Posted: Jun 28th 2010 11:40AM toothball said

@ jealouspirate

No, the core of the game is game play mechanics. I have no issue with the standard mmo game play what-so-ever, but my point is that people just assume that the game play mechanics are fun already. Did you play WAR? It tried to copy WoW but was nowhere near as fluid, interesting or fun. Getting the mechanics down are not just a "given," and are typically the biggest reason why new mmo's don't do well.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:49PM toothball said

I'm new to commenting here, so is saying something besides "SWTOR is going to be the most perfect game ever crafted" not allowed?

Because the above comment is about the most reasonable thing i've ever posted on the internet.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:57PM Renko said

• 1 heart
@ Tootball, a certain person is gaming the vote up/down buttons today, it's not usually this bad/blatant.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 1:31PM AllenJB said

So the conversation choices shown won't match up to the resulting conversation then?

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:01PM Dumac said

I'm thinking that TOR is going to ruin MMOs for a lot of people, once it's out and people try it out, regardless of the actual gameplay, the voice acting is something they're going to like if it is anywhere near the quality of Mass Effect or Dragon Age, and they are going to miss it in other MMOs that come after TOR. What other studio can afford such a feature? Well, except that ONE studio that begins with a B... For better or worse, TOR is going to push itself to the top through sheer brute force IE $$$.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:04PM toothball said

• 1 heart
I remember people saying the same exact thing about EA Mythic a few years back...

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:09PM Dumac said

@Toothball It wasn't me ;)

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:22PM Snichy said

There seems to be a lot of faith in Bioware to make a good game, which to me seems strange. I really hope the game turns out to be good but I am not judging it until I have actually played it. People should not be quick to judge a game positively (or negatively, just look at the comments in any Cryptic games articles) until there is something to base it on - just because someone made something good once, doesnt mean they always will (I'm looking at you George Lucas).

Im keeping perspective and my mind open - hoping, anticipating but not relying...! :)

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:49PM Super Nerd said

People seem to underestimate the fully voice acted part of TOR, it's not just the voice. If you followed the game, and watched many of the videos, you'd realize how much Bioware is focusing on story. They're calling it the fourth pillar of their MMO.

This is going to be an MMO (I.E: WoW) and a Bioware RPG (I.E: Mass Effect) mixes. The story is an enormous part of TOR, so I'd advise some of you naysayers to watch some of the interviews with the developers.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:53PM toothball said

@ Aenorn

I don't consider myself a naysayer in the true sense, just cautious. I am really excited for a game to add new layer with a deep story, my main concern however is that they focus on this "4th pillar" as though the first 3 pillars are already golden. I just hope, really hope, that they do indeed have a solid game system.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:51PM Sean D said

I'm not sure what to expect from this game. I haven't played it. It appears to play in a similar manner to WoW - similar looking UI, for example - but how else would you suggest the UI be structured? I can also see the resemblance in the graphics, but they still look alright to me. I'm excited about the VO, but I can't really tell you if VO alone would make a game for me. If the Baldur's Gate, NWN, and ME series can be used as examples, Bioware has proven that they can do VO right - that it will at the very least impact the game-play in a positive manner. I'm stoked to be able to play through the game in single-player mode. Although I enjoy grouping and playing through content with people I know, I find that there are many more MMO players with whom I do not share a common sense of simple values such as "respect thy neighbor."

My point here is that all of the banter is little more than supposition at this point. We do have some tidbits of information that we can extract from the media that Bioware has already made available, but this is like picking fruit from a tree, judging it to be rotten, and then judging the whole tree to be rotten as a result. It's irrational.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 1:03PM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
I hope this will be a WoW clone with better graphics full voice acting and so on! With a scifi theme and brand new classes and so on. For me at the moment WoW is the only game that handle loading screens pretty well and allow you to really get in there game world without hit you with a loading screen every time you enter a building and so on!

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 1:16PM Tom in VA said

Personally, I would prefer NOT to have the player character voiced. Heck, if you want that, why not just read your "part" aloud?

The problem with actor-voiced material is that it's expensive to add, gives you very little return for your investment, and you may just find -- as I have found in similar games -- that I do not like the voice assigned to my character/class combination.

@Jack

Saying this game is a WoW clone is high praise, imo. WoW has polish, good mechanics, and great accessibility and accommodation to a variety of playstyles. If SWTOR comes anywhere close to that, but with a sci-fi setting, the addition of "pets" (companions) that actually have some personality, and Bioware's trademark story-telling expertise to boot, I'm all for it.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 3:40PM Lateris said

For me as I see it, this game is exactly like mass effect, kotor, and dragon age, but on a massive multiplayer level with very large maps. Is that so bad? For me it is not. I don't really think this will be a bad game at all. I think BioWare is making a great RPG game. And I am in 100%. But the hype has worn off because I am ready to play it. I could care less about World of Warcraft. I dont expect anything except a very good BioWare game.

I like the combat, the story, the rpg settings, the UI, the player owned ship, the species, the holograms. I am glad they were influenced by a great game in house like Mass Effect.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 8:09PM Myria said

Note to self: Buy stock in keyboard companies prior to SW:ToR release. People are going to be wearing out a lot of keyboards hitting 'escape' to get past the annoying voice overs.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 9:55PM Sic said

So whats stopping this from being both a shitty MMO and a dumbed down single player game. It sounds like its going to be very similar to WoW in game play and the single-player aspects will probably be inferior to epics like Mass Effect and KOTOR.

At this point, I feel I would have preferred SWTOR to simply be the next big single-player epic from Bioware.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 12:22AM Lateris said

I am the worst--estttt writer ever! :)

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 1:53PM (Unverified) said

I wont be touching this game with a 10 foot pole.

1. I dont play with sounds on in wow for a reason. The voice thing would do nothing but annoy me.

2. No ewoks

3. I dont want to have to upgrade my machine to play a new game, nor would I want to have to upgrade my wifes computer either.

Choose My Adventure: Firefall as it stands