt you back. lets say they end up with a game that will need 200k subs to be survivable and 300k to be successful and they get 500k or even 700k subs, this announcement will come to haunt them with doom and gloom proclaimers for the ages to come.

Secondly what the hell does this announcement means? the interface is as good as WoW? the gameplay is as as good? there is resemblance in design philosophy? the game closes WoW? there is no resemblance, but players playing the first will have no problem adapting to the second because of XYZ reason? you have in-depth knowledge that all 40k fanatics play WoW and are absolutely ready to jump ship as soon as this is made and so on?

they could go with just announcing they are quite confident about the game and given the other 40k franchise games sales were expecting the game to have a good subscription pool.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:40PM Unverfied B said

/facepalm

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:44PM Vegetta said

Make the game good - THAT will bring players. If people want to play wow then they will play wow. I would think that after the last few MMO releases that companies would start to realize this.

He doesn't actually come out and say we are going to PWN WOW but instead says we will get a few of their players (they will but for how long? who knows?)

Looks like more will be revealed within the next 6 months so I will wait a bit for more information to be released before screaming the sky is falling...

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 12:48PM (Unverified) said

How to make a successful Warhammer 40K MMO:

1. Take Dawn of War & Dawn of War II squad game play and convert into a fully 3D environment, but with a zoom out to DoW style overview when needed.

2. Make each race a separate faction, don't lump them into just a 'good' and 'evil' two faction fail fest like WAR did.

3. Players control 1 to several squads which they can enhance with new armor, weapons, and skills, upgrading individual soldiers. You can control / have more squads as you level up. Death is permanent if entire squad wiped out, although let your other squads salvage some equipment during battle.

4. Make one huge universe with each planet as a server, but players can travel between planets/servers as battles rage across the heavens. No instances if possible. Factions fight over control of planets.

5. Make Tyranids a playable race. Not a big deal to me really, but a lot of players want that. Me, I'd be spreading the corruption of Chaos and fighting the forces of the false Emperor.

At least that is how I would do it. :)

How to make an unsuccessful Warhammer 40K MMO:

1. Clone World of Warcraft (see Warhammer Online)

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 1:04PM (Unverified) said

@Wade

I like your ideas. I hate all the instancing of newer MMOs.

WAR is no where near a WoW clone. That statement alone tells me you have never done anything more than look "Alpha" screenshots and have never actually played the game.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 1:10PM OmegaDestroyer said

The Order vs. Destruction thing is going to kill it for me.

Global Chat: Gamers Secret Santa