Posted: Jun 9th 2010 4:46PM J Brad Hicks said

The real reason you don't see a whole lot of Bane Spiders (and I say this as someone with one that's nearly level-capped) is that the mace's ranged attacks are pretty weaksauce. They're basically designed as mace-wielding stalkers with the soldiers' (amazing) team buffs. But this doesn't work terribly well, even if you load up on pool powers and set bonuses, because what you end up with, no matter how you slice it, is a melee fighter that has weak defenses against melee attacks. If you don't mind teaming a lot, you can actually do a very interesting Bane Spider build with what the players call a Huntsman build: stick with the Wolf Spider rifle attacks for lots of AoE debuffs and damage combined with scrapper-level ranged defense and, again, really good team buffs.

The fascinating thing about the Crab Spider and the Fortunata is that they are the thing everybody wanted for a lot of years, and hardly anybody recognizes it: they're ranged scrappers. Scrapper level defense, and mez immunity, on a ranged blaster character, either mostly-AoE energy (Crab) or mostly single-target psi (Fort). In particular, you have never seen anything so overpowered for soloing as a Fortunata: stalker level invisibility, better than scrapper level defense, better than controller level mez,* and single target ranged blasts that are devastating against anything that isn't a robot.

* Scramble Thoughts is the only player-available always-on perma-able magnitude 4 hold or stun. That's enough to perma-stun anything short of an elite boss.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 5:55PM saintnicster said

Omega Maneuver isn't really a panic button at all. It is better suited towards an alpha. No end crash, and there is also a +20 mag taunt aura that grabs enemies towards it before it explodes in their faces. The stun happens with the explosive blast, not before. There is a delay of between 5 and 10 seconds before it explodes, and with most summoned entities, I believe that if you die before it goes off, it will fizzle. Bad panic button elements.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 5:56PM saintnicster said

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 7:15PM (Unverified) said

Poor Terry. Think I'll have to round up a few Elflings and get them to crash his party.
Anyway, I've not really been able to get into my Crab Spider, while my Bane Spider is plain awesome, even solo. He may not have much defense for himself, but he can deal some pretty heavy damage up close

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 7:32PM Superfan said

My crab is pretty fun and can be quite rugged with pets and his patron pet. I was working on a Bane until I took my most recent break from the game.

Anyone hear when GR releases? Amazon says July 20 then another source said Sept. 2. Sept. seems more realistic since GR isn't even in closed Beta yet.

Posted: Jun 10th 2010 10:02AM bjooks said

I'm one of the new (soon-to-be) Crab Spiders, thanks to I17 opening up the VEATs at level 20. I appreciate the helpful advice and discussion, and I can't wait to soon reach the level where I can get me a crabbie backpack!

WoW Archivist: Epics