Posted: Jun 12th 2010 5:17PM (Unverified) said

Loved the TV Show, but it makes a terrible premise for a game, especially with the series being over. I cared about the characters and the story, and that has played out. Seems simply like a money grab to me. Just make a space shooter with an original IP if you want to make a space shooter MMO. Not everything has to be an existing IP.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 4:31PM eyeball2452 said

This is a little too late. Loved BSG on SciFi, but I've moved on.

I'm also skeptical of MMOs that use 2 faction systems. It's a lazy way to create PvP conflict and will inevitably result in all sorts of balance issues that previous MMO have been dealing wit for the last 10 years.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 3:24PM (Unverified) said

My thoughts exactly.

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 7:43PM (Unverified) said

Exactly.

I'd much rather play the Board Game. If you want to muck around in the BSG world, that's a gorgeous way to do it- you get to actually play the characters and the feeling of suspense and back-stabbing is very intense (at least in the forum version I've been playing.)

The strength of BSG is the human (and cylon) interaction, not the space battles.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 5:19PM yeppers said

This is horrible.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 5:30PM (Unverified) said

Duh ... cylon!

(Except I really doubt I'll play this.)

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 5:36PM Firebreak said

The game should have been set in the first Cylon war.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 6:25PM dudemanjac said

Right!!! That would have made at least a little sense.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 4:19PM lummyal said

Yeah, I didn't think of that right away. I was too busy thinking "OMG OMG Squeeeee!!!" but yeah, that would have made more sense. I am going to play this, but it may be crap.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 5:37PM Kane Hart said

The trailer was cool and also lame at the same time. If it's done right I will be playing it for sure. If it's done wrong and from the looks of it it might then screw you I got Bioware to cover me!

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 5:54PM sigma8 said

If all of humanity essentially serves onboard the Galactica, it will be interesting to see how that plays out as an MMO. Given that you will presumably be taking orders from Adama. I wonder how they'll work Guilds and player autonomy into it. I also wonder how they'll maintain an atmosphere of "humanity is totally being wiped out" when you've got half the playerbase serving off of a ship that only holds a couple thousand people.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 7:13PM (Unverified) said

Well i guess no more than a couple thousand players will play this xD

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 1:13AM sigma8 said

That is some funny stuff right there... So you think maybe they're shooting for a 39,000 strong player base which will dwindle over time?

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 7:12PM Purkit said

This is Big Point guys, go check out Dark Orbit, that's what we'll be getting I'll guess. Big Point and most other browser based companies aren't exactly renowned for their creativity and originality, mostly they just spend their time ripping off competitors products.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 7:30PM CCon99 said

Browser "MMO" is Browser.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 2:04AM johnmatthais said

Replying to your other comment since I couldn't reply directly to it.

Anyways, I really hate when people say that browser MMOs are "pretend" MMOs. They're no more pretend than so-called MMOFPSs are. Also, with upcoming technologies such as Unity and the SparkPlayer by SparkPlay Media (they made Earth Eternal), there's really no need for such prejudice. Hell, RuneScape has been out for how long now and it's a real browser MMO!

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 7:31PM markt50 said

Ah man, I got all excited until i read 'Browser based'. What a waste for such a great IP :(

Posted: Jun 15th 2010 6:34PM (Unverified) said

Seriously, that did it for me, too.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 7:56PM Budukahn said

Battlestar Galactica doesn't really strike me as a sort of Massively Multiplayer compatible experience. I don't know how many combatants were in the Colonial Fleet during the series, but even at it's high point I can't imagine it would have been more than one or two thousand, since the vast bulk of the population seemed to be the civilians on board the other ships. Success of the product would very quickly undermine the desperate feeling of being the last survivors of humanity in a hostile universe that I thought was the fun of the series.

Personally, I imagine we're going to get something like the old X-wing versus Tie Fighter games. Eight on Eight space dogfights, but nothing approaching a proper MMO.

Posted: Jun 13th 2010 1:41AM CCon99 said

I think BSG would make a better game if it were designed like a Battlefield series game, rather than a pretend MMO. You could have a scenario where you have Colonial NPC's on the planet collecting a metal, fuel, food to supply the fleet. You wouldn't actually see these NPC's, it would just be a set timer on how long it would take to collect the resource. Then the Colonial Ground Players have to protect an objective from being taken by the group of Cylon Players on the ground. Over the planet in space, you would have the Battlestar (with working turret & missle stations) and it's player pilots protecting the planet from the attacking Cylon Player Fleet and Basestar (with equal turret & missle stations).

At the beginning of the fight the Cylon's could land a certain number of player units on the ground, but as the battle goes on and if they get more points or take an objective, they would be able to start landing more troops to the ground. If the Cylons completely wipe out the Colonial Space Fleet, then they would finally be allowed to Nuke the ground target from orbit, "because it's the only way".

Yeah I would rather play that, then try to make an MMO out of it. I love BSG to death, but it would just be to hard to make a MMO based off a storyline where you're supposed to be constantly on the move and doing your best to avoid the enemy at all costs.