Posted: Jun 12th 2010 8:25PM (Unverified) said

"...for those of us that were lucky enough to have a skilled group of players who were all focused on getting through the expansion, this was no problem."

That's the crux on whether you enjoy CoP or not (well, the entire game really, since almost everything is group-based). That's why getting through CoP was my all-time favorite memory of XI. It fun and challenging (completed it pre-nerfed), and I was with a group of friends that I truly enjoy being around. That's why I'm looking forward to XIV so much, because my old LS from XI will be reunited there.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 7:04AM (Unverified) said

Completing each story line in FFXI culminated with a grande finale. Each was a special memory for me. Especially CoP. It was HARD. I fought the ice snoll at least 4 times. and fianlly won with an absurd pick up grp. I thought for sure we'd fail. Low and behold we all came prepared and won. I fought Ultima and Omega with my LS and we threw ourselves at it 10 times over and over. (pre nerf lost exp each and every time) I de-leveled from 75-73 on that fight. And when we won with 30 seconds to spare I let out the biggest HURRAH over vent! I'm happy I got it done then instead of now when it seems it'll be just a walk in the park. But by todays standards, in my opinion; It's just too difficult for newer players to get through the content. Everything is fairly easy now. FoV pages to help you solo along. Level Sync has players staying in the dunes and qufim island well into their late 40/50's and these PTs are commonly PL'd. It creates an environment for lax game play, and that leads to people giving up on hard to over come obstacles.

I'm happy that CoP level limits are being unlocked because this means I can bring my newer ingame friends over to enjoy content They would otherwise sadly never get to experience. But disheartened that the general mmo population diems hard content worth investing in.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 7:08AM (Unverified) said

thats supposed to read: " But disheartened that the general MMO population diems hard content NOT worth investing in."

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 1:35AM Sinsiltlia said

Pre- Chains of Promasochism (Promathia), people had deemed Final Fantasy XI as masochistic. All the expansion pack did was just reinforced the belief of many players that went on to eventually quit; or people who wanted to play, but have read about the game play from people who play or had played Final Fantasy XI. The game's customer service and billing didn't help them out as well.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 4:27PM Dblade said

You are kind of understating the difficulty. Keep in mind at the time of release we were all new players, and didn't have all the job abilities or knowledge to make the game easier. Even knowing the strategies the fights were too reliant on executing them perfectly: they even had in-game "cheat items" like anima and salts because some of the bosses couldnt be fought straight up. You had to use them to survive.

Also, these really were optional missions. No one really leveled in COP areas, and at the time, things like the subligar quest and ENMS weren't a draw for any but the hardcore. A lot of people just ignored it to focus on levelling, beating zilart content, and doing endgame in sky. Even now unless you are a min-maxer it doesn't offer rewards worth the time compared to TOAU and WOTG missions.

It needs to be said though a lot of people bitch about WoW and want to go back to the old days: why didn't you come play FFXI, which is about as old days as any current MMO has ever been?

Posted: Jun 21st 2010 7:21AM Terical said

The till next level exp was masochistic when the game first came off of beta.

That was how much exp required to go to the next level and maintain prior to scaling down of how much exp needed to gain and maintain a level. Level down was and still the most annoying thing.

Traveling on foot pre level 20 to the Dunes or Buburimu Peninsula if you didn't have a friend who was a white or red mage or had the job as a support job or could afford invisible powders and silent oils you were good as dead over and over on many attempts to get to your new leveling area. The same went for getting to Jeuno just to try and do the chocobo license quest. Of course you would have to hope the item: Gausebit Grass would be in the auction house. If not then you would have to beg someone or players the same level as you to help you out. That is unless you got lucky and someone farmed them for you and asked for nothing in return.