Posted: Jun 15th 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

"or for those who want to do the same thing in the same game, over and over."
I dont know. I used to be playing LOTRO and thanks to superior game design and especially quest design as well as a great story for the quests to tie into, it was never a matter of "doing the same thing over and over again", like it is the case with WOW, e.g.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 3:23PM Darkjoy said

• 1 heart
all those shortcuts.. and not a single one worth clicking.. what a waste of disk space.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 3:30PM (Unverified) said

I swear I've read this [basically] same article from Beau before. I used to love your stuff, Beau, but there's only so many times I can read your laundry list of F2P and/or cash shop virtues and how happy you are with your "a la carte" gaming lifestyle. "Why do you keep reading?" you ask me. I keep reading because you're an intelligent gamer and a talented writer; I'm always on the look-out for something that's not a F2P defense or a promotion of casual approaches toward gaming.

Still intelligent and talented though, Beau. You'll always have a thumbs-up for that.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 4:07PM Beau Hindman said

Mitch: Thanks for the comments. Since I have been writing for this site, my gameplay has changed a great deal, and these articles are the results of the process of figuring out what "kind" of gamer I am. While I have maintained this type of lifestyle for years on my own blog and podcasts, I still go through these growth issues.

As far as not defending free-to-play or casual gaming, well I *do* mention how I have always maintained some subscriptions (years ago I used to maintain about 6) and my casual gaming is just who I am. That's the odd thing, the more I have to look at games, the more "casual" I become while actually putting more hours into games that hardcore gamers! haha

As far as my comments about repeating the same thing over and over, that is what I hear/read/see my other "normal" gamer friends doing, either maintaining raid nights, roleplay rules or static groups. I would like to see some kind of poll that asked gamers, and would bet that most of them do indeed do pretty much the same type of gaming night after night. I see nothing wrong with it, at all, and in fact wish I could do more of the same thing sometimes.

Oh, and there were more games off the left side, but the screenshot started blurring at a certain level! lol

Beau

Posted: Jun 16th 2010 10:07AM (Unverified) said

Well, I'm not sure *what* you said that shifted my perspective slightly, but that's neither here nor there. Something in your reply "clicked" such that I realized if I treat your works less like many discrete works and more like one continuous, evolving work of gaming journalism, I can begin to see where you are coming from. Also, please don't think that I was accusing you of being a rabid F2P "fanboi" who doesn't play subscription games or something with my use of the word "defense."

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 3:49PM (Unverified) said

Battle of the Immortals but no League of Legends...for shame.

Also, PoxNora. How is that game these days? Heard Sony took it over from Octopi but stopped caring after. Great game concept, it was just too slow.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 4:13PM Beau Hindman said

They launched Pox on Facebook, basically embedding it. I am not sure how well that went, but the stand alond version is still getting updates and things. I liked it, but wish you could play with several people at once. If there is the ability to do that, and to "paint" your army, it would be even better.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 3:52PM ployer said

My desktop looks very similar to that, sigh. Still nothing worth a damn to play.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 4:31PM Beau Hindman said

By the way, I would like to point out the two dead games on my desktop, There and Lively. I have been shuffling those around since they died, and I never uninstalled them either.

Just pointing it out. :)

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 4:34PM johnmatthais said

Score for Machinarium. Also, what's MCE?

And you really must never get rid of anything...still having CoG and Alganon and all. xD

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 4:57PM Beau Hindman said

MCE is DDO, I have no idea why it is titled "MCE"! (I need to figure that out. haha) Alganon I liked, though, and still play it.

And CoG escaped from being deleted because of my airhead. Too bad you reminded me. *deleting as I type this* Poor CoG.

Beau

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 5:10PM Enikuo said

I think this is your best point: "recognizing the possibility that I will never have the best gear or highest-level character."

Re-evaluating my perceptions of what the "point" of playing an MMO has been key to me being able to enjoy ftp games without breaking the bank. (Not that there's anything wrong 'breaking the bank' if you're some super-rich dude that has plenty of banks to break, but I know that's not me.)

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 5:11PM BlindseerJB said

I find myself drawn to this style of play, however I have a hard time maintaining interest in a lot of F2P games when trying them solo as most of my friends can't be bothered.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 5:14PM VioletArrows said

My list is about half that big, mostly because it's very difficult for me to find things to my tastes. I try something, like it, and then burn out very quickly. I've only recently lost almost all hope for returning to Ragnarok, Hello Kitty was adorable but just too saccharine for me (burnt out on gardening too), Champions is only on here because my boyfriend likes it, and WoW is pretty much the posterboy of an abusive relationship... or at least two people who really really REALLY don't belong together.

Yet I hit the mmo sites every weekend for sites that give away welcome packages and beta keys. *facepalm*

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 5:23PM breezer said

I wish you would have made a direct response to Jef's ridiculous, sensationalist article from the other day. Maybe you're more professional than he is, but meh...

You desktop makes me feel slightly less embarrassed about mine xD

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 5:37PM Seffrid said

That wasn't an article, it was an ill-informed personal blog masquerading as a Massively article. If Jef wants to learn how it's really done he should read a few of Beau's pieces. Not telling your readers they aren't smart would be a good starting point...

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 9:59PM Birk said

Jef's article was rife with opinion and personal speculation. I realize that this is sometimes not compatible with the job of a journalist.

However, Beau has done some (very good), but also very opinionated reviews of Free-to-play games recently.

I see where you are drawing the line between the two things; but although Jef's article is being attacked for being so one-sided, it did serve the purpose of playing devil's advocate to what the majority of those reporting on the industry are saying. It sparked some interesting debate; some of which was garbage, but most of which was at least engaging.

Now, I don't want to see Massively turning into some drivel-filled, troll-rampant hive of scum and villainy any more than the rest of you. But personally, I feel that Jef's article was relevant and insightful, and criticizing him for his unpopular opinion while crucifying him as unprofessional and incompetent is overly dramatic.

Beau is one of my favourite writers on staff, and so is Jef. They both have their strong points and weak points, as we all do. More importantly, both present relevant and fresh news for us to read, and contribute overall to the colour and timbre of Massively as a whole.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 6:09PM (Unverified) said

Adventure TIME! one of the best shows to come out of cartoon network since ed, edd, and eddy.

that and Misadventures of Flap-Jack. that one is really good

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 6:10PM breezer said

Agreed.

I didn't even disagree with all his points, but I found the way he expressed completely inappropriate. (not to mention the fanboyishresponse from those desperate to not be in the "ignorant" or worse ,"casual" (*gasp!*), f2p'er category).

I was sort of expecting a "Hey! People who play F2P games aren't necessarily idiots" rebuttle, but perhaps it better to just let that one go lol.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 6:10PM Graill440 said

*deleted by editor, please refrain from ad hominem attacks on our columnists, thank you*