Posted: Jun 18th 2010 7:33PM wondersmith said

Thanks for the great coverage on this. I recently quit Eve Online because CCP seems increasingly disinterested in high-sec-mission-running-lone-wolf-carebears like me--and I do not like being scanned out and having my salvage and loot stolen. Instanced soloable missions sound great to me!

I was afraid this game had been canceled when Larry Everett wrote yesterday, "And if you're looking for, more specifically, a free-to-play sci-fi MMO, you will find but one game, and that game is Taikodom, the Brazilian-born space-action game." Huh???

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 7:53PM Krystalle Voecks said

I suspect he may have meant currently available. Taikodom is openly playable, although only partially translated at the moment.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 9:02PM wondersmith said

Hmmmm... Both the English and Portugese versions of the Taikodom website seem to say that even *closed* beta hasn't started yet. Unless I'm missing something, Black Prophecy is currently as "openly playable" as Taikodom. :)

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:46AM Krystalle Voecks said

Hmm, they've changed the .com site since the last time I looked at it.

That said, I don't want to get too far off-topic, but the client on my machine is connecting to the Brazilian servers, which appear to be online. Don't ask me why, as I had no idea they'd pulled the downloader until you said that.

And now, returning everyone to Black Prophecy chatter, already in progress!

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 10:17PM (Unverified) said

thanks for the info on this, and i'm pretty excited to hear more as it becomes available. the combat system as described sounds very intriguing, which only makes sense as it seems this will be the major draw of this game. i'm concerned that these "largely instanced" missions will make the game feel a bit less like an MMO (which has been a complaint regarding STO), but the move to a ftp model will likely curb the likelihood of complaints of this nature in the community. while i was interested before, i'll say now that i will definitely be trying this game out as soon as possible.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 1:25AM AlamoeJones said

This has been on my radar ever since the free to play announcement. I don't suppose they mentioned a release date/window??

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 2:48AM Krystalle Voecks said

They're aiming for a November 2010 launch.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 3:32AM CaseyTheBrash said

The F2P switch put me off but I may try it regardless. I've been waiting for this to come down the pipe for years and was giddy as a schoolgirl until the other shoe dropped. My F2P bias aside I'll give it a spin. Although I was hoping for capital ships to make a showing in this and JGE. Beggars/choosers I suppose.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 10:25AM dudemanjac said

This and JGE are going to be in stiff competition, but only if they get the free to play right. It's going to be a balancing act, but if they can keep their promise, JGE may have to look out.

You have to weigh a couple of things. This will be instanced like CoH CoV, but the pvp area is going to be persistant and is going to mean something. JGE is completely un-instanced, but I have yet to find out if the pvp will be more than just fun and danger. BP lets you build bases that can be attacked by rival clans, no such thing in JGE. BP is free, and that will make it easy for some to overlook some of its shortcomings. JGE has yet to announce, but I would bet it's pay.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 7:32AM (Unverified) said

IS JGE even alive....? that game has no news for months... and apart from some small bits in its community forum the main site has been sending out static for quite a while... i wished for JGE but BP seems like its going to be online within the year... hopefully the hype is well deserved... cause i am sick of elves, magic, and mana

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 11:07AM dudemanjac said

Well since E3 and a little bit before, the site has been back in full swing. There are two gameplay vids out and a trailer for one of the factions.

Posted: Jun 20th 2010 12:04PM Its Utakata stupid said

Krystalle Voecks mentioned:

"That said, there's also a weight system in play here, so if you plug in a lot of heavy items, your ship will be heavier, and thus will travel more slowly."

I presume they mean more massive,...since we're talking about zero gravity environments with no atmospheric drag here. :)

Posted: Jul 5th 2010 9:53PM godlyhalo said

I may be biased towards EVE, but BP really should take more of the things that EVE has done to make PVP so enjoyable. I'm hoping that BP isn't another game where once you get to max level, there is only a very few slot layouts to choose from that are actually effective. EVE has done this better than any game I have ever played, 95% of ships can fulfill some sort of role and have their uses.

I'm also curious about the risks involved with PVE and PVP. When your ship goes pop, does it actually go pop? Or is it somehow magically re spawned for you. Once someone acquires the top end stuff, is there some sort of mechanic for loosing that stuff? I've always liked how in EVE, your ship was going to blow up eventually, it made you seriously think about what you were going to do and gave you reason not to buy the most expensive stuff possible.

My opinion on BP being FTP is neutral right now. From what the dev's have been saying, the cash shop does not intend to be game breaking. I support this idea, someone with more cash shouldn't be entitled to have the best stuff when a person who works for their gear can only get crappy stuff in comparison. FTP gets a bad rap because there are so many games out there that have made a mockery of the model.