Posted: Jun 20th 2010 12:33PM mode7overworld said

My first character is just about to hit Field of the Dead, too. I'd probably be heading there now, actually, if it weren't so difficult to find groups for Sanctum of Burning Souls. I'd like to get some shiny new armor that isn't brown or silver kilts before I head back into the wild.

Do you have any suggestions for improving your chances in AoC's LFG, or finding a guild that's "The Right Fit"? There seem to be some in-game systems for both, but they also act pretty janky in the few minutes I've tried using them.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 2:19PM (Unverified) said

Cameron, I tried initially to find a guild by searching on the official forums in the guild listings section on my server. I did find a guild, but shortly afterwards found it was not for me, so I just looked in game. I was ganked a few times by a skilled assassin, and after having a conversation with him, I found out we were like-minded, both in personality and with what we searched for in a guild, and I asked if his guild needed players. He quickly invited me and I've had a great time with a real nice bunch of players here. Helpful and friendly, and most of all, a few of them are always online.

I'd suggest talking to whoever you see around your level, and seeing if they can get you in touch with a guild officer. Ask them questions, be sociable, be friendly, be intelligent, and you'll find a decent guild.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 3:12PM Jef Reahard said

Finding a guild is pretty hit or miss, or at least that was my experience. I finally convinced some rl friends to join me after looking for several weeks. I have been a part of some good PUGs, people are always advertising for groups in LFG or global chat on my main server (Wiccana).

I also occasionally play on Cimmeria but I don't quest very much due to the gankers.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 7:30PM mode7overworld said

I'm on Wiccana, too, and spent three days logging in at primetime to squawk in LFG before I finally got a group going for Sanctum. Spamming chat channels is my least favorite MMO drudgery.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 8:36PM Jef Reahard said

I forget the level range for Sanctum, is it 30-35 or so? If that's the case, it may be hard to get groups because a lot of people in that range are probably in Khitai. I don't have much issue getting PUGs in FotD and the E-Mountains during eastern prime time most nights.

Could've just been lucky I guess.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 12:56PM (Unverified) said

Jef, nice write-up. Lovin' this column. I have a few questions for you.

What resolution do you play at and on what size screen(if that screenshot is in fact yours)? The UI is nice and small, giving you a huge view window. I play at 1920x1080 with Dark UI as my interface. I have a lot of room but you have more.

What server are you on, if you don't mind answering?

I thought it might be worth mentioning for those on PVP servers that FoTD is where (at least me, personally) players might get their first real taste of the brutal and unforgiving PVP element of the game. Connal's Valley was more of a gank-fest to me, and I didn't really stand a chance against the packs of 'alt's' who roamed there just to destroy the lone solo players, mostly just learning their classes, and usually pretty underpowered against lopsided odds.

In FoTD, my Barbarian was coming into his own, as far as technique and gear, and I was able to more handily fend off would-be gankers in this zone, while building self-confidence and learning the ropes of the PVP system. It was easier to find a partner or small group of like-minded players here, and it always seemed like a populated zone. It's also where I started to accumulate enough gold to buy blues off the trader, and a bunch of the quest rewards are phenomenal for quests that are easily soloable. All-in-all, was a fun time and memorable place to spend nearly 10 levels on my journey.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 3:14PM Jef Reahard said

On my Cimmerian ranger, the PvP started pretty early in Conall's Valley. By the time I got to FotD I was used to being ganked while soloing. Honestly though I tend to play on Wiccana more often, as that's where my guild is.

That is a screenshot from one of my Tord's tomb runs. I run at 2560x1600 resolution (30" Apple monitor). My interface is stock except for the BottomBars addition from Curse. May look into some other interfaces at some point, but all I really wanted were the extra hotbar slots.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 10:27PM Lateris said

I always find that the best way to look for a group is in global chat. What server are you on? What kind if guild are you looking for? You can post in the official forums when looking for a guild and specify what you want. Do you want ventrilo or team speak? Do you raid? Are you a casual player?

Jeff-I loved the field of the dead. Just wait until the next area and you get to play in the snow. I also tried the mini pvp games. It was a ton of fun.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 1:09PM Samael said

Jef, the last column you wrote is the reason I have started to read your column. It is very interesting and will help me when I get to actually spend some time with AoC, but that will not be before August.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 3:17PM Jef Reahard said

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it, and hope to see in game soon.

Cheers.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 5:37PM Graill440 said

This game has great graphics and up to tier 3 crafting was doing fine in my eyes. However after a certain stage the game is group and guild only, a pass for a game in my eyes.

catering to only specific gameplay types is never good for a title.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 6:22PM (Unverified) said

Obviously, we're not playin the same game. 1-80 is completely soloable. Khitai is mostly soloable. The only things you can't solo at your own level are raid dungeons and "EPIC" mobs, which is pretty much like every other mmo out there, and the way it should be. As far as needing a guild for higher crafting, yeah so? Join a laid back guild with the crafting equipment setup you need and knock yourself out. Being in a guild does not force you to group.

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 6:34AM (Unverified) said

Great column and great work. Cheers.

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 5:43PM Faryon said

Great colomn.
I just hit lvl 80 with my first char a couple of days ago, and so far I love Khitai and all it's wonders. I especially like the factions so I got this idea that I would try to get some cool factiongear as soon as possible.. too bad that's not really an option for casual players atm since the Mark of Acclaim cost on the pieces are totally whacked compared to how many marks I can get by doing quests.. When I hit rank 1 (Walker) for the Hyrkanians and went to check their vendor I can honestly say I cried a little inside since the armorpieces I could buy cost 180 Acclaim marks EACH...
To put this into perspective for those of you that haven't reach Khitai/don't play AoC: You get 1-2 Marks of Acclaim per faction quest, so you would need to do on average 120 faction quests to afford 1 piece of armor. To make this even worse: The zone only has like 3 or 4 faction quests, and after you have delivered one you need to wait a certain period of time before you can accept it again so you can't just farm the easiest/fastest quest.. Funcom has said that they are aware of the insanity of it, but it looks like it's not going to be dealt with until 2.1 or something..

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 5:52PM Faryon said

Oh, and the Epic armor/weapons you can buy at higher ranks cost like 980 Marks of Acclaim.. that means on average 654 faction quests to get 1 epic piece.
I love AoC to death atm, but the extreme grinding might cause be to go completly insane by the end of this summer.

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous