Posted: Jun 29th 2010 12:26PM madbassman39 said

I want more people to read your comment. Honestly who cares about all that stuff as long as you the player find it worth it. If not, then play something else that is worth your time an money. There would be a lot less hate in the world if people just took this philosophy and applied it to everything (ie politics, religion, et. al.)

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 10:58AM Pan1 said

No, the question is why have advertisments at all in a game that is payed for by subscriptions.

There is money being generated by those ads does any of that trickly back to the customer? I haven't seen much evidence of that ever being the case with anything.

But all the best to RTW in the end its the consumer who will decide if its a good game or not.

Me personally I decided to opt out of APB, it sounds more fun then it actually plays. But thats just me.

Posted: Jul 1st 2010 11:52AM Sabbatai said

Yes, it does "trickle" back to the customer in the form of $5 less per month than the average MMO cost.

I am surprised no one else sees this.

Why does it bother you if there is an ad on a loading screen? Other than the fact that it is an ad, and you can see it. Why is it so bad? What is the harm?

If it makes the game cheaper and provides the company with revenue that they can use to improve the game... hell yeah I am all for it.

If WoW released a statement that they were going to lower the monthly cost by $5 but put ads on the few loading screens you'll see in that game... but also leave the option to continue paying $14.99 per month and not see the ads...

Despite all the bluster I think you'd not see many people sticking with the $14.99 plan.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 11:36AM Unverfied B said

EU launch will only be in 2 days, but right now I (as someone who played MMORPG games since '97, and didn't touch a shooter in a decade) am having a metric crapton of fun playing it in the headstart/

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 1:17PM misterorff said

A metric crapton? How much is that in Imperial?

Posted: Jun 30th 2010 6:03AM Unverfied B said

OVER 9000!!!!!111

Posted: Jun 30th 2010 8:07AM (Unverified) said

1 metric crapton = 0.984206528 imperial craptons. According to Google.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 12:01PM Riskichi said

Development for three years? I was at E3 2005 when they showed off teaser videos for APB and Huxley on a gigantic Webzen TV.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 12:22PM ultimateq said

This was a shockingly smooth launch. There was one minor hiccup with people not getting their retail keys right on the stroke of midnight, but there was no server restart or downtime between the early access and the launch.

We got our new keys, applied them, got our 50 hours, played. Very smooth. Good job RTW.

Now let's talk about a zombie district ....

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 12:25PM (Unverified) said

The point people are making with the whole "not an MMO" thing is that interaction with other players is very limited. Yes there are 80ish people in a district, but unless you're a 5 star prestige/wanted level, the only people you can interact with are those paired against you on a mission. and 5 star prestige/wanted levels don't last long, so you're limited to combat against 2 or 3 people at a time. Unless you're paired against them in a mission, the most you can do is try to troll them by ramming their car and trapping them.

I'm really disappointed by the inclusion of a monthly fee with this game, especially after they originally announced that there wouldn't be one, only to turn back on that and say "Lol jk you can pay by the month or by the hour". It would be a fun and worthwhile game if there wasn't a monthly fee involved, but in no way does this game have the depth to merit a monthly fee. Hopefully RTW realizes this in a few months and goes the way of Global Agenda (although Hi-Rez seems like a much more honest studio in how they deal with the players).

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 1:29PM karnisov said

GA is indie and runs the game without a sub. so it can be done by an indie studio. and they haven't stooped to saturating their game with ads.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 4:09PM (Unverified) said

I don't get it. People (in this case, RTW) are trying to push the MMO genre forward and you clowns sit here debating on whether it's WoW enough for you.

Is it truly an MMORPG. Is it not? Who cares! It is what it is. Enjoy it. Or don't.

If all the stick-up-the-ass purists think its not MMOy enough or whatever, then I would happily love to see them go back to wherever they came from. Hardcore crowds always, ALWAYS ruin things. I say, good riddance. Some of us want to have fun. Some of us loathe the traditional, dying MMO format.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 4:47PM (Unverified) said

I have been having a blast with APB! What other game lets you compose your own music to play to your victim after you frag them!

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 6:00PM Vlo said

Played the game during the Key to the City and I liked it. For me it was fun, but I have to admit that it isn't worth the subscription and buying game time. It fits more into selling the retail box and selling future content/expansions.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 11:06PM (Unverified) said

This game is very simple. What it does right it does VERY RIGHT. I enjoy loading it up and progressing my character through engaging missions against opponents varying in difficulty with my friends. It doesn't get much more complex than that and I am loving it.

Posted: Jun 30th 2010 8:04AM (Unverified) said

1 metric crapton = 0.984206528 imperial craptons. According to Google.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM