Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:16AM Arkanaloth said

Not anymore... to be honest I've been let down by cinematics and machinima. EVE is a prime example.. without a doubt some of the best cinematics and machinima I've ever seen, so I gave the game a try no less than 3 times and found it to incredibly boring and slow. (no offense to you EVE'ers but it's just not my thing). Ridiculously pretty space vistas to see but...

Anyway, as I was saying, once upon a time a stunning cinematic would have convinced me to give the game a try but now, no. I see them now and think "Wow their cinematic team is really good... wonder if there are any game-play videos?"

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 9:16AM Matix said

I'll only add here that cinematics don't get me to buy a game by itself.

But aside from gameplay mechanics, you actually have to have something to do in game. Cinematics show me a game's creative team is serious about the game world. While I haven't enjoyed every game with a good cinematic, the games that regularly employ them have consistent content updates and many in-game things going on.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 10:01AM (Unverified) said

Cinematics shown before a game is released only goes to show me that the devs are not confident about showing gameplay videos. I hate those. I don't mind and actually quite enjoy cinematics in a game I'm playing.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:28AM Monkey D Luffy said

Thing is no one likes EVE, the player base consists of masochists.
l
l l
l
l
l
(lol)

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:21AM Tom in VA said

Ummm, to answer your questions, yes, sometimes. WoW cinematics are quite effective (the original cinematic particularly, with the dwarf hunter approaching Ironforge -- love that one!), as are the cinematics for Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR.

Cinematics also make me want to Avoid Game At All Costs occasionally, e.g., the cinematics for Aion and most (if not all) F2Ps.

And sometimes cinematics just flat out amuse me -- but still make me want to Avoid Game At All Costs, e.g., Warhammer Online.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 12:24PM BigAndShiny said

GW2 isn't free to play. It is retail, not download for free, and just happens to have no subscription or micro transactions.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:11PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Honestly, how could you tote the WoW cinematics then dog the War cinematic just because its known now the game has utterly failed at its attempt to give justice to the awesome Warhammer IP. Furthermore, the War cinematic was actually very intriguing, and I would say it beats any cinematic blizzard ever put out. You sir are a noob.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:16PM alzeer said

at jh
GW1 had micro transactions shop , its very small but exist nevertheless
and i read GW2 will have same model (didnt mention micro transactions but said will follow GW1 model)

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:37PM Tom in VA said

@Tempes

--GW2 is not F2P, it is really a hybrid business model sort of game. Anyway, it had great cinematics, as I stated. Did you actually read the post?

--I wasn't dissing F2P games, just most of the cinematics that go with them. The games themselves may be fine; the cinematics (most of the ones I've seen, anyway) make them look extremely unappealing and indistinguishable.

@Izkimar
--I said I liked BOTH the WoW and the WO cinematics; the latter cinematic, however, was very comical and PvP oriented, both of which were reasons I was turned off from trying the game, regardless of its merits or lack thereof. I never said anything about the quality (or lack thereof) of WO. That really wasn't a deciding factor for me.

Just a reminder, folks, the OP question to which I was responding was regarding whether cinematics influenced you to try (or stay away from) a particular MMO.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 9:45PM (Unverified) said

Warhammer's cinematics were much better than the game.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:31AM GenericPerson said

I'm a big fan of cinematics, but in moderation. The first thing people should see is a cinematic that gives a brief glimpse of the storyline and gets the PR machine rolling. After that give me gameplay footage, give me informative videos.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

nope, cinematics don't mean frak to me. I perfectly know they're just excellent CGI montage (in Swtor) which can or cannot reflect how a game will definitely play

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:26AM Daverator said

Agreed, cinematics show NOTHING of the actual game, so doesn't mean much. It might let you know about the game setting, but thats about it. And if your a fan of the IP it might get you excited. But for me, warhammer 40ks brief footage showing the UI actually up and a guy frantically shooting was far more exciting than all the machima battle scenes

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:44AM SiML said

Blur Studios do fantastic cinematics for a great many games studios, you've only gotta youtube their name and look at their latest showreel to see that.

Do FMV titles give a false impression of gameplay?.... of course not!, they are FMV !, No one buys a title going on those before checking out actual gameplay, or at least a review - do they?... seriously?. *astonished expression*
These cinematics exist to fire your imagination and get you stoked about the potential of the game IP and what is possible with the scope of it.

The only reason this is of particular issue in this case with Bioware is that SwToR is following the Mass Effect titles which where of such quality that it WAS hard to tell cinematic FMV from the moral choices RPG dialogue gameplay.

Maybe in the future when gameplay is indistinguishable from cutscenes this will be an issue in teasers & trailers with regards to FMV, but gameplay graphics aren't that good yet. Anyone buying a game expecting it to look like the FMV would be being a little naive.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:51AM TheGreatMachine said

They did in the 90s.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:55AM (Unverified) said

The funny thing is, the star wars trailer looks better than the movies in the way it depicts Jedis / Siths and their fights.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 10:55AM (Unverified) said

And george Lucas Isn't directing it.
It helps a bit.
...
A lot.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 9:17AM (Unverified) said

Money spent on CGI trailers is money not spent on making a better game. But they do seem to sell boxes. When the above mentioned SWTOR trailer was put up I checked some of the more general gaming sites and they were full of, "OMG, the game is the greatest thing ever, look at those graphics! I'm ordering it right now!"

So apparently a lot of people do indeed seem to think the game will look and play like the CGI cinematics.

For me it just makes a game look worse if the actual game play graphics aren't top notch. For instance, after seeing the recent SWTOR trailer and then watching the actual game footage, it just made it really stand out how poor the game play animation is and how ugly the character faces are. Would I have had that opinion if I just hadn't watched the cinematic? I don't know, but the contrast between them really made the game footage seem pretty lame.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 9:25AM Bartlebe said

Surely you jest? That Star Wars cinematic had fan boys creaming their bloomers.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 9:26AM (Unverified) said

I enjoy cinematics if they are used to enhance the game's story. They are not any kind of deciding factor on whether or not I purchase a title.

WoW Archivist: Epics