Posted: Jun 24th 2010 1:28PM Superfan said

I guess you sure don't get much for $10. You can tell both costume types are variations of what is already in game (bio-organic and another metallic type option - forget the name). This seems like nothing more than a cash grab.

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 3:37PM Torch Light said

I'd wouldn't say a cash grab but I will agree this felt a little weak in open beta, Especially compared to the flare that the magic booster got, Jeez! I'd have to see the emotes and the power's stats but at this point it feels less like a 'mutant' pack and more of a 'freaky/demony' pack. Huh... not sure if that means the same...

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 7:42PM (Unverified) said

I would like the chance to actually make a respectable mutant hybrid creature.I'm looking for the new faces mostly.The change costume emotes looks awesome! I wonder what this Mutant secondary is all about

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 7:47PM Valdamar said

Yeah this is definitely the weakest super-booster so far - as weak as the "wedding pack" that came out before the super-boosters (which I didn't buy, cos it looked poor) - and these costume parts don't lend themselves to being used well with other costume pieces - not as well as the parts in previous super-boosters (cyborg, magic and natural packs especially) - they pretty much only look decent used as a full set from what I've seen.

I may not buy this one. It feels like a rush job they squeezed out while everyone was busy working on Going Rogue, in the same way as the last few "free" issues have been really lightweight too.

I'm not ready to cry doom though - on the official forums David Nakayama (CoH art lead, Top Cow / Marvel comic artist) has been gathering player requests and ideas on what to include with future super-boosters (now that they've covered all 5 origins and have a blank slate on the potential themes for future costume boosters) - CoH is still the best MMO in existence for putting playerbase recommendations/suggestions into their MMO and there's no Dev studio quite like them, so they still have my full support.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 11:21AM CitizenH said

I think that's an accurate take on this pack.

The stuff in the booster isn't bad. It's just that the whole thing is very light on bang for your buck.

The costume parts look great...as a set. They're just not very modular and that's key with costume parts in a system like CoX's. They're for very specific concepts and not everyone (even everyone on the dev team) agrees they're very "mutant-y". When I saw the first set in game I thought of demonic armor ala Witchblade and the second looks like a burn victim who's bleeding glowstick gel.

The costume change emotes, while looking great, don't say mutant to me either, with the exception of Rappid Boil.

The character emotes have *nothing* to do with the theme either, IMO, but they still look good.

The Secondary Mutation power, while I think it's the most mutation-like thing in the pack, isn't especially potent but I think that's fine given the nature of it. It's worth it just for the chance to watch your friend pull a negative mutation and have a laugh at them.

All in all, the booster feels pretty much a grab bag of random stuff they had laying around. None of it bad exactly, but none of it super aweseome either, and most of it being mismatched.

Posted: Jun 25th 2010 1:34PM Valdamar said

Yeah. I must admit when they started doing the origin-themed packs I always thought the mutant pack would have lots of anthropomorphic parts - i.e. more beast parts - we still need aquatic fins/heads (like CO has), some bird-like head/leg/body options (to match the feathered wings we already get) and lots more general beast fur options for body/arms/legs (though the free tails they just added look decent) including a proper wolf-like head and maybe bear, bull, etc. too - the current beast heads are too generic. Though secretly I was hoping the mutant pack would also have some mutated human parts, like maybe a tentacle arm for each side (though I guess that might pose animation issues with holding some weapons for some powersets - though that didn't stop them adding a hook pirate arm in CoV), more skin textures, more facial deformities, etc.

So yeah, I'm disappointed personally, but being objective rather than subjective for a moment I also think this booster is a bit content-light, like the science booster was in terms of costume parts (though it had lots of other goodies - emotes were especially good, and the body changing in tailor). The Magic booster is probably highest quality so far, Cyborg/Tech not far behind, but I think MartialArts/Natural has had the highest number of costume parts in total.

> "When I saw the first set in game I thought of demonic armor ala Witchblade and the second looks like a burn victim who's bleeding glowstick gel."

Yeah that's exactly what I thought too.

Posted: Jun 28th 2010 11:33PM (Unverified) said

Ok so the end of the Entry period was last Friday, 06/25/10, and today is Monday, the 28th. When will the winners be announced ? Have I miss that posting somewhere?