Posted: Jun 25th 2010 4:56PM (Unverified) said

Why do so many MMOs make you go search a wiki for item information, crafting information, etc for their games? They could easily have this info as part of the client and have everything listed right when and where you need it. I get really tired of having go search through some website to find out what I'm supposed to do with new item drops I haven't seen before or for things I just don't remember.

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 10:10AM (Unverified) said

I don't mean everything that is in the wiki, but more basic stuff. For instance, as you are familiar with Guild Wars, many items that drop (most really) can be salvaged for materials, some also have a chance to convert to a rare material. While I've been playing the game for years, I still have to stop what I'm doing and go check one of the two wiki sites to find out what those materials are for many items. That rather breaks the immersion of the game world when I have to keep switching out to a web browser.

Another example: crafting in Aion. I'll have a variety of materials (flux, ore, gems, etc.) that I might want to use to make something. But I have to write down all the items and then check each character's crafting designs to see if I can use those materials for anything, then check the Broker for any designs I may not have yet. Or, switch to a browser and check the armory or powerwiki, neither of which seems to have complete info on all the designs available for all the crafting professions.

In both cases above, a simple pop up info window (say, tied to something like shift-right click) could have such basic info without using hardly any more game resources or memory, as that info is already part of the game.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 5:09PM Blacknimbus said

Since Eve Online came up, I have a question. The reason I quit last time was because the sound and music stopped working. Not completely, I should say...I'd get a crackle and a pop everytime I switched views between the heads up and the map.

Has this been fixed? The thread referencing sound issues in the official forums was months old last time I checked. I'd like to avoid paying a months worth of sub fees just to find out it still doesn't work....again.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 10:50PM (Unverified) said

The forums are public. You could also use a trial account to test.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 9:28PM Blacknimbus said

Ok...another question. I've never given Guild Wars a try...which edition should I buy?

Posted: Jun 26th 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

If you are in North America the easiest and most cost effective is to just get Guild Wars Trilogy. It has all three campaigns for usually a lower price than getting the campaigns separately. It allows eight characters, so you can start one in each campaign to see which you might want to be your main, or just have several and switch between them when you want a change of pace. There are ten classes, four of which can only be created in the later campaigns (Assassin & Ritualist in Factions, Dervish and Paragon in Nightfall), so that also lets you play any of them. Later on, or whenever you see it for sale, you can add the Eye of the North expansion and you'll be all set.

For Europe (and I guess the rest of the world) there is the Guild Wars Complete Edition, which is the same as the Trilogy but also includes Eye of the North.

One Shots: Hello, autumn