Posted: Jun 19th 2010 8:50AM Surelle said

Sera,

Is the fighting real-time combat or turn-based? Star Wars seems to cry out for "real time" battles, but of course, server reaction time in a massively multiplayer setting usually prohibits this.

Thanks for the hands-on report. The only reason so many people are making a long-term judgment based on it is because yours is one of the first real reports they've seen on the game. Take it as a compliment to yourself and Massively for getting cutting-edge information out to people ASAP. :) As more information is released about the game, people will probably chill out some.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:38AM Seraphina Brennan said

Real-time combat with cooldowns on abilities. Very much like WoW, where you activate abilities in real-time and let them play out.

~Sera

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:45PM (Unverified) said

With the millions of dollars being poured into this game, who expected Bioware to make risky design choices?

I anticipate that this will be a fun, rock-solid, super-polished WoW-styled MMO. And I think I just might be able to get down with that.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:23AM (Unverified) said

I am so tired of all the people saying things about the target/auto/ability way of gameplay. You constantly complain but don't contribute. If you haverhesegreat ideas to make the genre so much better, why not throw those ideas out there? Or is it easier to complain until someone else figures out what you want for you?

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:37AM Seraphina Brennan said

Oh, I have plenty of ideas. I just would like to save them and use them some day in a game, rather than putting them out there and have someone take them. :3

However, with what I saw in SWTOR, I liked it. You don't have to change everything to get a good game.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 5:59PM (Unverified) said

I am most certainly not saying this about anyone with actual ambitions to enter the game development arena. Of course in that situation you want to keep your ideas close to increase your return on investment so to speak. I am mainly referring to the huge number of people that say these things yet don't plan on any type of game career.

Game developers will never know what the people want if they just complain about a situation without giving ideas on how they think it should be fixed. Look at WoW for instance with the addon situation. How many of the ui addons have been adopted directly into the WoW ui because so many people supported the functionality that each one may have added. If people always just said "Come on Blizz your unit frames suck monkey nuts" and left it at that, it would take forever for things to change.

Just saying we need more CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. And for the record I still like the original SWG combat queue which I don't think has been done the same since, so there is definitely room for change.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:58AM Kinau said

Its so rare these days to read an article which is frank, to the point and doesnt try to sugar-coat uncomfortable truths. Sera is becoming my favourite writer on Massively. Keep up the good work ;)

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 1:26PM KorbenDallas said

It's WoW with Light-Sabers. Move along.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 4:26PM DraneceusRex said

Sera pretty much summed up my thoughts for the game while scouring E3 coverage, except for one thing:

Was anyone hoping for graphics along the line of Mass Effect or Dragon Age? The "clone wars cartoony" feel really turns me off.

Oh and so did watching a Jedi healbot a trooper, with a lightsaber casually held in her hand.....(G4 group demo coverage).

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 7:07PM karnisov said

the graphics probably have something to do with the Hero engine they are using for TOR.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 7:35PM DevilSei said

Yeah, I'm not much in agreement with the stylized graphics, the Clone Wars series is alright, but not nearly my favorite (though the style was based off the Genndy Tartakovsky-made series which I loved). But its more familiar to the current generation, and unlike more realistically styled graphics, age well and scale well with different specs of computers.

And that last part is most important, it'll work on more computers, but if you have a high-end one (like they were demoing the game on) it looks great, especially in the case of the world they showed during the Inquisitor intro.

And I saw that coverage as well! I wouldn't call her a healbot though, the Trooper acting as a tank almost died, healbots don't let that happen =P

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

yeahh...well...if it plays like wow while still having the content all mmorpg's need to have to be successful, the game will do well

i'm sorry but those of you saying they want something new and fresh in terms of gameplay mechanics are actually full of it. there are a ton of mmorpg's out there with new gameplay mechanics, and they are all dying. none of them have the subs to keep going. none of t hem have the subs to give you a sense of a huge, thriving community

because as players in the west, we know what we like. we know what we want. we want community and we want a working game. you cant deviate from the holy trinity without making the game too easy and soloable, which in turn removes any need for community. i could gon a MASSIVE rant on what i've seen in MUD and MMORPG since i first logged into a MUD in 1993 but suffice it to say i will still be in SW:TOR as it will be THE first sci fi based mmorpg to not feature the brutal, anti-social pvp they've all had before now. 20 years of fantasy - i need something different even if it's just the wrapping.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 6:14PM (Unverified) said

another awful write up by a blogger who cant get even some facts right, some clarification:

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 8:32PM (Unverified) said

Sara,

Thanks for the review. We all know this is your opinion and most will take it with a grain of salt like anyone else's opinion, but still it is valued.

I wasnt going to comment until I saw your reply on Page 3...
If you boil it down far enough every class in WoW can be called a Rogue clone.

By your paradigm, every class operates by utilizing energy (rage or mana) to execute painful attacks from a stationary state. If this were not so, then we could kite mobs in Wow and we cannot. If you think you dont have to be stationary to cast, then take a step next time you attack something and you will either be interrupted, you will step behind the mob or both.

For melee classes, you can turn but not step forward or you will be behind the mob, this could also be called stationary. Besides pulling, most tanks are stationary when they attack, thankful.
I dont want to chase a tank around while I try to heal or dps his mob. Either way, if he is on the move then he isnt attacking or gaining rage so it still fits in you paradigm for rogues

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 10:45PM (Unverified) said

Great review, and appreciate the honest opinion. I guess there's just one thing I don't understand from the various reviews out there, and it's this constant 'it doesn't reinvent the wheel' mantra. Why does it have to? Seriously I don't get it, why does the entire way we've come to play and enjoy and MMORPG need to change in order for people to be happy?

I read a lot about how happy journalists are with Tera because it changes the combat into a more action arientated approach, and it's like because it's different it's great. But I really have no desire to play an MMO in that fashion. I love the classic style of MMO, and don't WANT it to be any different. No more than I want an FPS to have movement controlled with the mouse and aiming with WASD.

It's for that reason that I know I'm going to love this game. Gold plating on the classic formula is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 8:04PM (Unverified) said

I dont really care that this is an mmo, the fact that its Star Wars and it has a real story to drive me through the game is all I really care about... And its Bioware!!!