Posted: Jun 10th 2010 9:50AM (Unverified) said

What happened to double XP weekends being a temporary measure while they adjust the progress rate in the game? It's been what, six months now since they started? 1.9 was supposed to fix all this (Massively even wrote an article entitled just that, "1.9 to right XP wrongs"!).

I wish the community managers would either have a roundtable with the players to discuss options and give serious, one-on-one feedback to every idea or just admit they can't or don't want to change anything and let it all go. Isn't that pretty much the only thing community managers get paid to do, talk to the players?

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:26AM aurickle said

Well I really had to laugh when I logged back into the game yesterday after having spent one or two days playing LotRO instead. All that time away and the 1.9 adjustments gave me three MINUTES of bonus XP -- 20% to be precise.

Wow, did that ever help eliminate grind...

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:37AM Jef Reahard said

I'm equally unimpressed with the Energy of Repose/Salvation stuff. However, they have added a ton of repeatable quests which has shortened the grind considerably, at least at higher levels.

As an example, I went from 43 to 44 in a couple hours of grinding repeatable Heiron quests. Each quest gave me anywhere from 1.5 - 1.8 million XP, and took about 15 minutes to complete.

In short, unless you find and do the repeatables at your level, you won't notice much difference.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 11:24AM Birk said

Yikes Jef, kudos to you for sticking with it, and having some fun. I'm so glad CmA went with Aion - your experience, coupled with the idea of grinding out repeatables to level, coupled with comments about how the leveling experience is MORE fun than endgame (from some readers - subjective)...

Well, Im glad I never jumped into bed with that shiny box!

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:28AM Laren said

For those of us new to Aion since 1.9, what does this really mean? Both this article and the posted link have few details. Other than the obvious (more xp)... I have a level 21 Templar... Will I be making 'double xp' on everything I do? So if I decide to level Armorsmithing to 199, I'll get twice the xp? =) What about my lowbie level 12 chanter? Same deal?

That would be pretty fun!

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:34AM Jef Reahard said

All characters, regardless of level, will get double XP from mobs. Quest XP doesn't change. You also get double XP for crafting items, and the chances for crafting skillups is increased (assuming this is like all the previous bonus weekends).

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:44AM Laren said

Thanks for the info Jef, that sounds pretty nice!

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 11:56AM (Unverified) said

The one thing that bugs me about double XP weekends is that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has been on weekends that Guild Wars is having double points on something I want to do, Sunspear/Lightbringer points this weekend for instance. GRRRRRRRRRRR

I wasn't really surprised that 1.9 doesn't do much for the grind (except daily quests). NCWest said they'd improve things about the XP compared to the Korean version multiple times. They didn't (perhaps a tiny amount?). On the up side it doesn't really matter too much to me, as I'm not worrying about leveling up at all, just killing stuff, exploring, killing, crafting (or failing to craft), killing, gathering, killing and a bit more killing. Did I mention the killing?

I really don't believe a word NCWest says any more.If you want any real info about the game and what is coming up (or at least might at some distant point in the future), you have to hope some of the Korean players that speak English will post what is happening and/or translate the update notes. Same as any Asian F2P game, except most of those have better western support staff and are more likely to make changes to their western version in a timely and smart manner.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 12:12PM Sunlover said

Hmmm... Looks like the experience with experience hasn't changed (I know, that was bad. =P) and I'll be waiting until 2.0 to try Aion out again. After purchasing the game for myself and 3 other friends shortly after release (That's a $200 purchase btw), I can honestly say that it will be the last time I make that sort of an investment for any MMO game at such an early stage in its existence. It goes double for any future Aion team/NCsoft games (outside of Guild Wars and Arenanet's stuff

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 12:13PM Georgio said

• 1 heart
1.9 did not solve the XP problem. 5 or 6 repeatable quests is not grind elimination, but more grind. What was again the purpose of the hyped 1.9 ? It seems 1.9 was delivered and hyped, only to soften the rage of the EU/NA fans who will have to wait more than 1 year for any content update (2.0 patch). I still doubt Aion in EU/NA will still be alive for 2.0 patch.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 1:27PM (Unverified) said

I think what a lot of people forget is that the AION staff is only a fraction of what, say the WoW staff is. As much as we would all like to get fast and frequent updates it's just not possible. The man power is just not there. Patches will occur just not at the speed of the some more popular games.

As far as the grind is concerned, is it slow to level a character? Sure, especially compared to current super speed WoW leveling times but I don't see every other game being all that much faster. My LotRO character is also taking for frikin ever and there is no shortage of kill 10 wolves quests there. Grinds are just part and parcel of MMO's. The sooner one accepts this the sooner the fun will begin.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 2:34PM (Unverified) said

You don't need a team as big as what Blizzard has to adjust drop rates and tweak the amount of XP you get for quests. The reason people are upset about Aion's infrequent updates is that they rarely seem to address the actual concerns of players, so they're left waiting months at a time for minor changes, like the aforementioned drop rates and XP. We don't even get discussions of potential fixes, we just get NCSoft's "solutions" in the patch notes with no rationale for why it should actually help and why it was selected over the great many suggestions made by the fans and players. As an example, players who played 1.9 on the test server unanimously pointed out that the cost of vendor fluxes and low-level stigmas was way out of line, but NCWest never even commented on their concerns and rolled out the patch as-is anyway.

Speed to level never was and never will be the problem. The real problem is that the grind is absolutely tedious, and absolutely required for participation in any of the game's PvP elements, and most of the PvE. We're not talking kill 10 wolves here, we're talking kill the same 40 wolves 100 times as a repeatable for +5% XP and one of 100 tokens to buy a new weapon while thirty other people are competing for the same wolves. The best way to solve the would be to add more quests, more zones, and more varied activities for low-level players so they don't feel like they're being pushed to level 50. Balancing PvP at low levels and making crafting into something more enjoyable than a lottery would likewise remedy the situation. But, and of those solutions would require a great deal of work to implement and NCWest seems either reluctant or unable to implement something that drastic. Hence, players ask for the more realistic alternative of just doubling the XP permanently because NCWest can actually do that.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 1:39PM (Unverified) said

Does this apply to the EU servers too anyone know?

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 2:53PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Aion sucks balls, what's new?

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 3:27AM Georgio said

In Korea Aion they already started to have a huge world cup related event. In EU/NA same old double XP. In Korea Aion they have weekly in game GM events, in EU/NA there were 2 GM events in 9 months. Aion in the west is just a second hand translated, unsupported port of a game, enough said.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 4:48AM Langx2 said

Double exp event less than a month after the "great 1.9 patch that will fix all our exp problems so we won't be having double exp events for awhile"? Ncwest goes back on their word faster than a politician!

The whole issue will become a moot point once 2.0 is released, but ncwest seems content on dangling that above our heads for the next 6 months, thinking it will seriously deter us from jumping ship when the slew of new games get released in the fall/winter.

Ncsoft needs to pretty much sack the entire ncwest branch, much like they did when it was called NcNA/NCinternational/Ncsoft back when it was under failing osi management. Gms started doing their jobs, patches got sent out, and everything was great for a few months.

Now these guys think they have job security and seriously expect people to believe their lies: that it takes them 6 months to translate a patch whose content they already translated in the 1.9 update.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014