Posted: Jun 19th 2010 12:15PM Tuza said

I'm not taking the benchmark too seriously at the moment...it doesn't support SLI and is sponsered by Nvidia, and although when I run it on LOW (my monitor doesn't support the HIGH resolution...) I only get around 3000, which, according to SE, will let me play the game but i'll have to turn some settings down...I had a solid framerate throughout the benchmark, and although I cannot say why (NDA NDA NDA) I know the alpha probably would run fine on my setup.

I think you should use your head when watching the benchmark, and if it is obviously struggling, then maybe you need an upgrade, but deciding if an upgrade is needed when your score is above 2000 may be more of a gray area.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 1:41PM Wisdomandlore said

I think SE is looking to launch XIV near simultaneously. The beta has included both NA and JP players, unlike the beta for XI, which was a glorified exercise in proofreading. Also, the English translation seems to be coming along at a fair clip. I think SE could surprise us and launch XIV this holiday, or maybe Q1 2011.

It's good that they aren't going to wait a year or more to launch it on the other side of the sea, because that staggered launch helped fuel the NA/JP divide, especially among the top linkshells. For the first year or two, many NA players thought it was unfair JP players had such a huge head start, and were thus able to keep a lot of the NM spawn timers firmly in JP time.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 3:28PM (Unverified) said

My biggest concern about FF14 is a hardware concern.
My computer apparently isn't up to snuff for it. (got a 1000 score)
and I'm uncertain on if I should upgrade it or buy a PS3. I don't know what score equivilant the PS3 got on it.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 3:46PM Wisdomandlore said

I saw some estimates that the PS3 would score about 300-3500, but it will only run at 720p.

It would be interesting if PS3 version included Move support. I could see playing with a keyboard and using the move as the mouse input.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 4:08PM breezer said

I thought SE was smarter than to make an mmo with insanely high system requirements but it seems like that's what we're getting. Though I suppose it's too early to tell for sure.

I'm looking at buying a ps3 for this game which is ridiculous imo.

High requirements hurt mmos. They reduce the "massively" aspect, and just put ppl off in general (ie- "how dare this game tell me my brand new $5000 machine isn't good enough!") Which is what's happening with this benchmark. Maybe it was released too early, idk but mistakes have been made somewhere.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 10:18PM Mevan said

When Final Fantasy XI was released 8 years ago its graphics were considered to be too high for the time and 8 years later the game still looks great. It's not about making a game that has out of control graphics right off.. For SE it's an investment in the future of the MMO.

Like it was mentioned before, keep in mind that this benchmark was created by Nvidia and will obviosly try to push the results in their favor. I got a score of 3400 with a system that deserves higher. But for me the proof was in the framerate and when it comes to that, I killed.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 4:28PM Egobrane said

What's with people crying about huge system requirements? I got a 3k on the benchmark with a 350$ computer.

90$ 9800GT
60$ core 2 duo 2.5GHz OC'd to 3.1GHz
55$ 2GB RAM
40$ LGA 775 G41T-M 2.0 motherboard
50$ 500W thermaltake PSU
60$ 500GB caviar green HDD
15$ DVD-R drive

This was bought nearly a year ago, as well.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 12:16AM (Unverified) said

The benchmark tool is flawed then since I have 4GB of Ram, 2.8Ghz Athlon II OCed to 3.2ghz, and a 4890 slightly OCed and it still got me 2k

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 4:34PM Blancmanche said

There comes a point where you have to decide where to draw the line with older hardware. Especially for a game that is going to be released on both PS3 and PC, it had better be at least -possible- for the PC version to look as good as the PS3 or else legions of PC players will be very disappointed and very angry. Likewise, the game is expected to be played for many years to come, so it is little wonder that SE is leaning more toward higher system requirements.

I don't think anyone expects a next-gen MMO to run on older hardware. That said, I'm sure there will be tons of settings to adjust in the retail version that will make the game accessible to those with mid-range hardware. And mid-range doesn't mean an e-machine from early 2001 designed for Windows ME (like the kind they use for production machines at my job).

On another topic, it's been said to death, but race has little to no impact on a job in the right hands. Some combinations are -easier- than others, it is true, but anything works if you know what you're doing. The only people who say Galka can't mage or Taru can't tank are the hardcore min/maxers, and they're all inbred sub-humans anyway, so their opinions don't matter.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 5:40PM (Unverified) said

FYI largely ignore the number at the end of your benchmark test. Run the test and watch for stutters,stops and any noticeable lag. If you experience slow down then you need to upgrade. If the benchmark test ran smoothly but you get a score of 1000 the test didn't score your hardware correctly.

Also the final score may reflect times of huge area congestion. For those moments when spell particle effects are flying around, weapon actions are being taken and PC/NPC, and mob models are littered everywhere. Those times do not occur except in certain situations. You'll be fine.

I'll use the original FFXI benchmark for example. 7 years ago I ran the FFXI benchmark on my first PC, it got a pretty crap score, in the range of you can play game at low-mid settings. I bought the game anyways w/o upgrading. To my surprise all i had to do was turn advanced shadows offs. So shadows appeared as blobs instead projected silhouettes. Everything else was to the max settings. As I got involved in end game events (dynamis, and 18 man raids in sky) i started to experience some slow down. This was helped by-in-large from reducing settings further turing off outside effects, turing off shadows ect ect. But for everyday playing I had no problem playing the game on my PC that the bench said I would need to turn things waaaay down to play.

Thats how I feel about the FFXIV benchmark. If you can experience the test w/o noticeable slow down but a low score, you'll be able to experience normal everyday play w/o much tinkering. If you get involved in huge battles, expect to turn stuff down. (this is probably true with those how got high scores as well)

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 9:17PM Khalus said

Posted this elsewhere after another player tested this theory:

Hrm...didn't think to try running Fraps and see what FPS I was getting. For the most part my PC held a consistent 46-54fps during the bulk of the Benchmark, and then a few times during the initial scenes when the masses of monsters appeared on deck and came over the edge of the bost I saw my FPS drop to between 32-37, but went right back up to an avg of 50. There were even a few moments I saw my FPS jump as high as 74-83.

So yeah its definite that this Benchmark is tooled for a constant 60fps which is prolly why so many gamers PCs are hitting really low numbers on their scale. FFXI runs at a capped 30fps and I've been more than happy wth that for years and besides the human eye can only keep track of 60fps anyway, so as long as I'm getting at least 30fps and up to 54fps I'm more than happy with my score. Course once I upgrade to the GTX 480 later this year, I'm expecting at least another 1300-1700 points...

My PC:

AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 3.2
ASUS 790X MB
nVidia GTX 275 896mb ---upgrading later this yr to---> nVidia GTX 480 1536mb
40" Proscan HDTV running in 1600*1200
8GB AData DDR3 1600 RAM
Antec 750w PS
Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD ~ Am now considering getting an SSD just for FFXIV!
SpinQ VT fan/heatsink

Then shortly after we discovered this 60fps with the Benchmark, which many seem to be ignoring this fact, Tanaka had this to say in one of the interviews at E3:

What will the recommended specifications for the finished Windows version be?

Tanaka: First we will announce specs for beta. Right now graphics boards, as opposed to CPUs, are causing bottlenecking, so we would like to optimize that more.

So chances are the Benchmark is also experiencing GPU issues as of right now and hopefully we'll get an updated version before launch and get a real reading!

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 2:35PM (Unverified) said

I'm very excited for FFXIV, but even with my year old computer I got the worst score I've seen online so far! With a AMD 9150e Quad-Core Processor, 4GB Ram and a 256 ATI Radeon 3200 video card I scored a whopping 150. not 1500, 150. The benchmark was barely watchable.I'm pretty sure my video card is crap, it was the only thing i didn't upgrade when i got the new computer hehe, I was planning on getting one of those nice 3d video cards anyway.

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 4:42PM (Unverified) said

i beat you on that lower score, i score 59!

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM