Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 1:44PM Ripper McGee said

Back when I was in the first Mythos beta, I thought it was going to go head-to-head with Dungeon Runners for the top F2P hack-n-slash spot. Boy was I wrong!

That being said, I'm curious as to what changes have been made to the game. The actual game looks the same, but the UI is different. Here's an example of what it looked like in various Flagship beta phases:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa64/ripper_mcgee/Mythos/screenshot_000040.jpg (before overworld)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa64/ripper_mcgee/Mythos/screenshot_000048.jpg (after overworld)

~Ripper

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 1:53PM Greenimp said

I'm pretty excited about this game! I too played the beta while under Flagship and the game had a lot of potential then! With these new screen shots I have renewed optimism that Redbana is doing great things with the game!

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 1:56PM (Unverified) said

Wow Dungeon Runners..such a shame that got closed down. I remember reading your threads on mmorpg.com, Ripper.

Mythos was a great little game although with the massive changes they made, we never really got to taste the Overworld that much. Prior to that, it was really good fun. I loved the crafting system and crafting skill trees they put in, and the gathering wasnt a huge grind. I hope Redbana arent going to fool around with the formula too much.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 1:59PM (Unverified) said

How (if at all) does this game/company relate to Torchlight? Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought that's where the Mythos dev had gone into, first for the single player game and then eventually for a MMO.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 2:16PM (Unverified) said

The company doesn't relate to Torchlight at all. The sequence of events sort of goes like this:

First, there was Flagship Studios. They made Hellgate: London and most people decided it sucked. They also had a little side project called Mythos, which started as a technology test and gradually grew into a full-fledged game under the guidance of Travis Baldree (the creator of the very fun Fate).

Then, there was no Flagship Studios. All assets of the company (including Mythos) were sold off to other companies. Mythos was dead.

Then there was Runic Games, founded by ex-Flagship staffers, including Travis Baldree. In an astonishingly short amount of time Runic Games whipped out Torchlight, which is a strong spiritual sucessor to Fate (to the point of being Fate 2). Torchlight the single player rpg was intended to be a stepping stone to Torchlight the MMO. Torchlight used NO art or programming assets from Mythos, and shares very little of the ideas behind Mythos either.

Then Redbana was awarded ownership of the Mythos assets and the game was resurrected from the dead.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 2:18PM (Unverified) said

mythos devs (flagship seattle) lost the mythos IP in flagship's sinking.

They then created runic games and proceeded to develop torchlight.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 2:51PM Dumac said

Back from the dead... Again... lol :)

I'm not sure i trust Redbana.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 6:18PM breezer said

The 90s called, they want their camera angle back.

Top down holds ZERO appeal to those who were never Diablo or lineage(?) fans. Seems like a foolish trend IMO.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 3:50PM Randomessa said

I was very excited when I first heard news of Mythos' resurrection, but after so long with nary an update, and now this....

I think I'll wait for more results before I get hyped up again. It's good to know the project isn't completely dead, though.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 7:33PM Dopamin said

Well, I was in the first beta and I'm afraid that I have to disagree with anyone who believes this piece of software would be something worth waiting for.

In short it was a superfluous, uninspired, cheap looking waste of time, especially for someone who seeks something even remotely "MMOy". Its only upside was the fact that it made me want to play Diablo instead. Or do something completely unrelated to computers.
Sorry. :-(

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:01AM Ripper McGee said

@ Breezer I believe Flagship added the ability to rotate the camera and change the angle to almost 11st person, but I can't remember for sure

@Dopamin To each their own, although I agree that the original version (pre-overworld) wasn't very MMOish. It was basically an updated Diablo, albeit with some major design flaws, IMO. That being said, once overworld was released, my opinion of it changed greatly. although I still wouldn't call it a full featured MMO. More like MMO-lite. It didn't stop it from being relatively fun for me to play, though, even though I didn't think it was anywhere near release ready.

~Ripper

Posted: Jun 24th 2010 11:06AM (Unverified) said

Was tons of fun in early beta. Looking forward to the release, even if it is now in new hands.

One Shots: Hello, autumn