Posted: Jun 11th 2010 1:19AM (Unverified) said

I have played well more than a dozen MMOs the past three or so years for at least a month or more. My first MMO was DAoC and I played constantly from the day it opened until the time I started MMO hopping. The only game that has given me the community feeling that DAoC gave me when it first came out is Runes of Magic. Yes, I can't believe I am saying it...a free-to-play MMO has the best, most friendly, and helpful community I have seen in years. I don't believe the people who play free-to-play games ruin the community at all. I believe a game that doesn't emphasize community play ruins the community. If a game makes social aspects of gaming important and needful to the game, people will be social. Otherwise, humans tend to take the path of least resistance and do it all by themselves - alone.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 3:17AM (Unverified) said

Don't panic!

I know quite a few people who said they will try out Lotro once it becomes "free" to play. All of them good mature players who will be an asset to any game they play and non of them children or idiots.

Most of them are people who play WoW but have kind of drifted away from being regular players now because they feel the game has changed too much, and the community has become full of people who have little interest in the game just in how much loot they can get and how quickly they can get it.

Most of them would love to try a more serious adult game, but haven't done so already because it's hard to move to a new game where you don't know anyone when you still have friends in another game. But now they can try it for free certainly will give it a go.

I think this will be of a great BENEFIT to the community on Lotro, not a harm. You'll get a load of people who are looking for better experience than they get on Wow these days and will hopefully fit right in.

I would be happy if I was a Lotro player, this seems to me to be entirely a good thing both for the game, and the community. it is WoW I'd worry about when yet more of the more mature players leave and the remaining community pushes the game further in the direction of becoming a video game rather than a game of exploration and adventure.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 4:50AM (Unverified) said

Tempes, YOU SHOULD BE THE ONE TO READ THE FAQ!
WHAT PART OF 5 SLOTS (as a VIP subscriber with F2P) VERSUS 7 SLOTS AS A CURRENT SUBSCRIBER WAS NOT CLEAR?!!!
Also, what other things of those that I wrote and that you did not adress other than with a broad "read the the faq" statement were not clear enough. I would say that my concerns and a lot of the concerns voiced by others here are very valid. The faq does nothing to adress them, nor do YOUR foolish posts.
Really, some people will it feces if it is only served to them by a good marketing department.
Oh and for those complaining about LOTRO being so bad... It sure was(before it went F2P) a whole lot better than WOW (unless you are into P2P, which I am not).

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 10:45AM (Unverified) said

Reading through the FAQ, the section right above the one about VIPs is talking about premium players (ones who have bought turbine points at some time) and mentions that they get "2 extra character slots" (on top of the 2 you get for free).

The VIP section does explicitly say "5 character slots" but given that that's 2 less than the 7 you have now, is it possible this is just a simple typo and they meant to put the 'extra' in there?

Otherwise, it seems a little odd that they'd make their entire playerbase lock out 2 of their characters when the switch comes.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 11:16AM Tom in VA said

My reading of the information from Turbine suggests to me that, if you have purchased the Moria expansion, you will have access to Moria and the two additional character slots (as well as access to the RK and Warden classes) regardless of your playing tier.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 5:47AM Blue Meanie said

Interesting debate. Ironic that many of the posters championing the changes based on how great the LOTRO community is are the ones flaming those that disagree.

I doubt personally the changes meant that LOTRO was failing, rather that they feel sure they can make more money with this business model. If that ultimately means they spend more money on development then the game should certainly benefit.

Let's hope they don't get too greedy.

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 8:11AM MrGutts said

Sera, why do you write these articles that make us want to kill one another with the comments? :)

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 8:54AM Seraphina Brennan said

I enjoy a weekly battle royale? XD It lets me eat my popcorn.

Srsly, do they do that?

~Sera

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 9:03AM MrGutts said

Oh from what I am reading into some of these posts, they sure as hell want to.

Oh go check out Joystiqs new site, it's up now. Looks awesome and the devs gave them a damn iphone app! Can't wait for the Massively overhaul..

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 12:22PM Seraphina Brennan said

Yeah, it looks awesome, and we can't wait for it either! Too bad I hear that we're almost last on the list for the overhaul. :(

In time I guess. In time.

~Sera

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 10:24AM Deryk said

Staying, and can't wait to have my friends join to make it an even stronger LotRO community!

:D

Posted: Jun 11th 2010 5:03PM Djinn said

While I agree that we'll have to see what happens with this F2P change, unfortunately I think you've missed one point Seraphina. Of course there will be good people who start playing. But none of us who is concerned talked about them because we're not worried about them. We're worried about the children (and other people who wouldn't ordinarily play if it cost $) who will join because its now free - and they will - and how they will affect the game.

I agree that the sky is not falling and likely will not. However I guarantee that there will be more stupidity in chat and PUGs because of this move. I currently play both LotRO and DDO and its easy to see the difference between the communities. And I also know that DDO's community is partially because it is F2P. Will this wreck LotRO - no. Will I be saddened that one of my favorite games has been brought down at least a notch? Yes. I also believe that the surviveability of the game will be strengthened by this move as change to F2P has been proven to do. So pros and cons. But don't try to tell us that there won't be cons.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 6:24AM (Unverified) said

After DDO went F2P, I've created Polish Portal of D&D Online (www.ddopl.com) for this game.
And I thought the same as Seraphina - it's we, the people, who can make newcomers to our community respect OUR rules and traditions. We just need to be consequent and not let ourselves take any bait.

And... I was right. DDO community hasn't changed a bit since F2P, other than now there's 10x more players and each "group" that was there before is much larger now. But that also means that the dominant group, which made DDO's Community exceptional, is even bigger and stronger now than ever.

So, LotrO'ers - take my tested advice. Don't leave the game, just teach newcomers how you play the game and what the game is to you. You'll see that they'll assimilate your playing style. You, current players, will be new "Founding Fathers". Literally. If you'll be able to teach by example, not only your words (!), others will soon look at you with respect and try to be such "heroes" themselves.

So, don't give up. All's within Your hands, and if the Community changes, it's your fault, I'm afraid. You'll be put to a test soon, and you must be prepared ; ).

I'm 100% confident that DDO Community won that test amazingly good. I'm sure you'll be able to do it at least as good as we did. Plus, many of us DDO players, including me, will be playing LotrO F2P as well : ). We'll help you how we can.

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 2:17PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for that great article Sera. So far on my server Vilya and in the raid/social kinships no has a problem with F2P model being added; in fact one person has spoked up in aganist it in open chat on the server to start some debate and was quitely ignored =).
Plus, when F2P comes into effect this fall, i don't see that many 'noobs' join LoTRO because WOW's next exp will be out at the same time, so they will all be playing that.

P.S. Have you hugged a Hobbit today?

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 2:09AM (Unverified) said

If a community is to endure, not only must it stay strong in the face of adverse opinions, but it must also feel and be inviting to other people. The denizens of Landroval will need to stand up and assert themselves in order to ensure that the community grows and thrives despite the n00b threat.

Be the better person. Why is that so hard?

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 12:26PM (Unverified) said

Well I am a member of f2p community and I currently play two mmos. For a while now I have been looking for a p2p mmo which was anticipated by other p2p communities and bloggers. After reading tons of forum and blog entries I have decided to join LOTRO and purchase what they demand from me to purchase. And now all over the internet there are bad news for me. I wanted to get out of f2p communities because aside gameplay people sometimes need a nice conversation inside an mmo and some grown up people. Now I have to check other alternatives.

To those people who think this will come and go and LOTRO community will be the same after process of transition (or lets say overgang),

It won't be the same fellas. We will troll you to the point where you will look for another sub based mmo and fail. Please do not let LOTRO to become another nursery school.

Posted: Jun 14th 2010 4:01PM (Unverified) said

Hey, I realise that this isn't the correct place but can't find information on the forums about it , I am a hopeful beta player and wanting to get into lotro.

Can I buy the compilation retail pack with the 2 expansions SoA and MoM and apply them to my beta acc to gain all the benefits, will that then carry over to the re-launch or should I wait to buy it ??

Ty in advance

Posted: Jun 17th 2010 11:37PM jimr9999us said

I cancelled my sub the day the day they announced the change. I had been a part of the game since March 2008.

Say whatever you want, f2p communities are different than those with gates. I signed onto AoC. They chose to give me value with off-line leveling rather than an item shop and spamming 13 year olds.

I will never vote with my dollars for item shops. I will fight the losing battle for sub-based gameplay until the day comes when I'm back to sprpg's.

WoW Archivist: Epics