Posted: Jun 14th 2010 10:42PM MattJG said

Come on Cryptic... give me a reason to come back. I loved this game for about 40 hours, until I realized that hour 40 was the same as hour 2... and 3... and, well, you get it.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 12:24AM Ayenn said

There are a lot of promising features in the season 2 patch. For me the most intriguing is probably the diplomatic corps system. There is no way Diplomacy can be truly articulated in a video game where a player is trying to engage in diplomacy with a computer. However, it might prove to be a very interesting game play system.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 12:39AM MattJG said

@Angel

I sure hope so. I was having an amazingly good time when I first started (except for ground missions, those were extremely tedious and boring). The space combat was pretty good, but knowing that there was nothing ahead of me forced me to quit. I don't think I have played for at least two months.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 2:17AM J Brad Hicks said

I'm not finding it any more repetitive than any other MMO. It's less so if you read the mission text, of course. I seem to be playing the game the way it was designed: solo PvE, team PvP. It works great for me.

I'm also absolutely adoring the insane amount of Star Trek trivia they packed into this thing. The more Trek you know, the more things there are to boggle when you notice that they referenced or included them.

You want a reason to come back? Two words: weekly episodes. Weekly! Episodes! Cryptic's "dstahl" insists that this is where their Genesis System pays off: they really can finally fulfill the promise that half a dozen MMO companies have made and all failed at, from Anarchy Online to Matrix Online; Star Trek Online will have an ongoing storyline that advances almost every week. When asked, he said that they will scale to your level regardless of what level you are.

Now, I grant you, the odds are good that that one episode per week will probably take you less than an hour and a half to complete, maybe a lot less. If you absolutely can't stand the farm the Special Task Forces for ultra-rare gear, and absolutely can't stand to farm the daily missions, then that's only 1.5 hours a week, or 6 hours a month, for your $15. (Or pay a one-time fee, like I did.) But if nothing else, if they pull this off then this'll be the first MMO in history that has something to hang out in the bar at DS-9 or the lounge at Memory Alpha or wherever and actually talk about: there will actually be weekly news to discuss and to speculate about the meaning of.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 9:13AM Ayenn said

"I seem to be playing the game the way it was designed: solo PvE, team PvP. It works great for me."

I'm not sure it was designed for that play pattern. Since the squad system was put back in my fleet has had a resurgence that has not relented. We are having a blast together and we really haven't touched PvP.

I think STO is meant to be played and that's the beginning and the end of it.

It will be interesting to see how they work out post leveling game play. That is some tricky business there.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 5:49PM CCon99 said

I love their priorities, the game has tons of bugs and people dying of boredom with no content, and they go and release yet more C-Store items today. Here's an idea, take the resources away from C-Store and put them on getting content and bug fixes pushed for your few remaining subscribers.