Posted: Jul 1st 2010 8:11AM (Unverified) said

we had a guy in our fellowship that was very ADHD, couldn't stand still for 2 seconds. if we happened to be waiting for someone before entering a cave or tomb, he would single-handedly eradicate all the local fauna, which quickly earned him the title, "Squirrel-bane."

as for me, i usually avoided killing the creatures i found around Middle Earth, but the first time i stumbled upon a deer in Oblivion i couldn't help but chase it down. it actually offered a challenge in catching it, instead of just standing there waiting for my blade with its 1 hp and a vacuous look on its face.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 8:15AM (Unverified) said

Always felt bad in Asheron's Call whenever I killed a bunny. That little life ending 'SQUEEK!' still haunts me to this day.

Poor wittle bunnie.

*sniff*

Oh and the strippers in Duke Nukem. I let them live too.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 8:27AM Drannos said

I've found that the longer I play LotRO, the less I kill for no reason. If it's not required by a quest or deed, it lives a little longer when I pass it by.

The ceaseless killing actually gets tiring, especially if it's for no reason. Even when there's a war on...I mean really. This is one of the reasons I enjoyed both Lothlorien, and soon after Mirkwood. Lothlorien was a nice break from the endless killing of Moria, and had some really nice non-combat quests that just exposed us to some little pieces of lore. Plus, you could actually *lose* reputation if you killed protected animals. That's very fitting, for Lothlorien.

Mirkwood was diving right back into killing, but at least it has a purpose. It's an invasion - get with the slaughter!

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

All the years I played SWG, never did a Jawa die by my hand. Ewoks I slaughtered by the thousands.

*hiss of an igniting lightsaber*

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 9:02AM HitsuSan said

I was a freaking good healer in WOW years ago and usually never killed a faction enemy just to annoy. There was even some people who remembered that and started waving me when we met. Of course if i have a good reason i slaught everything i can :)

I think random mobs who start attacking you instead of running away fast as the light are becoming very obsolete in these days.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 9:56AM Azlew said

Watched a freep struggling to kill some stuff out in BBM on EQ2 a few weeks ago. Stuck by his side for about 15 minutes helping him kill some particularly difficult mobs especially for the level and class they were playing... :)

I could have ripped them to shreds but I really wasn't feeling that way inclined.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 10:11AM Djinn said

I don't understand how rpgs have become all about killing. When I played PnP rpgs and text-based adventure games there were times you were FORCED to kill something but most of the time it was about figuring things out, finding something, doing a puzzle, talking to people, etc. Modern games are all about the killing. Its like game developers have bowed to the least common denominator: its easiest to dole out xp by how many things someone has killed. I sincerely wish that there was an MMO where combat stats weren't the main goal because killing wasn't the main focus.

Unfortunately no such game exists so I play the games that do, but avoid killing things for no reason. I don't generally "grind". I kill things for quests because someone else has asked me to and given me a "good reason" to kill (sometimes its a stretch). Occasionally I'll grind a bit for deeds or because I'm close to levelling and out of quests.

I don't understand people who get a kick out of killing things for "no reason" like the hapless animals in WoW or LotRO that give no xp and don't aggro. Frankly it seems a little strange to me that they do. But to each their own.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:18AM Stormwaltz said

"I don't understand how rpgs have become all about killing."

Two reasons, both having to do with the origins of computer RPGs.

One, D&D evolved out of a miniatures wargame. Combat was at the heart of the seminal RPG. It was only later designs that evolved away from this focus.

Two, RPGs (particularly those of the online variety) have to provide hundreds of hours of repeatable, engaging activity that doesn't require a great deal of developer effort to produce. A good puzzle can take a man-month to produce, and a player can complete it in an hour or less. A challenging monster to fight might also take a man-month to produce, but you can encounter it over and over, providing many hours of engagement.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 6:11PM Djinn said

Stormwaltz makes a very good point that I hadn't thought of. Its still a shame though. I hope that someday soon someone will develop an ai-based engine to create game quests to alleviate some of the man-hours and make games more creative and deep.

And I fully agree with Tempus Magus that sometimes creatures won't leave you alone and yes, some creatures simply must be killed. But I see that as a roleplay opportunity :)

As for "saving the town", I remember when slaying the dragon required trying to find an obscure place where the magic weapon was buried, then trying to find certain people who had valuable information, then having to perform certain tasks in order to be able to wield the magic weapon, etc. etc. before you actually went and killed the dragon.

Today unless you're on an epic quest line (which are few and far between) 19 out of 20 quests are "go kill these". You can go a long time before you come across a quest that doesn't involve killing things. But look at Lord of the Rings (one of the best adventures in my POV): for more than half of the first book nothing gets killed but its plenty exciting :)

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 10:25AM Dumac said

I prefer not to, whether it's a player or a mob i accidentally aggroed while traveling, i prefer to just get on with what i was there to do in the first place.

There was a period after ive leveled up in WoW on a pvp server, after i was ganked by lvl ?? players so many times, when i killed every lowbie i came across in revenge. I loved chasing them, to come across one, make sure they see me, start casting fireball, by which time whey realize it's time to run, i cancel the cast, chase them, and bluff casting again while they're doing /no emotes ...

Eventually i realized that's just boring and transferred to a pve server where i had more fun and less interruptions.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 10:49AM (Unverified) said

I often play on pvp servers. I don't play on these serves to run around and slaughter the opposing faction just because I can. I choose pvp servers so that if somebody has done something to earn my ire I can show them how I feel :) But most of the time I will keep an eye on any nearby enemies and only destroy them if they act first.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:02AM Orvidos said

I love open world PvP. Adore it. It's why I still play WoW on occasion. It's why I continue to retry WAR every couple months. (And I suspect this month may be it!) However, in things where you can kill people outside of your level range (I.E. Grays in WoW) I have a very simple set of rules.

- If it's X(X) levels below me, don't kill it. (Usually 10 in WoW)

- If however, I'm feeling bastardy (I've had a poor day, or I'm just generally in a bad mood), I'll wave or bow at the lowbie in question. If they don't return it (or, even worse for them, do something rude), they get HASSAN, CHOPPED.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:21AM Stormwaltz said

It's not killing per se, but I've rejected quests based on what they ask me to do. There's a greasy beggar in Age of Conan Tortage who asked me twice to kick over other beggars to make his life easier. I refused him both times.

I may be an assassin, but I've got standards.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:38AM (Unverified) said

The closest I've seen is when you get a quest to collect 10 whatsits in a zone with lots of trash mobs. While you are rewarded for killing them, the big prize is for getting the whatsits, so the faster you do that the higher your reward/time ratio will be. While one player may hack through everything to get what he wants, the smart player picks the path of least resistance, avoids mobs where he can and gets the goods and escapes with as little combat as he can to get the big payoff sooner.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 1:50PM (Unverified) said

I have a really hard time killing the polar bears with the widdle polar bear cubs in Northrend, in WOW. They are a veritable goldmine for skinners (like me), but I see the innocence in the cub's cute little eyeballs, the polar bear mom teaching the youngin' how to hunt, and it makes me feel bad about killin' em...but 9 times outta 10 I do it anyway.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 3:27PM Evy said

Fuzzy cute things. I can't kill cats, bunnies, etc. I'm just a softy at heart.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 7:18PM Pigeonko said

I don't like killing fae drakes in EQ2. They're so pretty.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2010 6:33AM CaseyTheBrash said

I've never killed a giraffe in the Barrens.