Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

I re-subbed to this about a month ago to see what had changed, not much but i did solo a jedi up to lvl 42 then i realized i was the only character on the server that wasnt lvl 90 so i kind of ran out of things to do...oh well.
It did feel a bit more "star warsy" than it did this time last year though not sure why...maybe its all the coverage of SWTOR that got me interested in the IP again.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

Ya know what's not so Star Warsy? That screenshot above.

2 suns. 1 shadow.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 12:52PM (Unverified) said

SWG was a horrible game when it started. It had some good things, like having your own house to build wherever you wanted and a magnificent UI, but nothing else. The worlds were all empty of content, the game was null, and was impossible to play of lag problems and bugs.

I played for two months in 2003 and left it forever.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

How can you say that this game was anything but amazing?! sure it wasnt a raid driven game like WoW but it was a completely player driven experience. The items that you wanted weren't from a dungeon or a raid, they were crafted and created from hard work and crafting. Sure they should have fixed the questing system, but you could literally do what you wanted. Exploring, crafting, and even some instance runs. Not in the traditional sense, but the DWB and Corvette run were "dungeons"

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 12:55PM Greeen said

Welcome onboard, Justin.
I resubbed myself a few weeks back and am enjoying myself, even if I have to solo a lot as a non-90. I have a trader though as well, and together with beastmastery I have plenty to do. Even quit DF over this :D

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 1:15PM (Unverified) said

I played SWG for a bit after release, up until player towns became available and I lost my house because i wasn't part of the guild that put a town there.

People say that was when it was in its heyday. I can't imagine it getting worse than it was.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:31PM Brianna Royce said

The "lost your house" euphemism is misleading. If you left, you chose to leave under social pressure, not because of some faulty game mechanic. SWG has many -- that isn't one. Mayors have never been able to boot unwelcome houses out of player cities. The worst they could do was ban players from certain public structures, and even most of those features were removed from the game a short time after cities launched. You could certainly have gone right on living in your home even after a city's boundaries expanded to include you. Even today, it's basically impossible to get rid of a player you don't want living in your city -- unless his account has gone active for a long period of time.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record -- I played from beta on; I think the NGE was mostly terrible; and I still prefer the current game to the original, in spite of my wonderful first-year memories. The early game was devoid of game content; all content was player-generated. Nowadays, it's both. I prefer both.

I'm tickled Justin had such a good time -- I don't think the newbie experience in a sandbox like this is very kind.

-Bree

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 4:14PM (Unverified) said

you know what they can do? Tax everyone ridiculously high, then give back the money to the people they want staying. Or at least they could at the time. Anyway, the reason our guild didn't get the location and theirs did was because we got a critical failure on the crafting of the town. A totally random result that wiped out a whole bunch of resources and basically wrecked it for the entire guild.

Yeah, what a golden age.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:19PM karnisov said

given the lack of space combat in TOR probably until the first expansion pack, if ever, SWG might hang on for a while.

and yeah ground combat in SWG is pretty loose.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:32PM Lateris said

I remember becoming a Master Droid Engineer. I was so proud. I played for 5 years from open beta and through the NGE. I think the game is in a better state since the NGE was released. The server merges really stuffed everyone onto my server Star Sider which was cool with me. But I left for LOTRO and Eve right on my 5 year marker. I miss Jump to light speed. It is frustrating to see no new planets added to the game after all this time. But then again I can see why with the TOR coming. Viva la Star Sider.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:34PM Lateris said

Justin are you running a mod? Because I just saw the T-16 hopper in your screen shot. Are you running the DX 10 mod :)

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 4:03PM (Unverified) said

Awesome to hear you had such a great experience, Justin. Star Wars Galaxies will never have big numbers, nor will it ever exsist in the Golden Age in which in dwelled when it originaly lost; but, like Luke Skywalker himself, the SW-MMO that could has come a long way and though batted about and told some things better left unheard it's now a strong figure in it's own right. I resubbed not *too* long back, rolled a Jedi (Yeah, I know. Bite me) and to about Level 30 before my sub ran out. Due to work I didn't renew but in the time that I played it was a really Fun adventure had in a galaxy far far away.

The In-Game even they had for the Death Troopers novel as well as the Hoth event really showed how far the game had come, giving players I think thier first real chance to put all thier hard earned skills to the test and earn some insane Loot in the process. SOE has promised more content but with TOR looming on Horizon they might choose to pull back a bit until they see which way the wind blows in regards to thier current sub-numbers. Honestly, I don't see people completely abadoning SWG. At the end of the day it's still a place full of great friends and experiences and for those reasons alone it will endure the coming of every Star War fan's Wet Dream. No pun intended.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 8:15PM Zantom said

I came back to SWG after a few month LOA. I really love this game. There are lots of things to be annoyed at, and problems for sure, but it has a complexity to it that is so refreshing given the vat of dumbed down MMOs released in the last few years. I have not found a game yet that presents as many different goals and non-combat features as SWG.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 1:06AM Tristik said

~~
Should have read up a bit on the new player experience before starting. One of the hardest things when I came back to the game was the absolutely horrid default keymap. I spent the first 45 minutes or so just re-keybinding things.

And about the Jump Animations: Just clear the binding and never use it. You can't jump over anything (it IS just an animation) and it serves no purpose whatsoever.
~~