Posted: Jun 7th 2010 6:46PM Jaimie said

Purified Fusion Stones without paying? That sounds interesting. As far as I knew those stones made a huge difference -- 6 stats per equipment versus the 4 of the one you bought with in-game gold.

$10 a mount wouldn't bother me ($20 is way too much), but my biggest complaint is the mounts are per character, not per account. At least the items you buy in WoW are account-wide so you never have to purchase them again.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 8:15PM (Unverified) said

I believe what he's saying is that you can get them by buying them for gold from another player who paid for them at the cash shop. Not that there is any in-game way for them to be obtained without _someone_ paying cash for them.

Could be wrong, though, I haven't looked at RoM for quite a while - I actually thought it typified all the worst excesses of the "pay to win" model.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 8:32PM jeremys said

Actually Carson, they are now in the game. As of now I only know that the Naga at the Naga Outpost in Weeping Coast can drop them, but they are attainable as an in-game-only option now.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 7:29PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like you're hitting the RoM "wall" -- very common occurrence. This is when I quit, that is after leveling two characters to 50, when the leveling becomes an extremely tedious grind, but you still can't find a group for the dungeons you wanna run unless you're in a guild with a decent membership.

RoM's way at character progression is just a problem and Siege is a case in point. One decently geared level 58 can wreck a dozen level 40-50's, if not two dozen.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 8:06PM (Unverified) said

RoM is actually the only cash shop game I spent any money in. I believe I paid 5 or 10 bucks for a permanent white horse mount. It's not a game I play often, but I like to jump on now and then when I can't sub to my favorite MMO, or I just need a little change. I keep an Elven Warden on hand.

Can't say it was a bad investment, 10 bucks for a pretty fun MMO to play every now and then.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 8:40AM (Unverified) said

They just got some money for me for one of the "premium" mounts. They were running one of their fairly frequent 2X diamonds promotions in the item store so I dropped $10 to get my mount. Compared to the $25 WoW wants for a special mount I thought this was a reasonable deal, especially when considering that I'm not paying a monthly fee.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 11:28AM Jaimie said

Just want to point out that while I wouldn't pay $25 for the Celestial Steed in WoW, it is a bit unfair to compare the two, especially for people who love to make several different characters. WoW's items are account bound, whereas you would have to buy one for every RoM character you decide to play seriously.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 2:39PM jeremys said

I agree that it's always hard to compare two games in such detail. Each has their own economies and play style that can give birth to individual value systems within the games.

I really love RoM's economy. I purchased several mounts over the year, but you can't add up what I paid based on the base cost of mounts. On top of RoM's diamond sales I wait for, I've also earned diamonds in-game through the auction house to use toward my purchases.

I will come out and admit this right now. /suspense :) I think WoW's "sparkle pony" is pretty cool (especially when it flies). However, I have not purchased one and don't plan on it simply because it's too much for me. Being account wide, the more characters you have the better the deal - right? I pretty much play one character. The fact it's account-wide means little to me. I liken it to a fast food restaurant: Maybe it's a really good value meal... for a family. The fact it will be forever doesn't really add value for me. It's no different than any game saying that (which many of them do offer items forever).

With RoM, I can earn $5 or $10 (more if I'm struck with a bout of OCD) clams worth of diamonds in game, and then purchase the rest, effectively cutting the price of mounts in half. And that's something I can easily get my hands on from paycheck to paycheck.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 11:13AM Enikuo said

There's an thread on the RoM forums called Cost Analysis: http://forum.us.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=42265

The tone is negative, but the math is interesting.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 2:53PM jeremys said

These guides can be very helpful for determining how deep you want to dig into your pocket for an MMO. There especially helpful if you are playing more than one MMO at a time, and can help you create a healthy game budget.

If they aren't locked or deleted by the mods, you'll find similar guides on most free-to-play game forums.

I've read over the guide and I would not recommend using it for anything except developing how much you want to spend over a certain period of time.

It's a great guide that has done the math and added up large quantities of items to show you where you could be for how much.

RoM's varying economy makes this very hard to determine as is admitted by the posts author on a couple occasions. An example would be the many comments that can't even decide on overall value for Everquest expansions that have come and gone through different sale bundles or deals.

In short, take it for what it is, but everything in the game is attainable without spending money. It's purely a time ratio. Go free= take longer.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 5:04PM Enikuo said

You know, it seems like whenever anyone starts talking about relative pricing in ftp games, it's as if we've suddenly started talking about theoretical math or cold fusion - we can't possibly know how much it costs because there are so many variables! It's too complicated! It's unknowable!

I think it's interesting to see what certain player profiles spend on average (raiders, crafters, fashionistas), but I base my budget on what makes sense in real life. I scale back my gaming goals to match that budget.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 11:30AM wjowski said

I can't wait until the MMO genre finally hits it's Great Crash and flotsam like this gets what it deserves.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014