Posted: Jun 26th 2010 12:09PM kasapina said

Not only is this lame bandwagon advertising, it's fake lame bandwagon advertising. I have nothing against the game and I didn't mean to troll, but I hate it when companies post stuff like that.

Oh, and I tried the game, played it for a while, didn't really stick with it. So one of those 12 million is me.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 12:17PM (Unverified) said

The number of REGISTERED users of a F2P game are completely meaningless. Registered users have not made the developer any money. They also do not necessarily to player population. I am sure that most of those 12 million have not played in months.

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 2:29AM (Unverified) said

and yet we'll still count WoW as having "11 million" even though we know for a fact over half of those are in China, haven't played en masse for a substantial amount of time, and the game does not use a subscription business model in that part of the world anyway...

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 5:47AM (Unverified) said

No problem when Blizzard backs up these 11.5 million players with ...

1.25 billion dollars of income for their MMo in their financial reports.

And it even fits the bills as China is at 10% total revenue (a China worker gains around 10% of a US/EU civilian).

So perhaps those 1.250 million yearly dollars come from illegal Columbian drug dealing then ...

Get over it : the money is there, so are the accounts for a stock rated company like Blizzard.

WOW brings in more money than any other single video game in history.

Thay are approaching 6 billion dollars revenue in 6 years time. Not one game came even close in 30 years...

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 12:19PM (Unverified) said

2 million registered users in 2 months? Very very hard to believe. They must be counting sony station accounts as 'Free Realms Registered Players'. Someone should do some research on this.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 12:25PM Pingles said

Regardless of any numbers games one important fact:

This is a good game.

I beta-tested and enjoyed it enough to subscribe. The target demographic eventually got to me (felt creepy after a while) but it's amazingly polished and fun.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 2:01PM redsolar said

I have to agree with you. I was a beta tester myself. There is something there for those kiddos, college students, and even adult players (eg. parents who watch their kids online play) to casually have fun with.

They've been adding a lot of item shop content lately. I haven't heard any news on whether the outer lands (eg. new area content) will ever be opened up. Been a very long time. Was there any info from E3 about new area content?

SOE is working on the Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures game at the moment as well but that's probably its own dedicated department. I hope Free Realms beta testers automatically get accepted into the Clone Wars test. heh

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 1:54PM BubleFett said

On average about 20% of player support the 80% of players in F2P.
That would be 2.4 million player are paying for micro transaction in Free Realms
If you take Sony's word for it, of course. No to shabby I'd say.

John Smeadly did a conference at GDC 2010 where he explains the
learning curve that the designers went thru to get where they are today.

Be forewarned, it will get boring for those not inclined for this type of stuff.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 2:05PM Dblade said

That's way too high. This gamasutra article quotes a conversion rate of 5-10% a month, less for social games. Average revenue per user hovers at about a buck and change for many popular games. This is based on actual users per month though, not lifetime accounts, so out of that 12 million you need to take out all the people that signed up and don't play.

Source is http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4046/what_are_the_rewards_of_.php?page=3

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 5:58PM (Unverified) said

Last I saw Community Ambassador Pex mentioned they've stopped working on new areas. Not sure if this was temporary or not, but basically he said they have been put on hold while they work on different "tasks and content", which mainly seems to be seasonal stuff, some minor game tweaks and lots and lots of cash shop items. They did add a few more quests during the May update.

Everyone pretty much thinks most of the devs are working on the Clone Wars game and until someone from FR says otherwise, it looks like the game is no longer being significantly worked on. (SOE/FR staff feel free to step in here and correct me with some actual facts on new stuff if I'm wrong)

As such, I'm still playing and having fun but won't be buying anything else from SOE, no more station cash and will likely let my subscription run out next year when it is up. Yes it was really cheap (using double SC), but if SOE abandons a game after only one year then I pretty much don't need to have anything more to do with them.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 7:20PM mattwo said

As said what would be the number to know is those with a paid membership. However I can see this game is vastly overrated...

Posted: Jun 27th 2010 12:44AM Beau Hindman said

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the number, there are two facts:

1) A percentage of those accounts are not only subscribers, but also cash-shop purchasers. Or, one or the other. Even 5% would be a very impressive number, especially compared to other "normal" PTP games. Ask yourself how many PTP mmo's have anywhere near 50k or 100k players, or even 10k.

2) The proof is in the pudding. SOE has talked about the games success, but no one should argue that the game is doing poorly. They make plenty of money from the game.

When it comes to numbers, you have to ask "How can this number be of value?" Even if it was used to "lure" potential new players to the game, that has value. It can also help to tie-in other companies products (like breakfast cereals) and to sell advertising on the homepage.

In other words, this number is by no means useless or pointless.

Beau

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM