Posted: Jun 17th 2010 1:59PM Stormwaltz said

Sadly, I think STO's days were numbered without any competition. It's a decent casual time-waster, but not the sort of MMG you commit your life to.

But I don't see any direct competition to the niche STO is filling. EVE is a economy-driven PvP warzone. Jumpgate looks like it's going to focus mainly on action PvP. Black Prophesy will straddle the line somewhere between - right now it looks like JGE's gameplay with EVE's UI. But none of those games have a ground element.

KotOR is going to be intensely devoted to the individual's story. I expect some lip service to public questing and raids, but nothing like the widespread casual PUGing in STO. I sincerely doubt there will be any space combat in KotOR. All action will be mano-a-mano on planets. The ships, as far as I can see now, are instanced housing accessible from hangers on whatever planet you're on at the moment.

BSG is a browser game. Completely different audience. It will be as much competition for STO as Runescape is for WoW.

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 2:13PM Harley Dude said

Insert "How can you kill that which is already dead?" comment here.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 11:23AM spartanthetriviumorg said

You have issues with zombies? Everyone loves zombies!!

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 3:01PM (Unverified) said

None of those games mentioned would make me consider dropping STO. Yeah, it's a solo player's game with the option of grouping, but that's why I like it.

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 3:22PM enamelizer said

STO has fans? =O

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 4:11PM VSpeck said

The biggest threat to STO is that STO isn't a very well made game.

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 4:32PM CCon99 said

Star Trek as an IP would have no problem surviving in a market with all those games. In fact a Star Trek MMO that was developed properly would likely be a leader in competition with the likely exception of SWTOR (which seems to already have WoW sized buzz around it).

The problem is Star Trek as a Cryptic product is already fighting a steep uphill battle today because of Cryptic's incompetence, they're already hurting with minimal competition and most of those listed games not available yet. They had a decent launch as far as population goes, but that quickly dried up within 2 months of release. Anyone who's logged in recently can see that their single universal server already pretty much feels like a ghost town. Sure it might feel as populated as a normal server, but keep in mind that server represents all of their players spread over instances.

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 5:52PM (Unverified) said

Do people still pvp in STO? I mean how many times can you do the same instance before you go completely mad. If your asking do any of these games threaten STO as a pvp MMO, the answer is you bet they do. JGE, Black Prophecy, SWTOR, if the development notes on these are right, they kill STO.

STO needs to move to an open pvp world where the factions are at war, and your pvp battles have meaning in that war. I don't believe STO is capable of doing this and also doesn't have any interest in it. STO is a PVE game and will shuffle along for awhile as that. If that's your bag, then you're probably not concerned about other space MMO's although I would wager SWTOR will pull loads of existing folks from STO since it seems to be appealing to both the pvp and pve crowds.

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 7:48PM Graill440 said

And what the first poster typed, Gene.

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 10:29PM DraneceusRex said

Been following E3 like a rabid dog over the last few days, and as I can't speak for the future or other players of STO, I'll just respond as a fairly happy LTS.

There are really two games on the horizon that really peak my interest:
SW:tOR and 40k.

With Old Republic I have to say I am a little luke-warm about the demo gameplay and graphics.

I played WoW for 4 years, and I really can't see myself getting too much into another game with cartoonish, stylized graphics. I was really hoping for realism on a DA:O/Mass Effect scale for character models.

I was also looking for a game that offered more then the Holy Trinity, but the group gameplay on G4's Demo had a Jedi Consular healboting a trooper, with a lightsaber casually held in hand? Come on Bioware....we really want more then that. Forget it's mind blowing cinematic trailers (Hope is amazing btw). Beyond voice acting, and a cool quest interface, same ol' same ol' is all I'm seeing from Old Republic.

Hope they have space combat in at launch, because that has the potential to make me change my mind totally and completely about the game. I grew up wanting to pilot a Xwing just as much as I wanted Wesley to have a transporter accident and be able to take his place at the Conn of 1701-D.

As for 40k, been a fanatic about the IP and miniature game for 15 years now (wow I feel old). It could turn out to be the equivalent of Cryptic's bastard child (sarcasm for the Cryptic haters here), but I can say with faith, with only a glance at the game through the new trailer, that I will play and stick to that MMO until it dies.

Lucky my LTS for STO will have payed for itself by the time it's out in 2013. Regardless, I'm sure I still log on and take my Sovereign out for a spin every once in a while.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 4:44AM Pan1 said

hahaha, burn baby burn.

I'm sorry but my personal opinion is that Cryptic's STO is a disgrace.

As a mmo player and as someone who enjoys Trek I honestly do not see any redeeming qaulities in that game. It fails to be a proper mmo and it fails to capture the Trek feeling.

Regardless of how you feel you lone freak who plays STO. Enjoy it.
But the large portion of the community has cast its vote on cryptic.

Cryptic is riding on a verrrrry small wave of momentum.
CCP is not competition for STO. Neither is Jumpgate or Black Prophecy.
Though ToR most surely is.

I am sorry, all I can say to cryptic and I say it with passion is:
Burn baby, Burn.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 11:21AM spartanthetriviumorg said

I fully expect SW:TOR to become the king of SciFi when released simpyl because it is a BW title - 'nuff said.

Cryptic has about nine months left to really develop STO into something special methinks. Sadly enough since release Cryptic's marketing team as been making one blunder after another causing community fragmentation, angry players and a whole host of other issues that are pushing players away and well did I mention that SW:TOR is a BW title? Fear is justified methinks....

BTW: I'm not a SW far at all. I have been a life long ST fan and a very hardcore one at that and frankly speaking I'm very interested in SW:TOR because it is being done by BW and I really want a good SciFi title to play. Moreover many people I know are also in the same boat so to speak. We are not interested in the IP on its own merits but because of the developer and the of Cryptic's mismanagement with STO we are open to other options.

Posted: Jun 18th 2010 3:24PM Canucklehead said

I wonder if Bioware can be talked into making Star Trek: The Old Federation in a few years?