Posted: Jun 28th 2010 5:21PM Arkanaloth said

Tried to love EVE 3 times...

I love the graphics... I love the screenshots... I love the lore.

I just hate the game, so I'll be content to see the screenshots and read the lore and let other people play the game, it's not my thing... but kudos to people that love it (and take screenshots). ^_~

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 11:28AM (Unverified) said

One thing we can universally agree on is that CCP is not doing enough with EVE's tutorial system to retain new pilots. Since recently there are an excessive amount of Eve ads on the Interweb I would assume CCP is trying to get new players.. but it is also a curiosity that they need to improve the tutorial system to actually retain those new players--and CCP isn't doing it as far as I know.

Eve may be a pvp game, but its pvp element is under that larger shell of the idea of sandbox. Traditionally the pvp aspects of online games aren't really taught by the game system but by other players in context of both in-game and meta-game. Eve shouldn't be different--there are countless helpful hints on how to start pvp-ing for new players; one just need to be motivated to look for them.

But, to be true to the game's sandbox nature, I wouldn't say it is fun to hand out winning formulas to new players, saying "do this and don't do this and you will be fine". Sandbox is about experimenting. But new players do not have the resource to experiment in pvp fits because of the harsh reality of losing their ship--however (relatively) inexpensive the ship may be.

Therefore, the most newbie friendly pvp introduction system is, in fact, the arena. Yes, I know the arena has traditionally been a drama generator and epeen showcase; but the important thing about arena is the ability for people to pvp without consequences. To me, the absence of a such arena system in Eve is completely illogical because since EVE itself is a large simulation experience, why not introduce sublevel simulations to make people better at what they want to do?

I am imagining an arena system with minimal expense to enter and without any ranking for the sole purpose of preparing one for the "real" combat. Players could join random fleets of their ship class and test out how their fit works--all without the risk of losing their assets, and of course, without any benefit other than the knowledge they gain about their fits from the fight.

But then again, I don't claim to be more insightful than others who have much longer history in playing this game. So I must ask the inevitable question... why is there not such an inconsequential pvp form implemented in EVE?

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 12:11PM Marwynn said

Would it be too far-fetched to have "simulated" PvP battles? Other games let you duel other players after all.

Perhaps it can be part of the initial tutorials, for relatively new accounts or characters.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 3:50AM (Unverified) said

Comments about the learning, intro and tutorial have been around for a long time, and they are not without merit. I think part of the fact this is occurring is due to two things.

Firstly how? Eve is a vast and deep game and i don't envy the people ho have to decide what should be provided and what should be learned "the hard way". I cant imagine CCP being able to what it takes corps that specialise in teaching and training months to do.

Second comes the - perhaps false - choice between the eve learning cliff and the so-easy-to-play it gains the worst bits of WoW- the game many eve players love to rag on, and not entirely for no reason. This choice being made harder because a large part of the eve community -including CCP- view the learning cliff as a source of pride, identity, and one of the fundamental things that separate the game and its community from the pack.

Thats - in my estimation - about the beginning of what CCP have to deal with.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 7:04AM (Unverified) said

"At the end of the day, at eve's historic rate of growth, change will need to be slow steady and gradual. CCP is all for new players, but not at the cost of the hordes of devoted who put food on CCP's plate and as a whole are responsible for - and have put far more into - a larger portion of how the game is than any other mmo i know of."

Thats not what you hear from the players. Every expansion has been all about adding new things like Apocrypha added wormholes and T3, while Tyrannis added PI. These were designed to bring new players in, Just as Incarna is, there has been no commitment from CCP to stop, slow down and fix the many parts of the game that need polished but have been neglected, for years in some cases.

CCP need to do the opposite of what you're suggesting and move from trying to draw new players into an incomplete and unpolished game to focus on keeping the one's they've got.

Posted: Jun 29th 2010 8:02AM Brendan Drain said

Mandrill, CCP have stated that they alternate expansions between adding new stuff and expanding/overhauling old mechanics. Apocrypha added new stuff and Tyrannis added new stuff but in between was Dominion, which overhauled the archaic soverignty system. Incarna will be adding new stuff, but it's highly unlikely to be the next expansion. You might have a better source of information than me, but I believe the next expansion will be an overhaul of an old game system. Thanks to the CSM pushing fixes over features, we might see a lot of fixes and polishing coming in the next expansion, which is what I'm hoping for!