Posted: Jun 16th 2010 1:19AM Felladin said

And yeah, I sound like a GW fanboy, but what I meant was that the Star Wars universe suits the event system perhaps even better than a one continent world as you can have events all over the place that has the tides of war going back and forth almost unending as there is always some planets occupied by one side.
It's a game of chess on a galactic scale board with renewing pieces.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 1:21AM Uninformed said

I was also very disappointed about the crafting situation. SWG crafting, while complex, was far and away the most interesting. The experimentation, better ingredients, yielding improved stats etc made it fantastic. Some players crafted downright brilliantly and made ridiculous names for themselves on some servers.

Crafting was at the heart of the player driven economy. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see an economy like SWG had in its heyday.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 5:30AM Minofan said

Aww; I'm finding all this E3 news & footage rather disheartening.

For months TOR was my most anticipated MMO, but ever since GW2.com went live they've been gazzumping my TOR enthusiasm on every conceivable level; "WoW with a twist" just isn't firing the imagination like GW2 innovations are.

I know we are still very far from release, but I'm really not liking the graphics or the art direction itself in the slightest; isn't there an advanced dev-only build back at the studio by now, that they can use to showcase character models?

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 3:11AM Diatonic said

How many times can we reference WoW in one interview?

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 6:49AM (Unverified) said

Just remember that WoW was initially EQ2 with a twist (nonstop questing). You don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a successful MMO. You need a fun game. The fact that their biggest supposed "twist" is a Bioware-type story playing out is incredibly heartening.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 9:55AM Sharuk said

Exactly

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 8:59AM (Unverified) said

So many WoW parallells in this game...its all the same talk...

Still hoping for something new here...

I am pretty sure they can do something more interesting with the end-game.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:25AM karnisov said

since Bioware has several ex- SWG developers, i'm disappointed the crafting system is not going to be as deep as SWG. why the step backwards?

space content consisting of a space RV at this time doesn't do it for me. almost every star wars game, except perhaps the most recent ones, have had some sort of space combat. even if it was only 1 level in the NES game, it was there. having grown up playing games like Tie Fighter and Wing Commander i have to wonder what bioware is thinking. epic space battles are what star wars is to alot of the 30+ crowd.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 12:27PM Djinn said

I'm not sure why people want more complicated crafting. In LotRO and other games I'm tired of my crafting mats taking up so much of my space - I don't want more! And I've done crafting in EQ - that was a blast! Yes, let's have more of that please.

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 12:53PM (Unverified) said

The amount of references this guy makes to WoW and how he compares it to this game worries me. If this is another kid friendly, weekender, hosh posh of an MMO I will be disappointed.

Also his answer to open world PvP has made me lose a little faith in the competitiveness of this game. Instanced PvP where the player is limited in the amount of options and strategies available to them is a weak system. All it promotes is a grind fest type of gameplay, which should have no place in Player vs Player interactions.

BTW WoW is not the "standard" of MMO gaming, WoW is the benchmark for themepark gaming, which IMO is no where near the same level as true MMOs. L2, EvE, DaOC, EQ, SWG

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 1:06PM Uninformed said

Actually I think WoW has become the "standard". It certainly has become the 800 pound gorilla.

Ask the average person to name an MMO other than World of Warcraft.

I agree completely it is a themepark and dumbed down. Eve really sets the standard for high end MMO. WoW by definition never did. Heck, Blizzard even sets the graphics standards as low as they possibly can to capture the largest audience and fanbase.

I still have faith. The irony is that when WoW was still in development, there was a great story in PC Gamer I believe about how every single WoW developer had SWG on their desktop because that was the game to beat. They succeeded ironically by worrying SOE to such an extent that they reduced the game to a WoW interface etc.

Let's hope Bioware learns the hard lessons of SWG's devolution and has a few MMOs on their desktop at this point.....

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 11:47PM (Unverified) said

Where are the two million subscribers coming from to make them break even?

Certainly not World of Warcraft, why would the majority of WoW players leave for a game that is barely different? More raiding and battlegrounds? Awesome! Wait... I'm already established in a game that does that.

Voiced NPCs. Holy crap. That's..... awesome for the first 8 hours of gameplay. Bioware's dialogue is nothing to write home about really.. and in an MMO setting I'm incredibly skeptical. All of the videos so far just make me want to skip over that crap as soon as possible so I can get on with my grind.

Nothing so far shows me any reason that this game is going to be a massive success. WoW already pulled the millions, every game that's aped it so far has failed to grab millions of people.

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 1:16PM (Unverified) said

Maybe it's just me being a cranky ol' bastard, but I just think a ground-combat fantasy-WoW-style MMO is pointless for SciFi. I like EVE because you can actually imagine a future where starships duke it out using technology similar to what's described in EVE. The only thing missing are singularity cannons that fire micro-blackholes into enemy stations and cause them to implode and go nova.

When I first saw EVE, I thought, "Cool. Homeworld MMO." And for the most part, I haven't been disappointed, but Homeworld had far better PvE mission design, including the scripted in-game cutscenes, killer voiceover, music, etc.

I guess this means Star Wars was interesting and cool 30 years ago, and as a kid I loved them. But after reading a lot of great SciFi writers the last few years, there is a point where you really leave the old genre stereotypes behind. Just to touch on a few key elements that SWTOR will have to ignore...

1. The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson - little flying bots designed specifically to assassinate a target with a particular phenotype or DNA match. Imagine a swarm of a couple hundred quadrotors the size of your thumbnail with your choice of laser scalpels, poison, viral, or microbomblet loads. Or cover them with tritanium barbs that shoot out and skin the target alive. Kind of hard to live without skin.

2. Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo - Have your gunship lock on to your laser target designator. Deploy 10 kiloton munitions to target. Boss gone. If you need to save the surrounding furniture for the new tenants, use a ionized neutron pulse with no blast wave.

3. Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan - If you die and load into a clone, why not just resleeve into someone else's clone. Bribe the supervisor at the clone bank to do the switch. Or redesign your spare clones to be completely unrecognizable. Or just for fun, clone into a different species now and then just to get some tentacle time in.

4. Vehicles - As in, why the frak would I be walking anywhere? If we are going out hunting bantha, then just strap a harpoon cannon onto the front of our speeder tank to make it all the more sporting. Or better yet, just strafe 'em in an A-Wing or a VTOL equivalent.

I liked KOTOR seven years ago, and Mass Effect was much the same vein, but all these games are basically just cowboys and indians westerns. Same goes for Warhammer 40K, and probably Dust 514, etc... tactically, the options for SciFi just are so much broader than running around shooting things. But maybe something about our brains just likes shooting things.

Ugh.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM