Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:13PM Thac0 said

"So, in short, don't get yourself super hyped about this game. It's not amazingly innovative or a complete genre changer. It's not re-inventing the wheel, but it is taking that wheel and giving it the gold plating it needs."

WOW thats probably the most honest review of SWTOR you'll ever read. Everyone is so jazzed and hyped for this that they drool drool drool. I'm really happy to see someone write something reasonable not stating it will bring the rapture.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 7:38PM Saker said

Honest reviews are good, I like honesty. I come to sites like this for honesty, it's good to see. I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary. Not seeing that really out there at all in development, wish I was seeing it, but the money-men are so afraid to try anything different... Indies are really the only place I have any expectations of anything different in the near-ish future.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 1:09AM Rayko said

Telling people to not get super hyped about this game because it is not completely innovative , in my opinion, assumes you are speaking to only MMO fans, not MMO and Star Wars fans. I am a huge fan of both, so thanks for the suggestion, but I will remain super hyped.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:09AM J Brad Hicks said

Yeah, that last paragraph is super-important, because so much hype has built up around this game, that Ghod Himself couldn't code a game that would live up to it. If Bioware doesn't start managing peoples' expectations back down a notch or two, they're going to end up with a game that may well walk on water and cure cancer, and after 2 weeks everybody will unsubscribe because the (probably actually unbuildable) game they imagined was cooler.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 7:27PM DevilSei said

I agree Ray, I'm not expecting this MMO to be some hugely revolutionary game, I've seen the gameplay from E3, and as someone who has grown up and watched and loved the Star Wars franchise (not enough to be insane about it, but I have my fair share of toy lightsabers) I wasn't disappointed. While I'm not too certain about the graphical style they show, the world they showed (Sith Inquisitor) looked great.

They are using a well-built formula, and are adding in their own tweaks and ideas (the conversation system) on top of voice acting. And on that last note, I will make a Bounty Hunter, just because I want an awesome-sounding character, and no voice is cooler than Steven Blums.

Posted: Sep 14th 2010 8:15PM Pagan said

Great writeup Sera. I spent many hours at PAX on Swtor. I agree this may not be a WoW killer. But I do believe for KOTOR fans this game will be the King of all MMOs. That's the impression I left PAX with. KOTOR Rapture.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:14PM Keen and Graev said

Playings like a standard MMO (aka WoW)? Awesome.

Zoning instant? Awesome.

Not reinventing the wheel just to be different, but instead using what works? Awesome.

Not if I can find out about how much of the world is "open" vs. how much is instanced then I'll be happy.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:18PM Keen and Graev said

• Half a heart
Spelling errors abound... sheesh.

Playings = Plays

Not if I can = Now if I can.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:25PM CCon99 said

I agree, one of the things I'm dying to learn is how open world the game is. Are the worlds huge? Can you actually pick a spot on the horizon and go explore it? Or are planets just a tiny city region you're supposed to play in, with walls that enclose you in a small area?

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:35PM Seraphina Brennan said

Of the map I saw, I only got to explore a tiny part of it for this quest. The military base in question was very close, but it was just one part of a large map.

The only instanced areas seem to be tiny spots where quest givers are, but not all quest givers are in instances -- just the ones that truly need to be there, if you get my drift.

The world seems to be quite open and explorable. I was running along side the other hands-on users as I moved about the world. I felt a little constrained, but not the bad sort of constrained... more like the sort where you feel easily directed. It feels big/is big but still allows you to understand where you are and where you should be going.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:58PM CCon99 said

Thanks Sera, that's more good news to hear!

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:17PM CCon99 said

I'm sure the getting shot through cover was just a bug, they probably haven't fully coded the cover feature or static objects yet. No way I see that feature launching like that, it defeats the whole purpose of adding a cover feature. It would be like WoW releasing a Rogue that NPC's could see in stealth mode 20 yards away.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:21PM Seraphina Brennan said

That's my take on it too. I'm sure it will be cleaned up before launch. This IS a beta version, after all.

~Sera

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 8:30PM Lethality said

I don't think it's a bug, that's the way it's supposed to work. It simply gives you a defensive bonus in the form of a buff, not immunity.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 11:34AM Seraphina Brennan said

I'm talking about the animation and the blaster bolts homing to you while in cover. They literally pierce the walls and still shoot you while you stand behind the wall. I'm not referring to the damage at all. The damage is fine. :D

Posted: Jun 22nd 2010 8:53PM (Unverified) said

I'm not super familiar with how the cover system works, but are you actually visible to the NPCs shooting at you? I understand that it only gives you a defensive bonus, but is the only way for the shot to hit you for it to go through the wall? If while in cover you are completely hidden unless you are shooting, I think we all need to give the developers a break. If shots just flew over your head and still did damage to you it wouldn't make any sense either.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 10:33PM Zeeth said

I found it quite funny to compare cover to stealth because the mechanics are similar, you could just as easily compare it to a enraged warrior who gets different skills depending on his stance but then you go as far as to say you think it should make people stop firing at you, well might as well call it stationary stealth then? If you take cover you tend to take less damage.

Did the combat look revolutionary? No. Did it look fun? Yeah sure. Its not like you can pull new class mechanics out of thin air, hell half of WoW classes are just branch offs of Ever Quest's.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:28PM (Unverified) said

I wonder if that "getting hit while in cover" thing was just a gameplay quirk to prevent AFKing while in cover. Certainly such behavior needs to be addressed, though I'm sure the OP would prefer some other mechanic such as the mobs moving to your blind side (which requires advanced AI).

Another possibility, similar to what CCon99 said, is that it was just a server/client hiccup. That's just a technical fact of life with these games.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:35PM (Unverified) said

Did the characters look as "cartoony" as the screenshots they have been posting? I am still hoping they tighten that up for a more realistic look like they had in KOTOR.

I also hope that's the last comparison to WoW. This is not a fantasy game and there is also a homogenization of UI's. They are all going to have health/power bars, maps, buffs, abilities, etc... I was a bit turned off when the comparison was between the two games.

Still, this game is going to be fantastic merely based on what game features they have released thus far.

Can't wait!

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 5:36PM Dandmcd said

It seems they are designing the gameplay to make it easy for WoW players and other MMO fans to easily make the move over to their game. I think that's perfectly ok, as long as the companion system and classes feel solid and unique, and they stick to their word of preventing the trinity dps/tank/healer style of gameplay.

What will be most important to this games success is the 4th pillar of story being all they hype it up to be, and that the content is open, seamless, and enjoyable from level 1 all the way through tons of end game content. Also a good crafting system and PvP could be a huge boost. If they fail on that, expect everyone to head right back to WoW or other MMO's. A lot of people like me are looking for a new MMO to explore, and not playing SWTOR just because we are fans of the movies.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014