Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 2:37AM DraneceusRex said

Even though I'm not a big fan of Cryptic, especially at this moment (this is actually my biggest annoyance over all their other fiascoes), I'm a huge fan of STO.

When I plopped down my $ for my lifetime, I saw what had happened with CO, I saw Cryptic's track record clear as day. It comes down to the fact that I love the game, and I am getting my money's worth for it.

Again, I ultimately blame Blizzard for introducing this exorbitant precedent for MMOs, along with the idiots who fed them millions. Oh how I laughed when I saw Everquest 1's new Sparkle Horsey....

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 10:47AM (Unverified) said

How is it, exactly, that Blizzard is to blame for the failures of Cryptic and every other WoW clone?

Are you talking about their Sub fee plus RMT store? It's not a fucking store, unless by store you're only selling one thing. I wouldn't call the corner where crack dealers hang out a store. With MMO addiction levels what they are, I consider that a good analog. One that Cryptic wanted to exploit before committing resources to their game.

Do you mean with game design? Is the wild popularity of WoW somehow a secret corporate brainwashing program, or do you think people just wanted a game they didn't have to spend 20 hours a day on?

I'm not defending either model, but every MMO developer that made a WoW clone fucked up of their own accord. What Blizzard did with WoW was revolutionary. For the time, there was no better game and that's why it caught on. Not because it was easy, or everyone else was doing it, but because it was fun and different. None of these companies did anywhere near the development Blizzard did, to their detriment and to that of their games.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 11:14PM DraneceusRex said

Thanks for the backup Tempes. You largely summarized my position. I lay the the blame for a $25 virtual item being a feasible business model for MMOs right on Blizzard's doorstep. All the rest of STOs problems, which I am not blind to, I leave to Cryptic and Atari.

Oh and you made me LOL at calling STO a WoW clone. Whatever else you might say about STO, for better or for worst, it's nothing like WoW.

But ultimately I meant to reply to my earlier comment, and the suggestion to play "Hello Kitty" and hit the wrong button, so I'm sure that might have contributed to your confusion Kdolo. Loved the F-bombs though...lol

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 1:04PM Hurbster said

Yes, lets all blame World of Warcraft, it's obviously all their fault...

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 11:33AM (Unverified) said

One guy leaving a company is not the end of the world. When several employee are let go or asked to leave it is restructuring. When all of the companies customers leave, then the company is dead.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 12:09PM mysecretid said

Somebody forgot to post "Gauge's Time Saver" on this thread, so I will. If I'd gotten here earlier, I could've saved some people some typing time:

// Gauge's Time Saver //

Let me get this out of the way for the usual commenters:

"Isn't this game dead yet?"

"The final nail in the coffin"

"OMG the sky is falling"

"This game is pure fail"

"I hate every MMO but the one I play"

"I have never played this game/I haven't played since launch but this game must suck because other people on the internetz say it does."

"This is the the beginning of the move to free-to-play"

and so on and so forth..........

// end //

Posted: Jul 2nd 2010 9:56PM Devilstower said

After toughing it out since beta, I finally quote STO. I couldn't take any more of the pretense that they were listening to user complaints, when every issue they addressed nowhere near the issues that users were really concerned about.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 12:25PM (Unverified) said

Wonder what over priced commemorative item they will offer in their cash shop...

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 5:03PM (Unverified) said

This game failed at launch and is still sinking at a rapid pace. I took my time leveling in it and explored around and in one month post launch I was left with nothing to do at max level except the same two hours worth of repeatable content day in and day out.

All the instancing has disrupted a sense of community as I watched a friends list of over 100+ drop to four or five online.

This game was simply not ready for launch, it was not complete and lacked several key systems including and immersive and expansive end-game. It severely lacks dynamic content and most times feels like you are playing in a box on a console game with just others hanging around.

It does not surprise me he is leaving (or was asked to leave) as this ship has crashed already. What almost six months from beta and there have only really been a few things added to the game content-wise? It was not set up for an end-game, many systems that players were promised would be in are still not in, it lacks a community err MMO gamestyle. I don't think the new guy sis going to be able to pull this out of the nose-dive unless they take that "army" of devs and start fleshing out more content.

Posted: Jul 6th 2010 6:26PM (Unverified) said

People from STO talk about Blizzards “sparkling Pony”. But what they seem to forget is that Blizzard didn’t have that “sparkling Pony” 4+ years after its initial release! And it’s just ONE $25 item that is just cosmetic! With Gozer, Craig, and others leaving, do you really think STO is doing well? Wake up people!

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story