Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 5:09AM Samael said

Yes I do hate the guy, you got that right. The place where you got it wrong is that it will be a benefit to the players in anyway.

As a business, I would not change something if it did not offer me some advantages in some way. The way Bobby sees it is that he is getting $60 for a game then getting $30/year so far in DLC by releasing 2 DLC packs.

Now that comes out to $90/year. No way in all the hells of all the cultures and religions, will he ever change anything if it did not net him around $120/year or so from the player.

So when I say that this is a bad idea I do so from an economics stand point as well. The same gameplay we get for $90 we will have to shell $120 for. So yes it does not help us gamers in any way what so ever.

It is for people like you who cannot see that they will be raising prices on us and that is a bad thing for us that they are able to do this. I was just hoping that there are more of us than there are of you, but from the sheer amount of people that bought the $15 map packs, it says otherwise.

So don't worry, I am sure he will come up with a brilliant plan to get more money out of you but give you the same amount of gameplay. And I am sure you will happily hand over the cash. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect some others to like it too much.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 5:33AM (Unverified) said

"I put my trust in economics."

Putting trust in economics is fine, except, you know, when it leads to praising executives who prioritize short term gains over any sort of sustainability. But what do I know, it's not like this type of behavior could lead to anything serious, right?

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 9:33AM alinos said

Theres also the fact that the last Call of Duty they released

is broken in so many ways that to charge the retail price they did is a crime and its unlikely theyll truelly make something better who know that could change with treyach's next game

Most likely youd pay the 15 a month for the year(or more because they love charging more for there stuff) and then get the 2 map packs theyre selling for the 30 dollars this year

maybe it would also pay for someone to actually update VAC

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 1:31PM (Unverified) said

Kotick's not talking about making an MMO.

He's talking about charging a subscription to play CoD online.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 1:39PM (Unverified) said

Yay, someone gets it.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 1:52PM (Unverified) said

I get it too! I promise! :)
I admit I used the term "mmo". But I did describe a subscription service!

So much hate. It clouds my judgement. The dark side is strong in these parts...

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Trion has beat him to it - that's what their Syfy Action MMO is going to deliver.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 2:22PM Samael said

MMO? nope, Kotick just wants us to pay for playing online. I would like to see that one get going. I would like to see idiots paying for that service, while normal people playing normal games.

I love MW2 MP, but there is no way in all the hells of all cultures and religions, will I ever be paying a sub for that thing. Man I would like to slap the smugness right out of him.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:08PM Bhima said

Gah, this guy is still around? I guess my vote of "no confidence" for Kotick as the CEO (being a shareholder, I get to do this) didn't have any effect. Not that I thought it would, but it felt good to click that radio button and say, "GTFO the gaming industry!"

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:24PM rochrist said

This is the idiot who ran off virtually everyone responsible for actually creating CoD.

No thanks.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 3:52PM (Unverified) said

Why people hate this guy so much is beyond me. He has repeatedly stated he is not a gamer, he is a businessman. And from a business stand point he has made the gaming industry what it is today. We should be thanking him for opening the doors for "big-budget" gaming and from what I am guessing his next move will be (or hoping rather) is taking over the failure that is hollywood and buying activision their own studio.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 4:44PM scissors125 said

I wonder what add-ons that soldier has. That action bar looks really nice.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 5:01PM (Unverified) said

I suggest the people defending Kotick do some research.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 5:49PM Graill440 said

"COD used to be the best franchise"

Battlfield Bad Company2 beats COD hands down and the the mass exodus of devs from COD proves that.

The guy mulling over making a COD MMO may well think long and hard about the Bc2 franchise.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 6:57PM remover said

My problem isn't the sheer amount of cash cow milking going on, but the track record of the gameplay itself.

It's popular for whatever reason (I blame mostly marketing, personally), and I always felt ripped off.

The games don't last long at all, and then you go online to play for hours on end on these tiny shoe box maps where people are using all manner of weapons (sniper rifle, long range explosive equipment) all at ranges that you would almost always use a pistol or shotgun or something. I don't want little "cage matches". If they somehow made an expansive war front without borders and dumb tiny maps where you could engage in multiplayer player-on-player missions (or "quests" if you will), and contribute to a persistant war effort and gain control of assets and the like... I would suddenly be very interested.

The game design is very poor, all the graphics are reminiscent of games made 8 years earlier (seriously, those terrible textures in the last 2 COD MW games were atrocious on next-gen consoles).

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 10:32PM (Unverified) said

I will never understand COD's popularity. Bought 4 and was shocked to see the amount of chaos every bloody match had in. Sniping was absolute trash. Nades flying everywhere. Respawn points being the dumbest design decision ever.

BF2 still is the gaming heaven for people who actually want to see what or who they're shooting at and play in some real, giant-sized maps with endless gameplay strategies.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 8:10AM (Unverified) said

Pffft. Someone needs to tell Kotick that 2003 is on the other line and it wants its gameplay back.