Posted: Jun 8th 2010 3:41PM DarthCheese said

Question of the day is though:

What will you get banned for this time?

Using the officially supported mouse?
Playing the game more than the average user?
Having your login info sold by curse admins?

One never knows with NCSoft!!!

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 4:00PM GRT said

FilePlanet is serving up the client itself, not a torrent.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 7:56PM Jef Reahard said

Thanks. Corrected the OP to reflect that.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 5:51PM Langx2 said

"Given that the game has been out for nine months, and has been patched fairly regularly, you're likely to have a lengthy download and update process if you re-install from your original game discs. "

This is incorrect. The game has been patched 3 times in 9 months, with the third time being last week. The latest patch is 3.9 gigs but it mostly locked content that will not be available for another 6 months.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 6:34PM Jef Reahard said

• 1 heart
Actually it's not incorrect. Had I said 'Aion has been patched four times since launch,' that would have been incorrect.

The reality is that it has been patched enough (i.e. fairly regularly) to warrant an updated full client to save people time. Thanks for trolling though.

/salute

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 6:58PM bjooks said

@Jef:

So if someone offers a correction, regardless of whether they were right or not, that's considered trolling? Really? He wasn't even rude about it. Unless you know of past trollish behavior by this guy (which I'll fully admit is possible), I saw no intent of trolling here... just defensiveness on your part.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 7:47PM Jef Reahard said

• 1 heart
@Davy:

Tbh, whatever the intent was, he was off base. Even if my OP had been incorrect, it was clearly an attempt to split hairs on a minor issue (which in my book is a troll). Normally I don't really care when people do that, but when they question the accuracy of my work and even quote it (and they're provably wrong), I care.

Call it defensiveness or whatever you like. Nothing personal.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 7:36PM Deadalon said

Free trial ? Nope - not intrested.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 9:04PM (Unverified) said

Dead, I think it's pretty safe to say this game will never offer a free trial.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 5:07AM Langx2 said

I am not trolling at all, and you are still incorrect. The game was updated 4 times. It received a patch on release day to bring the game from 1.0 to 1.5, then there was the 1.5.1 patch a month after release which slightly changed drop rates and allowed pet's to fly, and then 4 months of no updates at all. In january or so, there was a minor update that fixed some npc text problems that had existed since the game launched and then 3 more months of nothing. 1.9 was launched in June but the majority of content it introduced is locked until the fall. The game has yet to recieved it's first "real" content. That is not regular by any stretch of the definition. The players who signed up on day 1 are still doing the exact same content that they did then as they are doing now.

You may consider it splitting hairs, but to me it is an extremely misleading remark. A potential customer will read your post and will be misled into believing that that game receives regular (weekly/monthly/ect) updates (content, events, or bugfixes) which it does not, nor has it ever. The next scheduled update is 6 months from now. This will be the game's first true content patch, over a year after it has been released. Any player that signs on now and blows through the extremely limited content will be left waiting half a year for more updates. There is nothing regular about that.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 11:38AM Jef Reahard said

• 1 heart
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree (and I'll probably suggest you look up the definition of incorrect).

If, according to your latest post, the game was indeed updated 4 times (instead of the original 3 which lead you to state that I was incorrect) then that adds even more weight to the fact that it has been updated 'fairly regularly.'

As I said, you're splitting hairs. You can't assign a correct/incorrect value to the phrase 'fairly regularly,' which is exactly why I chose to write it that way. What is fairly regularly? Is it more than once or twice but less than ten? The answer will vary depending on who you talk to, which is why you, sir, are incorrect in stating that my OP was incorrect.

I get the fact that you don't like Aion, and you've taken it upon yourself to be some sort of unasked-for consumer champion, warning people away from the evils of NCsoft on game forums the world over, but here's the crux of the matter:

The game has been patched enough times for its maker to consider the time and effort it takes to offer an updated client to be a worthwhile investment. Whether or not the contents of these patches has (in your mind) been worthwhile or not is frankly irrelevant to the news item at hand. The updated client is there for new and old players to make use of, and that's really it.

Now, since you are a troll, and further attempts at explanation would be a waste of time, I bid you a good day.

/salute

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 3:26PM kgptzac said

Jef I think you are twisting the meaning of "trolling" a bit. Obviously Smith strongly disagrees with your definition of "fairly regularly", and he does not hide his dislike for Aion. What you did was to willing to "be trolled" and produced a serious of argumentative replies which combined length fairly exceeded your original article. Excuse my straightforwardness, but I think such action is rather unprofessional for someone who write for massively.com--isn't this place supposed to be more than a personal blog or a forum where you can choose to troll or be trolled all your want?

I'm sure Smith's reply wasn't being personal, but your accusation of him being a troll is indeed, personal. Sadly, I think you made yourself look like a troll more than everybody else here (maybe except me, for this reply, but I can't help it).

/nottrollingintentionally