Posted: Jun 26th 2010 3:46PM Bhima said

Nice write up Beau. It is interesting to look back at "the grind" in MMOs and remember that there was a time when it was actually fun when you were figuring out the game with other people. I've had many experiences like this with both RL and online friends and they really were a lot of fun. I think too much is being put on the philosophy of get to the end game, and with that, the game previous to end game suffers needlessly with mind numbing amounts of kobold, bears, murlocs and even rat corpses. What it takes for a game to feel less grindy, is a polish and lore that keeps you in the game. Of course, neither of those aspects compare to having others with you, exploring and experiencing the game together. When you have a game with all 3 of those aspects, you'll finally find a game you can call home for a little while.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 3:58PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I'm assuming you haven't played FFXI in the last two years. Or you have ADD and can't stick to a game for more than a few days. FFXI 2005 was a difficult game to start as a newbie. FFXI 2010 you can achieve lv 20 in a few days at a very casual pace. And the low level zones aren't barren either, and at least on my server high levels grp and power level with level 10+ on a regular basis.

As a reporter for the MMO genre you should do your homework a little bit before trashing on a game.

Maybe this F2P mmo is more like lineage 2. Now thats a grindfest and all by your lonesome too.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:43PM (Unverified) said

Is it really necessary to insult the editor? You are welcome to have your differing opinions, but there's no reason to knock 10 years off your age in order to relate them.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:59PM Beau Hindman said

Dross: I said very specifically what I experienced in FFXI, which was constant grind, groupmates that would literally make fun of you if you did not know everything or did not have the right job combos while waiting for hours for the perfect line-up instead of just going for it, and not reaching over level 20.

I played the *most* about two years ago, but recently went back to the game somewhere around the end of last year and played for a bit. I hooked up with a higher level friend and they showed me that the main difference in the newbie zones were books that could hand out missions. I tried them for a while and still found the pace amazingly slow. Also, what server populations can differ, something you might consider. On the server I was on, the game was incredibly barren. I never claim that it is on all servers, but then again it is not my job nor my ability to play on every server.

That is my experience. If you have experienced something else, understand that has nothing to with mine. Also understand that hindsight, and replaying lower levels after you have already played the game for a while, adds speed to the leveling process. I did not have those advantages. But, I challenge you to tell me that the game is *not* one of the grindiest and slow out there, solo.

As far as the "Passport ID" thing, just make one up. Just write it down, just in case.

Beau

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 5:55PM alzeer said

as a ffxi player i didnt feel the editor "thrashed" the game
ffxi is grindy game that is very group dependent (which i prefer over soloing)
although SE made soloing viable in recent patches its still grindy nevertheless

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:19PM kasapina said

He did mention that his FFXI experience is very limited.

Frankly, I wonder why so many players like FFXI. I mean, when I looked at the game, it seemed like a huge grinder, and so I was surprised to find how many people are eagerly awating FFXIV. I thought that europeans and americans are alergic to grind, but guess not.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:58PM Egobrane said

It's about the storyline and putting together a lot of dedication with your friends to get through it. It's very difficult and is a well-made story, I can't explain why I loved it so much myself but here's a thread about it.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 7:47PM Monkey D Luffy said

@ egobrane, Don't forget the events!

I can't fully enjoy an event in any other MMO cause FFXI's events blow them all out of the water with the Music, Story, Games, and Items.

Could be cause FFXI was my first tho.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:29PM (Unverified) said

It's unfortunate that my work schedule has prevented me from getting to the meetups on time, but I'm indeed still playing all the games. I'll post my full thoughts tomorrow since I'm visiting a friend and don't have my notes with me. My overall sentiment is slightly more positive than Beau's, but not terribly far off.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:41PM Dblade said

FFXI is a grinder, but it's actually a lot better than people think because all the grinding is done in party. Yeah you can solo, but it's one of the few games left where partying for experience is the preferred method. That removes a lot of the grind feeling because you are interacting with people all the time. Plus, there are 20 jobs you can play that give a role to everyone.

I think a lot of the complaints about grind in recent MMOs is because the games make you do it alone. Like Beau in this game. But FFXI's interaction really helps a lot.

I should have probably tried this game to give you a FFXI vet's take on it though, but I'm not keen on F2P.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 4:45PM wardo said

I was actually interested in giving this game a try...Until I got to the account creation screen on myrosso.com and found that you need to give them your passport ID number to create an account. That just seems a bit...invasive for my taste.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 10:35PM esarphie said

I found any number would do... I gave an ID number, just so I'd remember... but without actually giving any information as to where I lived.

My problem is that once I got an account and started downloading, I noticed their server was pushing the files at betweek 5 and 8k per second. Estimated time of completion 76 hours.... I haven't decided if it's worth the pain.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 6:03PM Thrasher said

Playing it now, up to lvl 11 the game is strange in that theres something about it thats fun. but there is many problems yet.
poor animations - mobs and toons sliding not running sometimes.
You can run through a fence and a tree but come close to a rock or column and get snagged.
Poor translations and missing information sometimes.
No crafting - I dont consider upgrading gear crafting.
Very empty and i have been on at all diff hours.
And the very worst - this is a true Asian style free to play meaning the item shop is overpowering. dont want to grind for some good gear? just buy it already enhanced. that part turns me off alot. seems with alot of polish and a little re balancing this game would rock.
soooo have you tried Karos or Akia yet?

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 6:14PM fauxcivility said

Yeah the translations were dismal >>; And there was very little direction about where some NPCs were that you had to go to for early quests. "Kingdom Main Street" is not a location on the map. Also the flags for quests turn ins wouldn't even show up until you entered that small local area. D:

I second the vote for Aika... I get a weird bug with my walking but honestly I find the game fun so I play regardless :D

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 6:12PM fauxcivility said

I met up with Beau like twice and had fun :D Also did a little adventuring on my own~

The one thing that I did enjoy over many of the recent MMOs I've been playing was the Skill Point and Ability Point system which was totally yours to customize. The ability points could be allotted to get new skills (ie: Unlock "Heal" when you have "Holy" up to 8 pts). The only annoying thing was that skill points came each level and if I wanted "radiant strike" for instance (I was a healer, acolyte) I had to get 6 more skill points which meant I wouldn't be able to get a physical weapon attack unless I leveled 6 more times and sacrificed any other skills. I opted to learn Heal and an offensive casting spell which both were more reasonable at 3 skill points each.

And I've never played FFXI so I can't comment on that debacle. I will say though that before lv10 I got a quest that required 30 of a dropped item and the drop rate was maybe once out of every 4 or 5 kills. That to me was a little insane >>; I'm not that hardcore of an MMO-er.

Oh and quests could actually be obtained from random NPCs by talking with them. They have absolutely no indication whether they'll give you a quest or not, so in a way it was kind of neat to actually have to talk to people and see if they needed something. I found one of the most creative quests (ever?) by talking to a female NPC who requested 10 cracked claws so she could scratch the male NPC's face who was next to her because he "wouldn't stop talking". LOL

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 7:20PM YogiFYG said

Nice write up Beau. I didnt get a chance to download this game but I have had a FFXI craving for the last month. This may turn out to be the alternative I need. Nice character by the way... aww so cuuuute *cheek pinch*

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 3:40AM (Unverified) said

The shitty translations that you guys mention are enough for me to pass on this one. I can not STAND that in translated mmos. It simply FILLS me with HATE!!

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 9:53PM Fakeassname said

this write up was enough to get me interested, the GFX look somewhat snazzy and the gameplay looks close enough to FFXI to attract me but not so close to FFXI that it drives me away (I.E. I don't think I will have to program my own attack cycles).

I've tried FFXI twice now and never got past the "free" 30 days, all of the games positives like the class system, housing, and the game's environment are fatally burred beneath it's horrid user interface, forced grouping, and horrid grind. Not to mention the disposition of the player base: for every 1 cool / helpful / outgoing / patient player I came across there seemed to be 15 assholes who yell buy my cookies / power level me / piss off at me / join my link shell whenever I walk within 10 feet of them. (comically I had more than 1 person do all three within the same conversation ... usually starting with "piss off".)

... but why the hell are more posts this about FFXI than there are comments about the game in topic?

I'm in the middle of downloading PS's (Pandora Saga) client for the second time today. the first time I didn't like how the official sites link ran at 5kb/s so I shopped around on google till I found a fast DL on a random Aussie game site, but when I installed it the client was totally in an Asian language (might have been Japanese, but my Japanese isn't advanced enough to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese on the inter-web ... sure wasn't Korean, that stuff is highly distinctive.) and after I muddled my way through the installation prompts it got hung up in the middle of updating it's self.

right now I'm DL-ing the client from a Media Fire mirror I found after much digging around on the main site, it's not exactly going zippy but it's better than 5kb/s. we will see if it's the same client I got before and if it hangs during insulation.

on a side note: the PS forum pops up with an phishing warning due to an expired certification ... between the bad DL's, asking for my passport info (yes I made one up) as well as my gender / marital status / home address during account creation, and this phishing warning I am getting declined to try this out. I probably still will roll with it as I now have almost half of the client finished .... for the second time.

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 9:57PM Fakeassname said

uggggh, sorry about all the typos! I'm highly dyslexic and my spell checker failed me "Massively".

heh, I made a funny.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 9:21AM (Unverified) said

This game may look like FF11, but it plays nothing like FF11. If you're looking for a FF11 substitute then you'd better look elsewhere. The level gap in this game is huge, so don't expect to get any fun out of the game without grinding to the average level. I usually don't play cheap f2p games, but this one got my attention because it was advertised as "the first free Japanese MMORPG" (though it's actually very Korean in execution...). I actually played the closed beta where everybody was level 40 (because mods wanted us to test out all the features). All I did was PvP and it was fun while it lasted.

The open beta was okay until they introduced the cash shop, because it was then everybody started to avoid partying people without premium equipments and the level gap started to widen even though I was a daily player. I'm actually okay with some amount of grinding, but grinding alone is just BS.

I started spending more time looking for a party then being in one and everything went downhill from there. Sorry but I didn't sign up for an MMO so that I can solo my way to level 40 again. They killed their own game with an ill-conceived cash shop and generic korean MMO style game design.