Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:20PM aurickle said

I played some this weekend. This game has an absolutely awesome character creator, although I wouldn't say it's the equal of Aion's. Aion lets you create greater diversity in the character himself -- for example there are about 2-3 times more hairstyles to choose from in Aion. Sure, APB lets you choose some nice extras like scars and determine just how visible they are, but in the end characters in Aion look more diverse.

On the other hand, APB's post-creation customization is incredible. You can create your own tattoos and put them pretty much anywhere on your character. Clothing has tons of options for how you can modify it although you see a surprising number of people running around wearing identical outfits anyway. Then you also have customization options like your vehicle and creating music for other players to hear.

But in the end, gameplay is king and I felt that APB is lacking in that area. CoH at launch had more depth than APB. Sure, APB is fast-paced and all but in the end it becomes extremely repetitive. This is a game that you might like to jump into for an hour or two here and there, but I think the vast majority of players will not find it to be a place where they want to practically inhabit the way they do LotRO or WoW. Sure, there will be exceptions but for my part I canceled my preorder. As CO showed, great character customization is not enough to overcome a lack of gameplay.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 8:22PM (Unverified) said

"This is a game that you might like to jump into for an hour or two here and there, but I think the vast majority of players will not find it to be a place where they want to practically inhabit the way they do LotRO or WoW."

As someone who only has a small handful of hours a week to game I think this is a good thing. Being able to jump in and start shooting perps and then jump out after half and hour to an hour is great.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 9:28AM DevilSei said

Actually, they understand that APB will be the kind of game people would just play for an hour or two, and tailored their subscription prices to that.

Buying the game includes around 30hrs (the announcement was on Gametrailers, so I'll have to dig that up) for the action districts, since the Social District is free for everyone. You can buy chunks of time with either cash or if I remember right, special in-game currency (again, have to check announcement). In case you feel that you'll be playing more than that, theres a $10 sub fee you can pay to play as much as you like.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:20PM AyAitch said

My take on the game was really similar to yours - APB is a mission-based, team-oriented, PvP-centric massively multiplayer online first person shooter with loads of customization options.

And I think I might be alright with that. I wouldn't pay $15 a month for it, but I could pay ~$.35 an hour, which is what the $7 for 20 hours comes to.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:31PM MtthwRddl said

A fair review. :)

I've run into a crossroads with MMORPGs. As much as I have an urge to play one, I keep getting bored of the same old fantasy themes.

APB may not contain all the elements of a classical MMORPG, but I think it's differences make it stand out, and if RTW can fix some of the more glaring problems with the game (I'm looking at you, car steering), they may have a nice hit on their hands.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:31PM Scopique said

Totally onboard with aurickle. There are always crowds around the creation kiosks in the social areas, and the ability to customize the heck out of clothing, music, and cars has no equal.

But the statement "This is a game that you might like to jump into for an hour or two here and there" is EXACTLY what RTW seems to expect people to do: they are building their business model around it, by asking you to pay by the hour. It recognizes that people DO NOT play FPS titles for 6 hours several times a week the way some people play MMOs. Will this work? Maybe, but maybe not. As the F2P/Cash Shop wave in Western MMOs has shown, many players resist change to their comfort zones.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:40PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Thank for this honest review of PVP in APB! It's time that people stood up for their rights. I too had a similar situation happen in a WOW PVP battleground. A player (anti-social, need I add?) walked up to me and HIT ME WITH A SWORD!! I logged off and cried my eyes out, but when I was done I called my lawyer and I expect a long a protracted litigation.

Don't let anyone tell you that PVP means you have to fight other players! Fight the power!

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:44PM Jef Reahard said

Did you just overlook the fact that I did indeed try to PvP said player and the game wouldn't let me?

I actually enjoyed what PvP there is in the game, it's just a shame they copped out on the friendly fire.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 8:12PM AyAitch said

I don't know if you'll read this Jef, but here goes: RTW has mentioned that they'd like to make 'Chaos' ruleset servers, where PvP against all Enforcers and Criminals is enabled. Given how easy it is to move between instances, it sounds like you could play in Chaos and not-Chaos areas with the same character.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 8:16PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
A passive aggressive "You're a meanie troll. I'll call you my friend and show everyone what a bad man you are." reply, really?

Come on. You don't get the satire here? Do you really need the joke explained to you? It was a joke about people's odd expectations of how the game works, vs how it has been clearly set up by it's creators.

It wasn't aimed at you, but I would have expected better research on your part.

Paint me as a troll if you have to to sooth your bruised ego, but I expected a little smarting writing from this site.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 8:22PM Jef Reahard said

@Baburnama:

The Chaos ruleset sounds cool, thanks for bringing that to the table. I'll definitely sign on to check that out if it becomes available.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:22AM kasapina said

They didn't cop out the friendly fire, it's still there - you can kill your teammates. It would be pretty nasty to be able to kill every single player outside of your mission though, and I think it would generate a lot more griefing than now - currently, you can only be pushed around by cars.

Chaos districts, of course, will be a lot of fun. There was speculation that they will be there when the game launches, but no hard evidence.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:43PM sandwiches said

@Baz
Are you having a conversation with yourself or your imaginary girlfriend or what?

Your reply has absolutely NOTHING to do with what he said. The only one with a bruised ego seems to be you, troll. ;)

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:33PM Tizmah said

I'd rather see improved cover or hook to wall options, shooter mechanics, and such than RPGness. I'd rather save the RPG stuff for the Fantasy MMOs I'll play later. I'd like to have one MMO where it's not about getting skills up all the time..

I'm definitely getting this :)

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:45PM Darkdust said

Planning to check this out, if for no other reason than the character creator and social districts.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:48PM CCon99 said

I'm betting APB will go FTP within a year's time. It's a decent game and can be a ton of fun, but there are far better shooter's out there that you don't have to pay to play. I think it will have a pretty good launch, but after 2-4 months the repetitive game play will have people questioning if it's worth paying for. Eventually it will get to the point where there aren't enough people playing the combat areas to even the sides in missions and they'll be forced to do something about that. This was already an issue in beta where you were constantly getting 3vs1 missions.

The game might allow 100 players per area, but you will never see 50v50 combat in APB (unless they add a open team PvP district in the future). In fact because of the mission setup, I've never seen anything more 4v4 (there could be 6v6 or bigger, I'm not sure since I've never seen it). Not to mention those 100 are probably spread over the 3 districts.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 7:55PM MtthwRddl said

If Global Agenda hasn't gone F2P, then APB won't either. I'd almost say the same thing about Fallen Earth. All 3 games have similar aspects.

It's hard for new MMOs, I definitely agree with that, but I think if a game has an absolutely unique aspect to it that no other game can equal, it has a chance of not falling into that F2P hole. I think the customization of APB is the unique aspect that no other MMO can parallel.

About the 50v50 games, honestly I wouldn't want to participate in them. I'd like to see 10v10, but 50v50 would be ridiculous to keep track of and would kill my computer.

I don't think people can apply the same old MMO logic to APB. In WoW, sure, 50v50 sounds like a great idea. In APB, not so much. In WoW, fine tuning skill points and enhancing abilities is important. In APB, shooting and maneuvering skill is more important than what you are wearing.

You may be right about APB, but I don't think it's clear what the future for the game will be at this moment. Only time will tell.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 10:25PM (Unverified) said

The 100 people are NOT spread across all the districts. It handles 100 per INSTANCE, inside a single district. Essentially, 100 players to a map. I have been in a couple full districts and it gets chaotic, although it can only go to 4v4 matches. I'm thinking they'll work on making it bigger.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:09AM CCon99 said

I think Global Agenda will eventually go free too, they already have a free version that is just the basic PvE game. You have to sub for the PvP stuff. The reason I bring up APB going free eventually, is just because there are far better shooting games out there that are free to play (and I don't mean that as in a free to play model, I mean like Modern Warfare 2 being free). Games like MW2, BF, GoW, and a dozen of others are all better shooting games you can play for free. APB might offer 100 per district, but the games mentioned above will actually have bigger fights because they allow 16, 32, or 64 player battles.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is eventually players are going to realize the combat district parts of the game is just another shooter, and people are going to start to question why they should be paying to play just another shooter that only allows 4v4 combat.

It would be a different story if they made the game more MMO friendly and I don't mean PvE. They should have designed the game to have sections of the city that could be controlled by guild gangs as their turf. Rival gangs or Enforcers that enter that Turf get flagged for PvP to that Gang. Then they could have had a hideout that was the gang's "fortress", in order to kick that gang out you have to take that hideout, which would then make that turf your gangs or under Enforcer control again. I would have no problem paying to play a game like that, because it would be unique. That would be much more fun than playing 4v4 trying to protect a tiny orange circle.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 1:31AM kasapina said

MW2 being free to play? 0rly? I think you are forgetting the cost of the servers that the hosts pay. In the end, it's the same - the players pay for the servers. The difference being, in apb and mmos in general (I keep repeating that apb is not an mmo), the developers maintain the servers while getting paid for that by the players, while in MW and the like, the players maintain the servers and pay for them.

So, in the end, MW2 is far from free. As are all the other ridiculous examples players love to give both here and on the apb forums.