Posted: Jun 13th 2010 9:14AM (Unverified) said

There are a lot of really cool ideas here! I especially like the idea of using the Glyphs for entirely cosmetic alterations for your character. I'm a little surprised this is the first time I've heard of that.

I've toyed with the idea of getting back into WoW, but seriously, the game's been out for six years and all my friends have quit, not because they hate the game, but they've already done everything it has to offer and they're just bored with the same-oldness. Five years of playing the same game is just too much!

Here's hoping that maybe Bioware manages to recreate the success of Blizzard in the MMO market. A company with a solid reputation of making enjoyable one-player games making their first MMO with an expansive IP on which to draw inspiration? That's where World of Warcraft started.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 9:33AM (Unverified) said

This is the first time I've really looked into the Cataclysm changes and to be honest, I can't really see any reason, for me, to come back.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 10:15AM shoan said

I left about 3-4 months ago. I burned myself out so bad it's not even funny. I was at the point where I was logging in to do daily's and grind badges it was getting really old. I liked the insta-queues as a tank but the community killed me. I got so tired zoning into the instances and having the DPS start charging inot the mobs and yelling "GO FASTER YOU NUB" Granted I was ICC decked. There was plenty of times I turned the zone into one single pull and that got real old. It was at the point where instances like drak-theron or whatever it was called was able to be finished before the queue timer for the next dungeon was up. And guess what I was still being told to "GO FASTER!!!!!!!!". Also my wife was getting tired of my raiding having a game schedule dictate our activities. I have been really trying to find another game to play but there is nothing out there that is really making me go wow. I have tried just about everything under the sun. I tried to get into PvP but it seems to be just filled with retards jumping up and down and wiggling around. Guess what it does not make you any harder to hit, your just a tab away from being a target. It would be one thing if you were trying to kite or joust the range of spells. I just need to find a good PvE game and go with it. I loved EQ2 but it runs really bad even on a top shelf PC. Oh well im just ranting now lol.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 8:36AM swarmofcats said

Excellent post. Think you've perfectly summed up many players feelings with the current state of the game.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 2:34PM Djinn said

This is why I have never played to lvl cap in any MMO. I hear the same things for every game. Raiding, pvp, dailies are all repetitive and if you don't produce well enough you're berated. No thank you.

I do alts, and crafting and take my time. I manage to change games enough and they raise the caps enough that I don't hit the cap. Keeps me in things to do. :)

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 10:16AM (Unverified) said

Content cut? Check.
Features scrapped? Check.
Aiming at the lowest common-denominator? Check.

Activision well and truly have their claws in Blizzard now. A real shame to be honest.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 11:19AM FOI said

My deep love of Blizzard's games matters not when giving them money only results in funding Activision's destruction of the industry.

Gamers need to wake-up fast and stop funding Activision. I understand that it's difficult to not purchase Blizzard's games but Blizzard IS Activision. They are the same company and Activision's policies are rubbing off on Blizzard. (paid content on top of a monthly fee, StarCraft 2 being broken into multiple releases, Battle.net 2.0 being a closed archaic joke, Diablo III pricing and online structuring in total question, and so on...)

Blizzard is answering to Kotick despite what you've been told. It may be filtered through a person or two but they are answering to Kotick and they are enacting his policies with vigor.

If you hate Activision right now then you have to also hate Blizzard even if it makes you weep into your pillow every single night. Be a responsible gamer and stop paying for another crash.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 6:33PM Eamil said

"Features scrapped? Check."

Are you honestly going to tell me Blizzard's never scrapped a feature that doesn't work before? Or cut content, for that matter? I know I'm not the only one that remembers Blizzard saying flat-out before Wrath's release that Azjol-Nerub would be a "vast underground zone" and it got axed down to two sub-80 5-man dungeons.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 2:30AM Unverfied B said

You must be *BLEEPED BY FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD EDITOR* kidding...

The features that were scrapped are:

Path of the titans (partially reworked into inscription)
Guild talents (You still have guild levels, but the bonuses are static)

Compared to the features still in:

- Remaking all the old world, cities, quests, everything.
- 2 new races, 5 new levels, 3000 new quests, 15 new dungeons (at launch), no-idea-how-many new zones.
- Lots of new race/class combos.
- Guild leveling and achievments
- Archeology
- Fundamental changes to warlock, druid and hunter class mechanics.
- Fundamental changes to how stats, mods and talents work.

And that's just the stuff we have already seen... i probably forgot some items.

Compared to what will be in the expansion the 2 scrapped features are so minor it's not even funny. They were also a bad idea from the get go TBH.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 10:53AM aurickle said

I have to say I really hate what they've done with the guild leveling system. Rather than letting guilds customize themselves for their players through talents, now every guild gets to be exactly the same. How exciting! And having to grind reputation with your own guild individually for each character? Seriously?

While there is some cool-sounding stuff in there, all told this is a very disappointing announcement for me. It seems like Blizzard is going back to heavy gating like they did with Outland, removing plans for character and guild diversification, and making the game even more grindy than it already is.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 6:35PM Eamil said

Honestly I'm glad they're axing the guild talent system. It's one of those ideas that sounds good on paper, but in practice, either everything is good enough to be desirable (in which case there's going to be a lot of drama when people don't agree with the guild master what talents should be taken), or a cookie-cutter "guild spec" will emerge (in which case, everyone's going to be the same anyway).

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 8:00PM Eamil said

Sorry for the double post but I just read something that made me think of this post again. Specifically this part:

"Also, locking storyline advancement to beating dungeons on hard mode? Even if it's just Grim Batol, that means that if you're not a big-time dungeon crawler you won't see the majority of Cataclysm's story."

First off (to respond to that part itself), all we know is that after Cho'gall dies on hard mode a "horrifying secret" is revealed. That's not "the majority of Cataclysm's story." Players who didn't kill Alganon (which requires at least one person to have killed all the bosses on hard mode, and is very hard mode himself) also missed out on a bit of interesting lore, after all.

And that brings me to what I read that reminded me of this post: I found a news post on World of Raids that gave a few more details about this. Specifically: "Upon defeating Cho'gall on heroic mode, the floor beneath you will collapse and you'll fall into a cavern of flowing lava that hides a "horrifying secret," according to Alex Afrasiabi." Combined with the knowledge that Blizzard plans on adding more Algalon-style bosses, I'm almost positive the "horrifying secret" is an extra boss.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 8:36AM Ocho said

I hate to say, but the current model is: grind. And the numbers say that grind works, whether we like it or not. Why would Blizz stop the grind model when their numbers are still through the roof?

You won't see me becoming a grinding player, though. I left WoW a while ago, because I didn't want to grind and will probably not be returning. But think on this... what is a standard 9-5 job? Isn't it the same things, the same responsibilities, the same stuff, day after day, hour after hour? Thats the definition of grind. At least in the real world, your job pays you. In WoW... you pay them. But now I'm ranting... forgive me...

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 11:07AM Birk said

I really hate that Blizzard did away with world travel by their auto-port to dungeon business. Initially, I loved it; get your 50 dungeon runs in...grind a massive amount of badges, and don't bother flying for 10 minutes to the next place.

But after awhile, I found the immersion factor severely truncated. I suppose it began with flying mounts, world PVP dying off when everyone decided that the road less travelled was the best one.

World PVP was one thing I really loved about WoW. Barrens raids on Xroads, ashenvale, tarren mill. But the tradition never continued into outlands or northrend, because folks were too busy grinding out badges for their next set of uber gear.

Of course, chalk that up to nostalgia, because world PVP has been gone for years now and Blizzard has made it very clear that instanced BG's and arena's are the way of their future. And I'm cool with that; I was even cool with that when I played. Raiding, after all, was what I focused most on.

Six months ago, I vowed never to return to WoW. And recently, that itch crept back in me to go check out Azeroth once more.

But I remembered the grinding of menial dungeons, and the sitting in town queuing to grind badges. And the raiding content made completely irrelevant by the next tier...

Anyhow, not to be overly negative in light of some great new information. The guild leveling system sounds really cool, and the archaeology stuff could be very neat if implemented properly.

But I fear I won't be returning to Azeroth, if the new tradition of sitting in the popular city and clicking queue for all your PVP and Dungeon-running needs continues. Even if they ripped that clear out, the streaming and pacing of the gameplay is just tired (in my opinion, as someone who has played since launch and likely just burned myself out)

Before anyone dashes Blizzard against the rocks (as it is popular to do), please try and remember that they have done a massive amount of good for the genre, in terms of creating a market for it and spreading the word. Yes, many of us are sick of WoW-clones and the WoW raiding model, but that too shall pass. It's a 6 year old horse, and (in my very, very, very humble opinion), Cataclysm is going to do for WoW exactly what it implies in the title.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 10:18AM Deadalon said

I dont really care about the travels. Jumping straight into dungeon from a group finder is ok. But I feel that at least those ppl that get those jumps should have done some prequests to get the option to jump there. Part of the lore is to know what is going on in that place and know where it is stationed on the world map. I have run into quite alot of groups with ppl that have no idea how to even run. And some dont know what map they are in - have never done it before.

Maybe some sort of Lore quests would be in order. You might look at it as a gear check and a dumb check.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 11:18AM Boruk said

Honestly nothing coming out in the news has me truly interested in returning now. It will be the same thing then as it is now at a certain point in the game.

Warhammer has come along nicely and gives me more to do than the same Heroic Dungeons randoms that do not seem to random at all.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 2:24PM blomma said

Path of the Titans seemed interesting, but i can see how it would have been required if you raid, and i guess blizz didnt want to add yet another grind.

Guild Leveling seemed interesting and potentially fun, but sadly they have turned it into a cookie cutter activity.

All in all it seems the expansion will just be more of the same.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 6:07PM Macabre 13 said

"All in all it seems the expansion will just be more of the same."

Surprised? If the SC2 beta is any indication, Blizzard absolutely refuses to take *any* chances (or I should say, Activision refuses to).

I've been a Blizzard fanboy since long before they even developed for the PC, but as much as I hate to say it, they are now just a shell of their former self. Oh well, they had a good run, no doubt.

If I had to choose now, I'd say ArenaNet is shaping up to be the new "Blizzard."

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 7:27PM TheJackman said

ArenaNet is all talk and no show so far... No E3 Demo!

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 5:56AM (Unverified) said

So all companies are REQUIRED to have an E3 demo? you do realise they are at different gaming conventions with playable demo's this year?