Posted: Jun 24th 2010 10:53AM (Unverified) said

Aion. Made it to level 4 with my first character, hating every moment of it. Logged off, telling myself I should give it more of a chance, and I'd come back to it. Every time I thought about firing it up again, the thought was too much to bear.

It's hard to succinctly describe what I disliked about it (unless I just say "everything"). One thing was that it seemed relentlessly pretty and precious, to an annoying degree.

Runner up is Star Trek Online. I bought Champions Online early on, partly to get a look at the game engine that would be used for STO, and partly to get into the STO beta. I actually liked Champions up through about level 14 (which is about where you discover that the world is small, boring, repetitive, tedious, and plagued by a relentless sameness and a serious lack of verisimilitude). The Champions character customization is rightly touted as great, and the power systems are tons of fun. If only there was anything interesting to do with your powers once you have them.

Then STO hit and it had all the bad parts of Champions, without much of the good parts. In addition, it has an interstellar travel feature that somehow manages to make galactic space seem small, cramped, and boring.

Oh well.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 10:57AM Heraclea said

I must be surprisingly patient. I tried Guild Wars, the original/vanilla, for maybe a week and a half. The disconnect between the barren instances and the crowded social zones was too great, and the cities were too packed to interact in a sensible way with other players. I got to around level 10 and could not continue.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:00AM J Brad Hicks said

Not counting free trials and F2P, counting only ones I actually bought: EVE Online. Played through free trial, bought the game for $15, still ended up unsubscribing at the 7 week (counting trial) mark. Couldn't get past the boring combat animations and boring PvE.

Counting free trials and F2P, probably Requiem Bloodymare, which I wanted to like, but just couldn't get into because it felt extremely clunky. I think I gave up after maybe 4 hours.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:31AM (Unverified) said

I played Chronices of Spellborn for 2 days before deleting it, even though I won a "30 day subscription" to the game AFTER it was announed it was going f2p. No population, weird graphics (new style does not equal better) and bugged quests.

I deleted STO trial after 30 minutes, but can't count that as it was a trial and not the full game.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:36AM (Unverified) said

Champions Online - 1 week
LOTRO - 1 week
City of Heroes - 2 weeks
Fallen Earth - 2 weeks
Everquest II - 1 month
WoW - 3 years

If only there was a market for selling MMO's that have already used the free month of playtime.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:45AM breezer said

A lot of F2P games where I log on, find there's no WASD, or WASD sucks and uninstall.

Similarly, the 2 times I tried Guild Wars, I was so appalled by the controls, I uninstalled before leaving the very first tutorial area.

I've tried Everquest twice and... I don't even... Aside from apparently having no art director, it's probably the most user-unfriendly game ever made.

Fallen Earth sadly only held me for a couple hours. Like others have said, I wanted to like it, but it was kind of a) overwhelming and b) couldn't stay awake while I played it.

Fantasy Earth Zero is another one I tried (recently) for a couple hours. Only to find I couldn't hit anyone with any class to save my life. Ridonculously difficult game.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

I tend to try a ton of free-to-play games, just to see if any of them are any good. I don't even remember what it was called, but one of the ones I tried, I only played for about five minutes. I loaded it up, and there were no keyboard movement controls, only click-to-move.

I put up with this through the first quest, but the slimes they wanted me to kill for said quest made the most HORRENDOUS noises. I thought someone was slowly killing a cat in my backyard.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:47AM Snorii said

DAoC - nothing against the game, just played it one night with a couple of friends, but never went back. I didn't even try out anything like starting quests, etc. I just met up with them, looked around shortly and logged off. I've always heard pretty good things about the game, but I was interested in other mmo games at the time.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:49AM (Unverified) said

Aion: 4 hours
Age of Conan: CE ! and played for 2 weeks
War: 8 days in open Beta
Lotro: 10 days
TR: 2 weeks in open Beta
D&D On line: 2 weeks 3 years ago and downloaded recently the F2P version: 4 sessions of 1 hour.
Pirates of the Burning Sea: 3 months
EVE: 2 times played for 1 hour.
EQ2: Horrible experience with a child crying over apples: 2 hours.
DAoC: 2 days
RoM: downloaded and left upon seeing the first screen after 5 minutes.
Daktaron: 1 hour (horrible !)
Guild Wars: did not properly install.
Second Life: 2 months.

WOW ... Almost 5 years and counting.

NO further comments.

Future plans: SW: only open beta to see the liniair play.
GW2: probably buy.
New plans to play Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Desperatly waiting for a new Blizard MMO (NOT playing SC2 and NO intrest in D3).

Can't play single line RPG anymore...

Tx Blizzard you ruined them all.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:53AM (Unverified) said

I even forgot to mention:

City of Heroes: 1 week
Star Trek on Line open Beta: 4 days.

God I wanted to like ST, but really ... (perhaps when it goes to 5 Euro in the basket ) ...

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 3:16PM Streamweaver said

I've had several very short experiences.

DawnTide I moved around in briefly, hated the intro and decided it wasn't worth playing for me all in about an hour.

STO I pre-ordered and was pretty much out before the end of the HeadStart.

Various other games never made it for me past the free month including Vangard, Warhammer, Champions Online and Aion

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:53AM Evy said

I'm a beta ho. I test every game I can get my mitts on. I've stayed with very, very few of them longer than a month. The only game in recent memory that I really didn't like was STO.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:06PM Minofan said

Aion beta is the one I recall most vividly - the closest thing to an allergic reaction a piece of software is ever likely to cause me - but in the purchased category it would be Anarchy Online (5 years ago); couldn't get the frackin' thing working going above & beyond reasonable measures, till I binned it in disgust.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:22PM (Unverified) said

Ultima Online - I lasted for most of an evening, thought 'this doesn't seem much like Ultima any more', then quit it, never to return.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:24PM (Unverified) said

I should also say that I subscribed to WoW on and off for about two years, but only got a character up to level 9 and one to level 6, as I simply didn't play it at all.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:22PM Djinn said

Not counting the many asian F2P I have tried, Eve Online was the shortest - only a few hours of play. Did not get into it at all. Second shortest was EQ which lasted a couple of days - didn't like the corpse runs and everything just seemed too difficult. EQ was my first MMO so I wasn't even comparing it with anything. Then STO which lasted a few days - although I'm not big on space combat I liked that better than the ground missions. Finally in CoH I spent about a week. I really wanted to like it cause I love the superhero genre but I had a hard time getting past level 4 or 5.

I was in Beta for Vanguard and AoC but I stopped playing both before I had to pay a subscription. We all know why for Vanguard. AoC's launch issues didn't bother me that much, I just didn't like the game.

I am really anticipating SWTOR but I remember the hype for Vanguard...

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:26PM Azimn said

For me it was Everquest.
I played EQ2 2 years ago when they had the free 2 month deal going on and I really liked the game, but I wanted to try EQ.

I have had friends that were obsessed with EQ back in the pre-Wow era and I was looking forward to seeing these old zones. I waited 2 weeks of trying to install and download the game and finally when I did the controls and way the game played made me uninstall it after about 30 min.

Someday I might try it again, but for me that was the shortest game session from all of my MMO experiences.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:30PM (Unverified) said

Vanguard - About 15 minutes. This was only a few months ago, so it wasn't the bad launch. It was the slow combat and terrible animations, and the fact that it did not look good enough to justify the poor frame rate I was getting.

Pirates of the Burning Sea - About an hour? Horribly disappointed.

Mortal Online - 2 hours, but it ran so poorly and crashed so much it just wasn't worth it. I'd give it another shake if I could be convinced it would run well, or at least stably.

APB - about an hour and a half maybe. And most of that was designing my character. It ran poorly, and the car controls were just inexcusably bad.

STO - maybe 2 weeks in "open" beta. Was glad I was able to get my pre-order refunded before it shipped. Wasted potential, repetitive, and the exploration system was a joke. Ship combat was kinda fun at first, but repeated ad nauseum with nothing else to do but the poor ground combat, I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on it.

Lots of F2P games - anywhere from a couple of hours to a week of off and on play. I dunno why, I keep trying, thinking eventually I'll find one that clicks. Some of them I really WANT to like, but they just won't let me. And what's up with almost none of them letting you remap your controls? Between that and the weird or nonexistent WASD implementation they use, sometimes it's just a control issue.

I never seem to stick with any MMO for more than about 3 months anyway. City of Heroes is the lone exception, but even that has not been able to draw me back in the way it used to. Might give it another shot with Going Rogue, but I remain skeptical.

Some games I'm willing to give more time to, especially if I had some regular peeps to play with:

Chronicles of Spellborn, Fantasy Earth Zero, Wizard 101, Allods Online.

Games I WANT to like but get disappointed when I try to play them again Aika Online, Soul of the Ultimate Nation

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 12:52PM (Unverified) said

A little game called Endless Ages, played for about an hour and I was sick to my stomach.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 1:00PM mysecretid said

Three occasions spring to mind:

1. First time ever = The first time I played EverQuest 1. I could not /believe/ this was the game everyone had been going on and on about. I lasted maybe half-an-hour.

2. The first time I played EVE Online (I went back twice more later in an attempt to give it a fairer shake -- still never liked it). Again, I was astonished at how the massive hype did /not/ match up with my gameplay experience.

3. Most recently = Vanguard. I wanted to find something to like in this one, but the graphics made my eyes ache. I was permanently gone in about an hour, and never looked back.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014