Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:37PM Zantom said

I recently came back to SWG. I just love the sandbox nature of the game that is still head and shoulders better than any other MMO. The space game is fantastic (it could use more dev attention in content, but the combat is perfect). Housing and crafting is the best by far then anything else I have ever played.

If the NGE never happened this would still be a huge contender in today's MMO market. IMHO. Nevertheless, the majority of the NGE damage has since been mitigated. SWG is a great game to play.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:49PM Miffy said

• 1 heart
No it hasn't because what the NGE broke still exists in the game, sure they've fixed some bugs that it added but the reason why everyone left is still there. You know SWG was a game that was made good by the sum of it's parts. Like everything linked together to make a solid game. They broke that and turned the game into a game, rather than a virtual world like it was before. They got rid of things like Death penalties that put risk in there and they got rid of the profession system which everyone loved. The animations are still borked since the NGE because the combat is too fast. Talking of combat, the NGEs is just *BLEEP* and it is boring.

The game is a mess, always will be and because they spent so much time fixing the NGE, they had no time to develop it anywhere else. So the content is all really poor quality and they just reuse the same *BLEEP* over and over.

Please let it die and let the memory of a once amazing game live on.

*BLEEP*

*edited by editor for pointless profanity - don't make me do this again, thanks!*

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:54PM Damn Dirty Ape said

I played for a while before the NGE and never played afterward, but from my memory SWG was never the holy grail that people make it out to be. It had some great features, but when I played a lot of the core gameplay was still incredibly buggy and the professions were poorly defined and horribly balanced.

Now I'm not trying to excuse the NGE at all because I think changing an MMO on your fan base is unethical (for someone who was 1 month into a 6 month sub for instance), but from my memory the game was very unpolished and buggy with a lot of incomplete and outright broke systems and professions.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 2:22PM Greeen said

have you ever played the game at its current state? probably not, so why don't you go QQ somewhere else?

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:50PM Damn Dirty Ape said

I'm always tempted to try this out again (especially for JTL which I never tried), but with SW:TOR on the way it seems like my Star Wars itch is only a year or so from being scratched. Maybe I'll give it a trial again.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:51PM Seffrid said

"If the NGE never happened this would still be a huge contender in today's MMO market. IMHO."

What's with the "still"? It never was a huge contender in the first place, that's why they did the NGE, in an attempt to improve the subscriber numbers! Subscriber numbers were always a massive disappointment given the appeal of the IP.

I can fully appreciate that for its pre-NGE admirers it was a great game, and that for them the NGE ruined it, but there never were enough admirers and that was the problem. Now if it had had the space part in it at launch then it might well have been a different matter. The trouble now is that it's all looking so dated.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:59PM Miffy said

It was but so was EVE Online at launch and yet CCP have spent 7 years making it into the MMO it is today. SWG was the same, had a horrible launch and spent much of 2003 fixing and adding what shoulda been in at launch. The potential of the game was so immense because of the IP and because it was all fully seamless and a skill based MMO.

However SOE went down the wrong direction with SWG and decided to ruin it during the course of 2004 with Jedi and only paying them attention. So the rest of the game suffered and people became fedup. So they started to leave because SOE didn't have a clue how to run the game and to try and win them back they did the CU. However the CU was a failure, people didn't want it but SOE pushed it anyways. So to try and appeal to new players they did the NGE, which had like a week of testing, you could see it was broken and bad, but they released it anyways.

The problem isn't so much of all the bugs it caused but just that it removed everything that made the game good.

Now it's a shell of it's former self with no potential.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 2:01PM (Unverified) said

That last one, Andrew is the community manager over at earth Eternal. http://www.eartheternal.com

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 2:16PM Lateris said

Have any of you guys tries that DX 10 mod for SWG?

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 4:15PM Uninformed said

I remain convinced that SWG was better pre CU than anything that has come before or after the game at that position.

I have never experienced a sense of community like SWG. In my humble opinion, WoW is bland compared to that and really all about gear slots. NOTHING else.

I remain excited and hopeful for SWTOR as learning from SWG and WoW and returning to the heart of the Star Wars experience. Honestly I believe that Bioware knows infinitely more about Star Wars in its KOTOR series than SOE has or ever will.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 1:01AM (Unverified) said

I believe one of the reasons for the drop in subscriber numbers prior to CU/NGE was due to a phenomenon known as WoW. Nothing could have averted the hit to those numbers after WoW was released.

I think the SWG developers overreacted by unleashing the beast, that is NGE, on its players.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 4:44AM Miffy said

I think it was a combo of WoW but also people leaving SWG cause SOE wasn't releasing any content and frigging they were ignoring every profession to balance Jedi for a year.

Also JTLS came out and disappointed everyone I knew, it ruined elements of the ground game and it had no content lol. So my guild was like "that was SWGs final chance, had enough of SOE".

Everyone loved the game but SOE was ignoring what people wanted, as usual like how they ruined Everquest and Planetside.

Posted: Jun 19th 2010 4:05AM (Unverified) said

JTL disappointed everyone you know, Venkor? Wow...

JTL was one of the best things they ever did for the game. It was positively ridiculous that a Star Wars MMO had no space combat considering how prominent it was in the movies.That said, JTL absolutely should have been part of the game at launch, as should ground vehicles.

I played from just after launch to over a year post NGE, and I'll admit I've liked aspects of them equally for differing reasons. But the open concept sandbox would of pre-NGE is vastly preferable to the NGE system they have now. There were far more options for players to take with over 30 inter-mixable professions. And while I appreciate the increased content that the NGE has brought for new players, like Tansaari Station and the Legacy Quest, the way the NGE was enacted killed the community of the game, and that is something no amount of pre-made content can replace.

On the plus side, the SWG Emulators out there seem to be coming along nicely, and even unfinished it's more fulfilling than the NGE.