Posted: Jun 26th 2010 1:40PM redsolar said

I visited Second Life around April 2005. These were good days when builders roamed the open sandboxes and showed off their creative and developmental work. On occasions you would run into well-known content creators and even the ones that just started out but have become reputable in the long run.

During these days, I myself learned how to build primitively and script with the Linden Scripting Language (LSL) via there initial wiki pages. I cam across many people exploring the same possibilities and even had the opportunity to help those wanting to learn.

Around 2006-2007, I think it was, the "gray goo" syndrome plagued Second Life. It almost seemed like a fun feature rather than an issue as people made light of the situation and had a good laugh. It might have been around the same time or afterward that the inventory issues became rampant and annoying.

As time has moved along, Second Life has been through its mess of issues and introducing new ones. I think it was around 2008 when the issues really shined. Issues that were either inevitable due too growth (having gone international also an added factor), server patches, server hardware changes, or new feature introduced into a fragile and massive online database and network infrastructure. These were my own personal experiences having come into SL a little later than its early years.

I have had the opportunity to meet Philip Linden a few times. Once to hand him a copy of my avatar to try out and another in the Ahern Welcome Area where he took the time to play God and introduce the primitive building system to new players. He even poked some fun using the physics system. Philip is a pretty cool guy. I haven't had the opportunity to meet Mark, though.

Presently, with Viewer 2 around, there seems to be a heated gathering of people who just hate the new viewer. I personally was hoping to see the mesh support and new lighting system introduced with Viewer 2 having seen it demoed on SL community meet-up videos. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. But in time it will.

I'm not certain where Linden Lab is headed but hopefully they do something to really shine some refreshing light back into SL. Best of luck, Philip.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 2:30PM (Unverified) said

i wonder if we'll ever see the source for Linden World

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 9:07PM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure the source would be useful given how much the platform has changed. Some of the features were removed for a reason (weather, dynamic water etc.).

You can see how Linden World looked on the Virtual History archive: http://virtualhistory.blip.tv/file/1795328/

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 9:17PM (Unverified) said

i was thinking more about it being avaiable for historical purposes, SL is/was quite a significant event in the history of virtual worlds

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 12:11AM cray said

I can't get SL to run on 64bit Windows 7, I have a brand new gaming laptop. Anyone having the same problem?

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 5:17AM (Unverified) said

I'm running SL just fine on 64bit Windows 7. What version of the viewer are you running?

Did you know a new version came out 4 days ago? If not, you should get that version (2.1 beta). The link for it is right here:

_________________
Little Lost Linden

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 7:44AM (Unverified) said

Prior to making yearly predictions I did a similar history. January 25, 2010
titled "Predictions, Dreamers and Critics". http://jeanricardbroek-architect.blogspot.com/2010/01/predictions-dreamers-and-critics.html

After I was done the only prediction I made for SL in 2010 were two keywords would mark the year "Coming Soon".

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 9:42AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I wonder if this series will delve into the seedier elements of Second Life or if they will be ignored like in a lot of mainstream articles. It cannot be denied that the sex trade is what has kept Second Life afloat all these years. Second Life is basically a glorified sex chat room that allows user to create fetish specific avatars. Avatars that look like zombie five year-olds in lingerie with a massive multicolored horse penis. But no, Second Life loyalists will deny anything like that exists and that the game is some sort of artist utopia.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 2:24AM (Unverified) said

This is a good series so far. It will be interesting to see where it leads. Besides the trade you mentioned MH, another thing that continues to keep it alive is the music and club scene. It's better than most regular internet stations because you have more interaction that you don't get with a normal net station. You won't find better music in any other MMORPG either.

For 2010, Second Life is finally adding 3D mesh imports with COLLADA™ support.

If anyone hasn't seen the new Second Life COLLADA™ demo videos, you can catch them right here:

_________________
Little Lost Linden

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 7:28PM (Unverified) said

Thanks to XML-RPC introduced in June 2004 with SL 1.4, this was also the year of GOM (the first L$/USD currency exchange) and SL Exchange (later bought by LL and rebranded Xstreet SL).

Thanks to user-generated animations, also included in SL 1.4, animation overriders were invented in September 2004. Francis Chung launched her own free and open source Franimation Overrider, which still powers the vast majority of all AOs out there (albeit most are derivative works).