Posted: Jun 9th 2010 1:09PM Keen and Graev said

• 1 heart
My only critique at this time would be that every attack seemed to be the same loud sweeping strike. Whether it was the wolf-man charging and sweeping, the dual wield sweep, or the sword and board, it was all sweeping attacks with the same loud sound.

The Warrior class with various weapon options sounds like it offers versatility but that didn't really come through in the video as much as I would have hoped. I'm hoping for combat that won't be all about the big "woosh!" aoe spam.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 1:32PM (Unverified) said

Didn't really like the speech whenever they entered combat or killed something. If it was just for the video then that's ok. If they keep it in the game I hope it doesn't happen every time or can be turned off..

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 2:35PM (Unverified) said

Agreed. I could see this becoming quite annoying. Maybe make it 1% chance per kill. Or able to turn off completely.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:01AM (Unverified) said

Ha! I complained about the repetitive voice acting last time. I figured that more and more people would agree with me once the hype wore off.

I posted a suggestion on my site...

I think it's the voice acting. For example, I was playing Halo last night. For some reason, I don't seem to tire of the announcer saying, "double kill", "triple kill", "killing spree" and "running riot".

(The same with Warcraft... "What", "Yes", "What do you want" ...that voice acting, even though repetitive, worked.)

When you look at the words, "Time to bust some heads" ...it sounds tough. But when I watch and listen to the video, it doesn't fit. I think if it was done by different actors, it might sound cool. These are cheesy one-liners, so why not get actors from 1980's movies... a generation defined by cheesy one-liners.

Steven Segal, Sylvester Stallone and Hulk Hogan. Tell Mr. T to put down his Mohawk grenade and get to work on a next generation MMORPG.

I can picture it, "time to bust some heads" ...it sounds better when Mr. T says it.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 1:37PM (Unverified) said

mmm cant wait to play the warrior..now reveal the ranger!! :)

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 2:37PM samkash said

not to burst your bubble, but maybe the ranger is dead in the water. i mean you did just see a warrior using a bow skill ( that fire arrow thing). i know in gw1 a warrior could use a bow skill too if you were a w/r, but here you only get one prof

so i mean i don't know at all, but its just what i thought when i saw the video.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 3:33PM (Unverified) said

Not to compare everything to WoW, but even there, we seen the ability for a Warrior to use a Ranged Weapon, as well as the Hunter.

The Warrior needs the ability to use a Ranged, because he needs to be able to pull aggro in PvE scenarios. This is the same in every single game I've ever played, that used a "tank" class.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 3:53PM samkash said

@beard

admittedly, yeah and even in gw1 anyone could equip a bow for pulling purposes.

but, as i said, u actually see him using a bow skill (the fire arrow). prev in gw1 if you wanted to use a fire barrage, u needed to have ranger as a secondary class because all the bow skills were ranger skills.

so, in this case, he isn't just using a bow to attack, hes using bow specific skills which were ranger skills in gw1. again i'm not saying for sure there are no rangers now, but from watching the video, i think its possible the ranger class has been absorbed by the warrior class.

but that doesn't address the pet side of rangers in gw1 so i dunno

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 1:56AM (Unverified) said

@beard

GW has no tanks in the traditional sense. Warriors are the best damage dealers in GW world

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 4:20PM DevilSei said

sam, there is a possibility however, that the flaming explosive arrow is just an innate skill with the weapon, as its been stated each weapon will have its own exclusive set of skills, on top of your class skills.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 4:46PM samkash said

@devil

thats true, which is another thing i was starting to think about as i typed my last post... would be interesting to see the incentives then to be a ranger with a bow over a war with a bow or who ever else. def add a lot more versatility to any class then.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 7:40PM (Unverified) said

@Devil

I was thinking that it could be an innate ability of the weapon as well, but on the actual Warrior page of the Guild Wars 2 website, the video is divided into different abilities that the Warrior has. The one with the bow-and-arrow is called "Arcing Shot".

(When you scroll down to the video, there is little thumbnail images on the right hand side of the video player. Click the arrow one.)

So, I'm not really sure what to think about this. Maybe we will see the "Ranger" class disappear. I can see that totally being the case now. The bow-and-arrow/Rifle abilities are going to be ate up by the Warrior, and their ability to have secondary weapon sets, and maybe the pet ability going to a conjuring-type class, like a Necro?

I'm not sure, but we shall see.

Either way, the game looks f'n amazing. :)

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 12:32AM samkash said

@beard

ah, that would def be something interesting. if they turned minions that necros have now into more of real pets that level and stuff... that'd be something interesting

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 9:52AM (Unverified) said

Sure, the Warrior uses a bow...
...but maybe the Ranger uses guns.

Ranger is a staple profession/class of MMORPGs. Plus, the Ranger is a Guild Wars pet class. It seems like they'd have to rewrite a lot of stuff to eliminate the Ranger... Troll Unguent, Charm Animal, lots of Rangers in the original.

There are eight professions, so I'm thinking that the lesser ones are on the way out... Dervish, Ritualist, Paragon. Eliminating the Necromancer could increase performance for larger battles. Eliminating the Monk could make the battles quicker and more exciting.

Elementalist
Warrior
Ranger
Assassin (bottom left one kinda looks like an Assassin and what about Naruto fans?! HA HA!)

Maybe the rest get eliminated for new professions. I don't know. But if I was the one picking four professions to keep, I'm thinking it would be those four.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 12:18PM (Unverified) said

I understood it like this ....
We've been told that each weapon has its own skills 'tied' onto it, so in theory any class could use the bow with that Arc Arrow skill since you only need to equip a bow to have it available to you.. However, we should look at the fact that we are not allowed secondary proffessions. For example : the Warrior has his Power, Tactics, Sword, Axe, Hammer, Mace attributes which he can increase to make him more powerful in each area. However, the Warrior would not have a Marksmanship (bow) attribute line - which would be one of the Ranger's attributes - and so he could never be as good as a Ranger with a bow.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 2:04PM Valdur said

The animations are awesome and I'm just trying to imagine A Warrior and an Elementalist fighting side by side.

Me wants more...

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 5:38PM Sean D said

I like it. Fighters - melee combat - shouldn't be flashy and I don't see as much inappropriate flash here as I generally do in other games. GW2 is drawing more and more of my attention as time goes on.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 2:22PM Khorrax said

I see they kept that rather silly "battle shouts". I really hope we'll be able to turn them off.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 2:28PM Egobrane said

Wow, I always play warrior classes in MMOs and I have to say, this video has me sold. I'm definitely buying this game.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 2:33PM (Unverified) said

I'm excited for the trait system. There were so many times in WoW that I would be healing a group perfectly fine, but some guy would whisper (or even more rude, party chat) that I had chosen wrong skills, or should respec since I wasn't healing as much as I could, or should have a different staff/gem/etc. I enjoy experimenting with different spells, different builds, different weapons. If I can do this often without emptying my bank account, awesome! Starting to sound like a fanboy, and I don't want to get my hopes up, but GW2 definitely looks like the game I've been waiting for. While I still expect people to calculate certain trait/spell/weapon pairs that produce maximum damage, I hope that the amount of possible combinations make all types of builds effective.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014