Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:18PM (Unverified) said

Did they ever fix the whole "you can randomly get 10 complications" on any/some/all crafting combines, regardless of gear, actions, or any other player controlled variable?

Vanguard had (originally) the most masochistic crafting system I've ever seen in any MMO, even moreso than EQ1. Gotta give Brad McQuaid and his crack team of devs props for that one. Did SOE ever fix the crafting system? I bailed as soon as SOE bought it out.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:34AM (Unverified) said

'Vanguard had (originally) the most masochistic crafting system I've ever seen in any MMO, even moreso than EQ1'

Should've tried armourer when EQ2 first came out ;)

Posted: Aug 31st 2010 11:16AM (Unverified) said

agree

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:39PM Miffy said

• 1 heart
My problem with it was the really ugly character models and animations. I couldn't get past the first few levels because I couldn't take it anymore. I heard they were doing a remodel of them, so I came back and they didn't look any better, just worse if anything.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 2:04PM Zantom said

This still is one of my biggest beefs with Vanguard. The gumby-like character models. Take the world, the game mechanics (for the most part) slap in some fluid character models and you would have a real contender. Well, ok, there is a lot more then that, but you get my point...

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 5:00PM Purkit said

I completely agree. I really tried to love this game but the player characters were, and still are, some of the worst character models of any MMO. Its a shame because the choice of races and classes are excellent.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:46PM Daelen said

Not sure about crafting bugs since like you said it was just too masochistic but the transmuting, err deconstruction is buggy. I believe the next two major updates are scheduled to be bug bashes. Here's hoping swimming through rocks and getting stuck under rocks goes away =P

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:49PM Daelen said

Its the faces and standing pose of many of the races that kills it. The animations are fine but realistic compared to the over the top EQ2, AoC, WoW style animations.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 1:58PM (Unverified) said

What killed Vanguard for me was the easing of the levelling curve and the addition of fast travel, nothing more. Levelling was initially slow but there was more than enough content in the low-mid level ranges to keep you playing;loads to do and many, many different places to explore.

Then they made it quicker, added rifts and suddenly wondered why everyone is at cap complaining about a lack of content.

The game needed polish and some PVP on all servers (guild wars or something) and it would have survived.

A terrible, terrible shame to see the game die under such poor direction and management (both before SOE and after). Such a beautiful expansive world, fantastic music, awesome race and class design.

SOE should make it F2P or better yet, give it away as open source with the server code, at least when they shut it down.

Bah.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 1:59PM BigAndShiny said

vanguard! i am a casual player and enjoy the game...
someday something else will come along like it.
Just like Age Of Conan and WAR, Vanguard is a remnant from a time where everyone did believe it was possible to thrash wow on a small budget, where everyone had hope! Nowadays, everyone just give up.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 2:02PM Seffrid said

Lots of good things about the game in my experience. What has turned me off it, however, despite several returns is a combination of the empty gameworld and the complete lack of any sense of direction in the mid-20's and seemingly not much in the way of solo questlines at that point. The game leads you along quite nicely up to a point and then just abandons you in the middle of a massive world with no clue what to do or where to go next. Quite simply, I never get past that point.

SOE have actually done a lot more with the game than they're usually given credit for, but I can well understand that from a business point of view there simply isn't the revenue stream to justify doing more. I'm confident they'll keep it open, however, as long as there are people wanting to play it.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 10:41AM Carbon204 said

I didn't play the game at launch because of the litany of broken game play a friend in the beta was telling me about, so I waited until I snagged the collectors edition in a bargain bin for 7.99 (fancy velvet lined box and all). Even after all that time between launch and when I started playing, the game felt VERY rough, very "Hey, lets play open beta, but.. pay money." For comparison's sake, I got the same vibe with Age of Conan.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 5:10PM Jef Reahard said

Nice article Beau, enjoyed your perspective. My guild and I started VG beta way back in August 2006, and we continue to play off and on and hope to be able to do so for many more years.

Imo, VG was wasted on people that like to grind (which unfortunately describes the majority of this genre's audience). I think you're on the right track that people only have themselves to blame for burning through content, and I would add to that that taking the time to explore such a massive world, and heck, even roleplay, enhances one's enjoyment of Telon considerably.

If all people want is the same silly gear grind that's been done 1000 times before, then there are more polished games in which to do it. VG had some unique elements that unfortunately got lost under the weight of all the people who think MMORPGs are solely about progression.

My two cents anyway.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 5:13PM Lateris said

I love the diplomatic system.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 5:22PM Bezza said

Vanguard, I had such hopes for it, but it always ran like a three legged dog, and despite high end system specs it didn't look all that good. The mechanics of the game were far too wow-like (ie boring and slow combat) but I loved the flying mounts. Unfortunatly that was the only thing i loved about vanguard.

When AoC came out it seemed to me it was everything vanguard should have been, even with it's teathing issues. I did return to vanguard after it had apparently been polished but i found it was still lackluster. Like many mmo's that promise much in their media and advertising Vanguard delivered little.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 11:03AM (Unverified) said

Did they ever get the rain working in Vista / Win7?

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:37PM (Unverified) said

Nope still no rain in vista/7.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 7:17PM Valdamar said

> "I knew players who literally played in the same dungeon for several hours a night, six nights a week, often repeating the same content."

That sounds familiar - it sounds like Temple of Veeshan from EverQuest all over again (high-end dungeon from Scars of Velious expansion). My guild spent months doing exactly the same content, almost every single night, for 4-5 hours a night, because we needed to gear up in there for the high-end content in the Luclin expansion, and because for ages there was no other high end content worth doing. I got so sick of raiding there every night - it was the final straw that made me quit EverQuest after 3 years subscribed, the very day after I got my class chest piece (Rogue chain) - I felt no joy at getting this pinnacle item, just relief, that we were slightly closer to getting out of there - and that's when the epiphany hit me, that MMOs should be fun not work.

Poor Vanguard - it copied all the mistakes from Brad's first MMO, EverQuest, just because the screaming minority of masochists in beta made Brad believe they were the "vanguard" of a huge majority who would subscribe because they were sick of WoW's dumbing down and fast levelling - "if you build it, they will come" - well "they" never came, because they were too busy having fun in other MMOs.

I was in Vanguard closed beta, til the stupidity (from both sides) drove me away in disgust, but in those 3-4 months (playing almost every night) I'd already seen what I needed to see, and saw enough of Brad's "vision" to know that most tester feedback was falling on deaf ears and that he only wanted to listen to the hardcore masochists on the forum, who drove away every other reasonable voice there.

Turgid gameplay, horrendously high system requirements, ugly avatars, mostly empty world, dull dungeons, not enough interesting quests, not enough people sticking around in beta to properly test group dynamics - Vanguard already had enough problems before Brad and the hardcore testers put the first few nails in its coffin lid, and it's been dragging that coffin behind it ever since.

I'm sure it's vastly improved now - it's hard to see how it could possibly be worse and still be limping along, even on SOE life support - but first impressions count, and sadly Vanguard was the d├ębutante with a great body, good pedigree, such potential, but a hideously ugly face and a terrible personality so that only a small minority wanted to dance with her. She may be improving with age, but who wants to dance with a grandma when there are fun-loving pretty d├ębutante MMOs coming of age every week?

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 11:40AM DancingCow said

I had the exact same experience, though for me it was WOW and MC.

I levelled 3 chars to the level cap, but after 6 weeks of mind-numbingly dull and repetitive raiding I threw in the towel and now won't touch any MMO whose end-game is so raid-centric.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 1:12PM Valdamar said

Yeah I must admit I've totally avoided raiding endgames since EverQuest and its sequel - they just get so repetitive and grindy, and I just end up taking it too seriously and not having fun.

When I played WoW I quit not long after getting my first L70 (this was in BC era) - I just didn't fancy the raid endgame and was annoyed at Blizzard for a) putting most of the major storylines in raids (when most raiders didn't even care about story) and b) treating most of the major Warcraft characters so poorly story-wise (especially Illidan).