Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 12:13PM (Unverified) said

The two sides

The dark side: My desk is full of rubbish... not really redbulls and pre-cooked food but mostly salads leftovers and bottles of waters. My room is a mess: clothes on the floor and stuff everywhere. This is a clear sign that I play MMOs too much and I do not have time to clean it. Am I addicted? Yes :(. Am I a nerd? Quite possible. Did I ever neglected girlfriend/friends/job/real life because of MMOs? Of course! English is not my mother tongue, and I am afraid that MMOs had quite a bad influence in the way I speak. I am not exactly saying LFG, AFK or Noob to anyone, but I have an hard time explaining to my friends how possibly I can have a so extended vocabulary about medieval weapons/objects, mystic animals or fantasy things!

The bright side: Is it my life? I do not think so. I try to disguise it as much as I can. Playing is like a crime ^^. My girlfriend does not know anything about it and I lie to cover any playing session^^. Am I the MMOs nerd stereotype? Probably, but certainly I do not look like one. I am working hard to finish my PhD, I spend every week-end skydiving, with 2 records, 2 medals and a world championship on the way. I do juggling, sport, I stay with my girlfriend and I go dancing quite often. From outside I might look like a normal person, and people won't believe how long I spend playing videogames. I find the time to play using time people would use for common life needs: sleep, house keeping, watching tv or relaxing. :(

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 12:45PM (Unverified) said

LOL not even close. I am more of one of those people that hates on people in game for how long they spend time online.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 12:53PM Its Utakata stupid said

Does having your apartment wall to wall'd with anime posters count as well?

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 9:02PM (Unverified) said

I work in IT. Isn't it s Prerequisite to be nerdy and love the MMO's?

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 1:56PM (Unverified) said

I fit everyone of those stereotypes besides being fat. My desk is full is drinks/food, i play from when i wake up till when i go to sleep and ive never spoken to a girl since i was 11 and the funny part is im not joking. The only thing that matters to me is being at the top of what ever MMO it is im playing.

I use mmo talk all the time, i dont care if some noob thinks it wierd. I also dont understand why people dont think they're nerds when they have wife/children because they probably are and if they arnt then they shouldnt be playing MMOs anyway because they probably casuals.

Elite gamer till the end.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 4:34PM DeadlyAccurate said

O_o

People shouldn't play MMOs if they're casual gamers and/or nerds? What kind of sense does that make?

Really, you should go out in public every once in a while and talk to people (please bathe first). Having a healthy life outside of gaming will make your game time all the more enjoyable.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:53PM (Unverified) said

I only fit into the last one. and i only use RPG speak with my "nerd" friends. But i play in a band, i "talk" to girls (hehe) and hot pockets are disgusting

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 2:17PM BigAndShiny said

and yet, if none of us are the stereotype then where does it come from? either people are just lying to seem normal (which tbh, i doubt) or there must be some people who live in their mom's basement and play wow all day? the stereotype must come from somewhere?

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 2:18PM BigAndShiny said

lol, i didn;t read post above me...

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 2:54PM (Unverified) said

I somewhat fit the stereotype but I got there in an odd way. I basically was a "cool" person you know ,partied and such, but then I just started to hate everything and now I'm 28 I don't work, I hate everyone I've ever known and everyone I meet, mmo's are the only way I even bother to communicate with people (well and comments and forums) because I can get that human interaction, but can leave whenever I want.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 5:45PM (Unverified) said

Does middle-aged white guy count as a stereotype?

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

Married 33 year old female. My husband is not into gaming, though I've tried to get him - he did play WoW with me for a while. But I quit it, and he's not interested in any gaming. My house is untidy often (never dirty, cluttered), but that predates gaming. I have other hobbies, two graduate degrees (one of them earning while being in an active raiding guild), a job, very good people skills, and write decently. I have typos sometimes; I don't proofread chatting as much as I would a paper or report. I'm sort of a healthy food nut and avoid things like hotpockets and Red Bull. I do often stay up late playing. If I'm not playing, I stay up reading. It's more about how peaceful it is at night, that I have time to relax alone than about the game taking over life.

As for stereotypes, there a people who do fit them. One of my brothers flunked out of college the first time he went due to gaming instead of homework and classes. He and his friends did seem to mainline Mountain Dew and pizza. It took him several years, getting married and having a son to reorder some of his priorities.

I think these stories are the default mental box into which gamers are put for the same reason that the crazy religious extremists make news, and the religious people who are sane, balanced, sincere and spend their time volunteering with the homeless and giving money to disaster relief are under the radar. Craziness is more attractive to talk about (and helps one feel superior for not being that crazy.) Sanity and balance are boring for gossip.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 6:05PM chuckasucka said

I am a typical gamer, yes.

I am excessively overweight and have no posture to speak of. I am unemployed and collect disability checks because I am unable to perform even simple stay at home employment, as my carpal tunnel syndrome is so severe that I have to take a break for an hour once a day from gaming. I sleep an average of 4.5 hours a night. I set my alarm for when daily quests and raid lockouts reset so that I can be as efficient and competitive as possible in game. I have several internet girlfriends in Eastern Europe, Asia, and Latin America. We don't plan on ever meeting, but we do have sessions on webcam. They all know about one another. We often watch anime online together over Skype. My dermatologist has sent an ambulance to my house twice now, but I have refused to seek treatment for what she calls "an unstable protective dermis". When I turned 19, my natural body odor became that of Frito's. In the hottest months of the summer, that of Cheetos. All of my gaming accounts are in my mother's name. I pay half of the electricity bill as my rent for the apartment in her basement, which is partially furnished. I choose to live in the unfurnished half.

I have several reptiles as pets, which come and go out of their cages at their leisure.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 8:44PM (Unverified) said

You win.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 9:22PM chuckasucka said

Yesssssssssssssss!

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 6:12PM Graill440 said

"You will never learn where i live unless i invite you..." movie reference, anyway, some personal stuff. Ok, lets play the game...

Retired at 41, 22 years military service. Single (by choice) not because i speak my mind and constantly call her a "slam piece".......what!? Tons of man toys and for that reason i have the standard "part time" friends AND family that like to pretend they like me for my conversation and wit. (grin)

I also have two wilful and insolent Korats.

Lotr is the only MMO i currently play from time to time.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 7:02PM (Unverified) said

Getting in late on this but who cares.

I've always played video games, my entire life of 24 years. They trip some switch in my brain like nothing else does. In spite of that, I maintain other hobbies because I know they make me more well-rounded and likely to be accepted by others. MMO's, in my opinion, are king.

Fit the stereotype? Meh. I keep my gaming pretty much secret. I'm a career person - asset management - on track to be very successful. I go to some really cool bars with some really beautiful women. 'Get to know them' occasionally. One of my good friends is running for Congress and will probably win - I'm on his finance committee. So I live the life I'm living and don't really have any 'gamer' friends. Pursuing a good career and trying to help people when I can seems like the right thing to do.

The nice thing about MMO's is the ability to be somewhere and build something and be completely incognito - no one really cares. I spend plenty of late nights beings someone else entirely - raiding Icecrown, pumping my gearscore, knocking over a POS or two in EVE. In the morning my thought process kicks back into normal and it's back to analyzing trends instead of planning gear upgrades.

If duality were a stereotype, I would fit it. Like a boss.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 7:30PM mysecretid said

I get that most people don't see themselves as the gamer stereotype, and I'm inclined to believe that a lot of these people are representing themselves accurately.

However ...

Every time I start to think that the "stereotypical gamer" is nothing but a myth, I run into people who make the stereotypical gamer from "South Park", pictured above, look /tame/ by comparison.

The smell was what really got to me with a couple of these guys ... it was like, "The baby Jesus wants you to learn what a bar of soap is, guys. Seriously."

So, yeah, in general the stereotype is an unfair generalization, but I think it persists because there are enough visible gamers who /do/ fit the stereotype that it's not going to go away any time soon.

The weirdest thing? Some of the worst "stereotypical gamers" I've encountered would swear up and down that they're not the stereotype. Totally oblivious to the truth of themselves.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 10:48PM (Unverified) said

So Let me get this straight, I have played Tons of MMO's and can never escape immature chat talk and whining but now cause this forum is up Everybody just happens to be married with kids and Professional? Come on! So what sterotypes just fall out of thin air right? If I had a dime for every nerdy little fanboy who got mad at me in a MMO cause I didnt dig his "RolePlaying" I would have a Buttload of Dimes!

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 11:14PM (Unverified) said

All of you "parents" should be aware that your children are out there, playing the same games you are, except they're illiterate, bad-mouthed, and anti-social. If they learned that behavior from you, you should be ashamed. If they didn't, then you again, should be ashamed. Either through emulation or lack of discipline, your children are running rampant on the internet like droves of retarded, illiterate hyenas.

Neglectful soccer-moms and golf-dads is all I see here.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM