Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:17AM Kaoss said

Your grind comment worries me. I'm really looking forward to this game but if it's a grind like Aion then I'm going to be really sad :( I'll do my best to test it out massively if I get in the beta so I won't make the mistake of pre-ordering and finding out it's a POS like so many people seem to do these days

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

Aion... Grind... lol

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:53AM Kaoss said

i dont get it

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 12:22PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I lol'd quite hard. Talking about grinding then you say you'll go back to playing Aion? Comment invalid.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 12:22PM (Unverified) said

Nevermind I can't read D:

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 3:01PM Noteamini said

i actually won't mind if it's aion level of grinding, especially seeing the combat is fun. it won't be any fun if it's too easy to level up, i rather put in a little work to achieve it.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:52PM Kaoss said

Ye true, if the combats good grinding will be less of a bore, and yes I was no way saying I'd go back to Aion, hell I've never even gone to it cos everyone's told me the grind sucks.

I also agree in hoping that it's not too easy. I remember when I first played TCoS (An awesome game you guys should give it a shot) I loved it so much cos it wasn't quite as easy as WoW etc. I didn't run up to the mob click it once then sit back until it died I actually had to aim and roll around and whether I defeated the mob depended on how well I was able to do the combat.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:22AM Wisdomandlore said

The combat sounds fun, but if the combat is all that's new, I would rather play GW2 or even SW:TOR.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:33AM TheJackman said

Agree! However GW2 did not show up on the E3 and its all talk no action they did not even show off there new interface.... (interface for me is really importation! And I take it that they will not allow addons to change it).

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 12:09PM Wisdomandlore said

Anet will be showing GW2 in playable form later in the year. E3 is pricey and expensive, and most smaller companies get lost in the noise the Big 3 make. I don't blame them for not showing up.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:29AM Monkey D Luffy said

Here's a tip.
Knock the crab on it's back and attack it's weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:31AM TheJackman said

grind.... is the main problem I see with this game. Also the kills look really slow... sure combat is "fun" but I do not want to fight trash for 5 mins.....

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:33AM (Unverified) said

This is a game that is definitely on my radar, but I really appreciate the comment about combat being all that we are seeing.

MMO designers need to understand that it is really no longer acceptable to pump out a great combat simulator, and neglect everything else. As I see it the trinity of core aspects are combat, crafting, and exploration. All should be wrapped in a goodly amount of lore and story.

Combat simulators are a dime a dozen at this point. For the MMO to evolve we are going to need to see more developers push the limits of other areas. As many problems as I feel WoW has at its core, Blizzard has at least given a very clear example of the truth that it is the "downtime activities" and non-combat content that drives the game.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 2:02PM nomoredroids said

/agree.

I think that's the main reason WAR is failing. Even their crafting requires combat to do. Fighting gets old.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:34AM aurickle said

No matter how fun combat is, if the game gets grindy I will stop playing.

If Tera can prove itself to be the exception by being a Korean MMO that doesn't force you to grind away at mobs before you can move on to the next quest content I will likely be very happy with this game.

But that's a big "IF"!

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:51AM Dblade said

If combat is dynamic though grind is lessened. The problem with Aion wasn't so much the grindiness, but that combat sucked and was incredibly basic. Phantasy Star Online was a big grind, but it never got old because the combat system was a lot more dynamic than "stay in one spot and autoattack, rotating the f-keys"

I agree though, after playing Aion I am not so keen on Korean-style MMORPG any more.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 12:47PM (Unverified) said

Repetition was also a problem. No matter how deep and fun the combat system may be, if you keep fighting the same monsters over and over with no variation it's going to get old fast.

If Tera adjusts the model so that combats are both fun and varied even if it takes ages to reach level cap I think they'll have addressed Grind properly.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 1:13PM (Unverified) said

Thank you for covering this game. It looks great, the En Masse team seems like they're on top of bringing a Western game to a Western market and not a translated Eastern grind dressed up as a "game". If it seems so good that a "bad" point is "the monsters just pat around. They aren't that dynamic." then I think we're pushing the traditional MMO bounds further and further (in a good way. Hopefully, one day, dynamic, living AI will become an MMO staple. I'm not demanding it today though).

I'm watching Tera enthusiastically!

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 1:26PM Valdur said

Agreed with the above posters,combat is not everything.I hope Tera has more than its combat.I'm looking forward to learn more on crafting,diplomacy(if it does exist) housing and AA.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 10:50PM (Unverified) said

Looks good so far. This, Jumpgate, Rift, and TOR are all on my radar. Sadly, all of the key MMO's aren't coming out until 2011! Argh! Having at last quit WOW for the final time, I wish just one of these were coming out in 2010. Oh well, hopefully the wait will be worth it this time.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance